PDA

View Full Version : Need parts info

badvox
11-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Ok guys and gals I have tried to get this info before somewhere else so I will try again. Thanks for the help if you have answers too!!

My son is racing an APEX Pro Mx 90

Which chain or chain info? Size (428) links (??) etc
Sprocket - What is stock? Are there aftermarket part numbers?
Brake Pads - Aftermarket PArt numbers?

Elka Shocks - Direct Bolt On or mod needed? Will they make them for his specs weight, riding, etc.. Can I get them from Elka or get them from an apex dealer?

Any other consumable type aftermarket parts instead of OEM?

What else do you racer parents stock for the season?

Sorry for all the questions I am just trying to be prepared this year and not repeat unpreparedness of last year.

Thanks again
Mike

digginfool
11-11-2006, 09:56 PM
I can answer the shock question for you. I just ordered a set of Elka shocks directly from the factory about a month ago. I had them valved for a 65 lb. rider (gear on) and ordered them with piggyback rezzies despite the fact that the salesperson said they would not fit. They do with room to spare, throughout the full range. The one mistake they made was sent the shocks with 8mm bushings instead of 10mm as required to match the stock mounting hardware. I had them 2 days later but they cost us a race weekend without the use of the shocks. The Elkas are the sh*t! You won't believe how much better they are over the stock shocks. It gave my son a tremendous boost in confidence. He is no longer bouncing all over the place from far too stiff spring rate on shocks with lousy damping ability (actually, severely over-damped). I highly recommend getting rid of the stock shocks but you don't necessarily need to spend $1,300.00, either. Fox and Works both have shocks that are quite good and not as pricey. As far as sprockets go, I would feel pretty safe saying anything that fits a Kasea or Eton will work on the Apex. Call your dealer and ask or wait for somebody here to answer definitively.

mxdad789
11-12-2006, 07:48 PM
To get the kasea sprocket to fit you have to go to a kasea style transmission. Which in my eyes are much better than the factory apex tranny on the 06 model havent seen the changes they did for the 07.

ProMX90
11-13-2006, 09:55 AM
The Apex uses a Polaris Predator style sprocket. Mine had 20 30 on it stock. It is a 428 chain, I switched mine over to an RK MXZ chain.

sadinkins
11-13-2006, 04:16 PM
i would also get assortment of jets,extra rollers,extra belt,some extra plastic variator slides.just things that come to mind right off & if it is not gusseted a good welder.

badvox
11-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by sadinkins
i would also get assortment of jets,extra rollers,extra belt,some extra plastic variator slides.just things that come to mind right off & if it is not gusseted a good welder.

LOL, yep its already gussted!!

Thanks to everyone for all of your answers and help. I forgot all about the belt and roller weights. he he :-)

KC's Dad
11-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Can someone explain the need to replace the "plastic variator slides"

Am I missing something here? I ran the same slides all year long with no visible problems and had good results. But yet I know some folks that replace them every moto?

sadinkins
11-16-2006, 07:21 PM
we run ballance mx and my son is wide open alot of the track if theres some 125 hondas for him to keep up with. we have got it so hot it has melted and cracked the slides,when it does this it will mess up the rollers and sometimes the belt.i have asked several people and they say its from the heat of holding it wide open for so long.i wish i knew how to solve this so i didn't have to tell him to take it easy because he worrys about his bike letting him down and if he gets a big lead he lets off & rides easy to save his bike. it would be interesting to see him have the confidence in it to run it the whole race.

wrhracing
11-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by KC's Dad
Can someone explain the need to replace the "plastic variator slides"

Am I missing something here? I ran the same slides all year long with no visible problems and had good results. But yet I know some folks that replace them every moto?
What you are witnessing are the results from a agressive cam plate and a slightly higher stall than you use.
The surface area is also less on the cam plate sliders over what you use.
The cam plate design that requires changing of the sliders DOES offer the absolute most bottom power delivery of any I ever used .
Same cam plate Kiefer Peak used when he won his first ever attended National in Texas . His dad Changed his sliders out after every practice and each moto.

kgmtech
11-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Where do you get this cam plate and who makes it?

wrhracing
11-21-2006, 05:02 PM
I get mine from me.:)

blazen582
06-02-2007, 09:11 PM
I can answer the shock question for you. I just ordered a set of Elka shocks directly from the factory about a month ago. I had them valved for a 65 lb. rider (gear on) and ordered them with piggyback rezzies despite the fact that the salesperson said they would not fit. They do with room to spare, throughout the full range. The one mistake they made was sent the shocks with 8mm bushings instead of 10mm as required to match the stock mounting hardware. I had them 2 days later but they cost us a race weekend without the use of the shocks. The Elkas are the sh*t! You won't believe how much better they are over the stock shocks. It gave my son a tremendous boost in confidence. He is no longer bouncing all over the place from far too stiff spring rate on shocks with lousy damping ability (actually, severely over-damped). I highly recommend getting rid of the stock shocks but you don't necessarily need to spend $1,300.00, either. Fox and Works both have shocks that are quite good and not as pricey. As far as sprockets go, I would feel pretty safe saying anything that fits a Kasea or Eton will work on the Apex. Call your dealer and ask or wait for somebody here to answer definitively.

Did you put these on your 06 Apex? I just bought a Apex 90 and I would like some more info on the elka shocks you bought. Like a number to contact to purchase.. And may be part numbers? My son is just getting started but today at the track he was a little scared of the landings because they where so hard.. Would the elka shocks make a big difference on the landings?