PDA

View Full Version : gettting the big bugs worked out!!!

Rootar
11-07-2006, 07:12 PM
well it seems has though the crf motor is bringing out every weakness my setup has, victims so far include rear fenders, 7/8ths bars (vibration and arm pump was hell), front brakes are so bad im now looking to do a 250r front conversion, chain guide, chain roller, sprockets, and my swingarm

well after we got her running great, i was out practicing at the track and i come out of a sharp turn and was on it really hard and was going up this lil jump and heard a loud crrr clankk..dingg, i looked down and it had snapped the chain roller AND mount right off the frame when i did this i guess the yank from the let go tension torqed (twisted and broke) my swingarm.

here is a pic and yes the frame is perfect that is jsut the swingarm

Lonestar_R
11-07-2006, 07:32 PM
I just want to give you my opion on the brake conversion...I think I would go with a 450R front brake setup instead.....the 250R calipers are so old and need rebuilt...the 450R fronts brakes are 2nd to none......I think you will be much happier in the end....hell brand new calipers are like 75 bucks a piece......thats the complete caliper....but thats just my 2 cents

Rootar
11-07-2006, 09:06 PM
yea your right but i havent seen any conversion plates i could buy to be able to use the 450r calipers, :ermm: hey zeb youll prolly read this, do you wanna machine me some conversion plates???

here is the replacement for the swing arm its a Janessen +1.25 chrome swinger, very nice and with a lifetime garuntee it should be strong enough to last awhile

Rootar
11-07-2006, 09:14 PM
to help with the arm pump and vibration i picked up a set of rethal fatbars and a 1 1/8ths antivibe clamp to hold the new larger bars, i got these bars and the antivibe clamp for $35 :eek2: :D thanks daniel they work perfect, (i think my lilbrother is gonna have the stem straightened and use it)

Rootar
11-07-2006, 09:21 PM
and to further help i got these ODI clamp on grips, let me tell you these are the best, the difference is amazing they have a greater circumference than other grips which means your fingers arent wrapped around as far to hold on good, basically means its alot easier to hold on and you feel alot less vibrations through the bars, besides it only took 15 whole seconds to install both of them and taking them off is just as simple, and they are solid when they are locked on, they are on the expensize side at $25 BUT theyre definetaly worth it.

Lonestar_R
11-08-2006, 05:21 AM
I would buy the spindles and hubs and the calipers.....you can pick up this stuff used and save some money.....I just think you will be happier with the 450R parts instead of the old 250R calipers

Rootar
11-08-2006, 06:59 AM
dang.. thats gonna be a pretty chunk of change for the spindles, hubs, and cailpers. wont this gonna change my front end geometry. i know i have to setup my front end agian but wont the castor change with the different spindle? is it more or less castor? i am on a budget man im only 17 and am the assitant manager at a restraunt, thats not much extra money after the bills are paid.

quadmxracer
11-08-2006, 08:27 AM
I see you have stock rubber lines up front. You could just try a set of dual stainless steel lines or a single T-type stainless steel line. Does wonders for brake feel and braking action. Just a thought.

-Clayton

deepcj7
11-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Rootar,

Nice post, I'm glad you added pictures....I find it extremely helpful for the rest of us going through with a build. Anybody else have a "lessons learned" they would like to share with the rest of us?

BTW, keep us posted on how your updates worked for you.

bansheemorphine
11-08-2006, 10:20 AM
i put 450r spindles,hubs and brakes on my 400ex the spindles are very similar it won't change the caster any and the brake made a world of difference

Rootar
11-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by quadmxracer
I see you have stock rubber lines up front. You could just try a set of dual stainless steel lines or a single T-type stainless steel line. Does wonders for brake feel and braking action. Just a thought.

