PDA

View Full Version : not quite waterproof

red4ever
11-07-2006, 05:05 PM
my 250ex sputter and dies when i hit mud or water over 20mph. what can i do to make it stop? im getting pretty sick of standing it up and letting the carb drain before i can start it

Conman007
11-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Slow down before you enter the water.

red4ever
11-07-2006, 05:23 PM
that isnt an option. my friends drive off and leave my little 250 as it is

hillclimbingrec
11-07-2006, 08:47 PM
slow down!!!

it's getting in your snorkel

kick
11-08-2006, 09:13 AM
How much water are you talking about????

I do literally 3 dozen stream crossings every time I ride and I've never stalled out. Some are a foot and a half deep and I'll creep through those...

But then a lot of them are a half foot deep and I'll blast right through those at the top of 3rd. Never had a problem with that. I'm imagining for you to be having a problem you're trying to crash through 1 foot + deep water hauling ***.

300exOH
11-08-2006, 09:20 AM
I would make sure the problem isn't that water is getting in your electrical contacts first. Get some dielectric grease from an auto parts store and put it on all of your electrical connections including inside the spark plug boot. Also make sure the rubber splash guard under the front fenders is intact so it can deflect the water away from the air intake. If those don't solve the problem then you are going too fast through water that is too deep for the quad.

red4ever
11-08-2006, 04:06 PM
i checked and i have a cracked boot. where can i get a new one

bigj250
11-09-2006, 05:41 PM
dont go in its fast you r going 2 crack your cylinder and then ur f$@*ed

bwamos
11-10-2006, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by bigj250
dont go in its fast you r going 2 crack your cylinder and then ur f$@*ed

:huh

If your engine's hot enough to crack the cylinder when hitting the water.. you've go a lot more problems than the water.

Besides what's the difference between water hitting it fast.. or watter hitting it slow? ;) ATV's are made to withstand water spray.

To the OP. You can get a new boot from the dealership or other suppliers like servicehonda.

Honda4lyphe
11-10-2006, 08:30 PM
3 things id do

1. theres a little tube under your air box, if the water (and only water..dont do this with mud) is getting in your snorkel then take the tube off, this drains the water from the air box but ONLY if its a short amount of time in fairly deep water, if you spending too much time..your gonna sputter out plus have alot of water in your airbox till you get it out, a 250ex is fairly reliable in water (or was for me) so i wouldnt worry too much.

2. wheelie through it :devil:

3. make a homeade snorkel, or buy one. i cant remember the 250ex setup but you should be able to make an ad on like some utilities, but id make sure it was removeable..id hate haveing a big thing sticking out of my quad haha, and your box wouldnt be getting much air though..hmm im not really sure on this only one way to find out eh?

what year is your 250? i had borrowed an 06 cos i totled my other 400ex awhile back and the 06 had a sports clutch, which helped me alot in mud to keep the engine running, if you have an 06 (or if you have the sportsclutch) get up to damn high speed and about in the middle of the mud/water pop the cluch rev it high and let out..that always did me well

red4ever
11-11-2006, 09:13 AM
finally sum1 that helps! i like the extended snorkel idea but how can i keep some of the dust and dirt and stuff out of it?

Honda4lyphe
11-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by red4ever
finally sum1 that helps! i like the extended snorkel idea but how can i keep some of the dust and dirt and stuff out of it?

well..all i can say is ride with it on when your going deep water rideing, if your not take it off. i just been trying to think of a good set up for this..i need it myself i go creek rideing in the summer, but ive only seen this done on utilities so im really not sure how itd work, i dont think id worry about the dust and dirt as its extended.

i just thought of a great set up writeing this post! alright, instead of makeing the snorkel point strait up, have it pointed slanted outwards a good distance (above your handlebars) with this your airbox is getting plenty of air and its just getting little splashes of water in it, the only thing is makeing it so it doesnt hit anything hot on the engine and that it comes out at the right angle. im really not sure but you might be able to make it point out of the left front fender..well after that im stuck on ideas that will work but if you could find a good extension that would fit and make it point slanted i can almost gurintee it will work great and solve your problem. if you got rean ambitious you should cut a hole in your fender to fit it (would make life easier..but you got a big hole in your fender heh) im not really sure id have to look at a 250ex again to make sure it would work