-Clayton

those were just temperary, i pinched one side of my ss lines and i havent put my new set of ss lines on, i have problems with the slide pins, and they jsut arent strong enough coming off a straightaway , you have to brake earlier which makes you slower.

front need a dual piston setup no matter the quad all should have good brakes, i have tryed pads, rotors, im on my 3rd set of 400ex cailpers,

Rootar
11-08-2006, 08:35 PM
she is done agian for now i gotta take her out this weekend and pound on her and see what i can break now:o . this is kinda fun i have all winter to try my hardest to break stuff then replace it with something stronger, so when the new season comes around ill have a solid bike thats strong enough to handle anything i can throw at it.

protraxrptr17
11-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Ross, just get your hands on some calipers, I can make 'em fit your 400EX spindles.

You did ruin that swingarm.

Make sure all the teeth are on your sprockets. The torque from these engines will break teeth off and cause the chain to ride up and get super tight causing chain rollers to break off and maybe even mess up your transmission. I break teeth off my rear sprocket all the time. The price we pay for power:eek2:

Rootar
11-09-2006, 10:52 PM
they are on the way, you sure we can do this? nvm thats a dumb question you have a machine shop of course you can. im getting the 450r front master cyclinder also becasue it is supposed to flow better. how much is this gonna cost me to have you make them fit? lol i might beable to buy the spindles hubs and rotors for cheaper... but what fun would that be.

after i get ym gearing where i want it ill be giving sidwinder a call for a full setup, that way ill be worry free, with regular maintence.

protraxrptr17
11-12-2006, 06:32 PM
It'll cost you gas to drive over here and a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Rootar
11-12-2006, 06:49 PM
sounds good, if the cailipers get here this week you want to do it this sunday afternoon?

i also have two other SMALL things i need you to do but im going to pay for them, i need an custom intake tube and the back of my airbox fixed. should be too hard,

gtilley45
11-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Rootar

i also have two other SMALL things i need you to do but im going to pay for them, i need an custom intake tube and the back of my airbox fixed. should be too hard,

I'm in the same boat.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=262581

Rootar
11-13-2006, 09:09 AM
zeb could we make a tube set up like this to go to my UM airbox ? the over teh frame setup isnt working well and i want to try to go under the upper frame rail like this....

11-13-2006, 09:31 AM
How can the front breaks suck? My 400ex with stock calipers and stock break lines and still could lock the front tires up going down the road.

Rootar
11-13-2006, 11:34 AM
the slide pins keep frezzing and they just arent strong enough mine will lock up yes up you dont want them to lock up then you are sliding. you want to stop that means gradually and in racing you want that gradually to be fast, they cant hold pressure unless you do lock them up or not, i havent found a good gradual braking with any setup i have tryed

protraxrptr17
11-13-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Rootar
zeb could we make a tube set up like this to go to my UM airbox ? the over teh frame setup isnt working well and i want to try to go under the upper frame rail like this....

Yeah, we can do that. I might be able to do this Sunday, but it doesn't look real good. Maybe the day after Thanksgiving or that Sunday.

The boot on my bike looks similar to that one. Measure your velocity stack OD and your airbox flange OD so I can round up some material. That's the worst part of the process. I don't even have an airbox. My filter attaches directly to the boot, and the boot has a mount that bolts to the subframe. The filter gets dirty quicker, but it's light, doesn't take up any room, and it can't restrict airflow.

Rootar
11-13-2006, 09:44 PM
yea its 2 1/4" inch going at the carb and then itll need a 3 3/8" ring at the air box for my filter to mount to, or we could do like the setup i pictured and just build a tube that starts about 2 inches after the carb and goes around the shock, then megaphones up to a piece of big radiator hose that attaches to my filter, then i could silcone up the radiator hose where it goes in the end of the air box to seal it up

the sunday after thanksgiving is looking good, i cant ride it till i get a new waterpump cover gasket anyway mine is leaking, plus ive orderd a new 13t front sproket, case saver, flexx bars, this airbox cover that velorcos on top of my air box thats made of outwears filter cover stuff, a dual steering dampner setup, and the list goes on.....