PDA

View Full Version : New KFX action photos up...

ThePhantomRider
11-07-2006, 01:40 PM
I don't know if this is news or not, but I was on the Kawasaki site and they said the KFX 450 will be released early 2007, and they also have some MX and dune action photos of the 450.

It looks like a sweet machine!!

TPR

ThePhantomRider
11-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Another

ThePhantomRider
11-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Another...

YFZ450Ridr
11-07-2006, 01:53 PM
great lookin bike i think. heres a link to the rest of the pics, quite a few.

http://kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=211&content=photos

gbcap
11-07-2006, 02:03 PM
it still looks like a very tall...top heavy bike to me.

CHEVYZ
11-07-2006, 03:28 PM
As much as I have looked at that bike, it still looks very funny to me. Maybe with a couple aftermarket parts they will appeal to me more.

SET THE STAGE
11-07-2006, 07:58 PM
oh man, so excited for this thing!

http://kawasaki.com/ImagesMain/Products/Action/ba4558e3-4f16-46be-a197-dc970806429d.scale.jpg

http://kawasaki.com/ImagesMain/Products/Action/663b39c9-a4fe-46ce-8d23-48acfddb1f55.scale.jpg

http://kawasaki.com/ImagesMain/Products/Action/a644f909-23f2-4781-90e8-2cb4a45977d7.scale.jpg

http://kawasaki.com/ImagesMain/Products/Action/297ee100-70c1-41d5-a283-755192f06e1d.scale.jpg

STEVENJANNA
11-08-2006, 08:02 AM
I think it looks top heavy because the front plastics come up so high. Look at them they come up almost to the bar pad.

hsr
11-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Looks narrow in some shots, and wider in others. I agree about the Hood and front plastics making it look tall and tipsy. Minus the looks, this thing looks like a very very competitive and innovative bike.

bigbadbubba
11-08-2006, 02:16 PM
glad i got my suzuki .. :rolleyes: looks rediculous

SET THE STAGE
11-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by bigbadbubba
glad i got my suzuki .. :rolleyes: looks rediculous

your spelling is "rediculous".

but seriously, since when is competitive racing all about looks? i have a feeling this thing is going to be on top.

also, those saying it looks top heavy because of the fenders. those come off for a shorter/more race look. lol

bigbadbubba
11-08-2006, 05:44 PM
it remeinds me of a dinosour and it looks really really bad for the track

Dupontster
11-08-2006, 05:56 PM
I think it looks like itll be a good GNCC bike.

bigbadbubba
11-08-2006, 07:29 PM
thats about it

SET THE STAGE
11-08-2006, 08:19 PM

durka, it's stock. only thing really "good" for a track is the ltr in stock form. throw some 18" tires in the rear, 20"s in the front, take off the fenders and lights and you'll have a nice mx machine.

and being that it's motor is based off the fastest 450 bike out right now, i think it'll pull ahead of the rest.

Dale512
11-08-2006, 10:06 PM
It does look alittle tall, but thats because of the way the plastics are designed. I think it looks good, but I prefer the looks of the YFZ overall, nice and simple. As far as width, I doubt it's 48", probably closer to 46.5" like the Yamaha & Honda. Power wise, should be competitive. Another solid entry into the 450 class no doubt.

Also, for SET THE STAGE: The 07 KTM & 07 Honda 450 dirtbike engines both put out more HP & Torque than the Kawasaki 450 dirtbike and the KTM revs almost 13,000rpm. It's crazy and the head design is just awesome on the new KTM. Although in 06 the KX450F was the most powerful 450 dirtbike engine of the big 5.

SET THE STAGE
11-09-2006, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Dale512
Also, for SET THE STAGE: The 07 KTM & 07 Honda 450 dirtbike engines both put out more HP & Torque than the Kawasaki 450 dirtbike and the KTM revs almost 13,000rpm. It's crazy and the head design is just awesome on the new KTM. Although in 06 the KX450F was the most powerful 450 dirtbike engine of the big 5.

really? i've been told it's still the most powerful to this date

Jersey450R
11-09-2006, 06:37 AM
that is definitly creamer on that bike, look at the style!

Dale512
11-09-2006, 09:32 AM
I've had the pleasure to be witness to the 07 bikes being dynoed all at once with the exception of the RM-Z. I'll give you the numbers.

CRF 52.1HP
KXF 50.5HP
KTM 54.9HP
YZF 50.1HP
Husky 53.6HP

Although having rode the 07 RM-Z I would say it's close to the YZ-F powerwise. Very, Very smooth powerbands on both. The KTM has an insane Mid-Range & Top-End. The KX-F signs off up top alittle bit early for 07.

jamiesel
11-10-2006, 11:27 PM
With regards to the HP #'s, I don't think it will be too helpfull to look at the dirt bikes because they often cam time quads differantly add another ring the most important... This one has FI!!!

genxracer
11-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
that is definitly creamer on that bike, look at the style!

I was wondering who it was...could be Creamer, but it imight be Jason Luburgh from what i heard

hsr
11-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by genxracer
I was wondering who it was...could be Creamer, but it imight be Jason Luburgh from what i heard

Looks more like creamer than luburgh, you would be able to tell if it was luburgh..

SRH
11-20-2006, 02:42 PM

yeah, what were dinosaurs like ? ever ride one? did any of your freinds get stepped on by one?

kfx is gonan be super competitive, glad to see all the big 4 and ktm have a 450 quad

11-22-2006, 11:41 PM
hell yeah, im getting me one... ! !

MaxxRPM
11-23-2006, 08:03 AM
Though I'm not looking to get one, I'm sure it will be a kick ***** atv. Why wouldn't it be? I'm just overjoyed to see Kawi get in the sport game..............:macho
Its all about choices folks and there's more (and still to come) than ever before. Remember the sport quads we had to choose from in the mid 90s..........:ermm:

lepred
11-23-2006, 03:08 PM
I think the only thing that will let the bike down is the frame, I sure hope they got it right cos Ive got one comming.

hsr
11-24-2006, 11:47 AM
In this day and age , if these mfg's are going to get one thing right it better be the frame. The Honda frames are ridiculous , and the yamahas aren't far off. There's no excuse for these things to be breaking like they are.

motomanmike
11-26-2006, 07:28 AM
the frame should be pretty good, rigid, they say its based similar to the cannondales and i've never heard of one of those cracking.

Mud_Slinging
11-30-2006, 08:38 PM
I think this quad is going to give the current 450's a run for their money in the MX course and in the GNCC races....Could use some new tires, and maybe a few motor mods, and some cosmetic changes(Maybe a graphics kit, or some race fenders, and maybe a diff hood), but overall...I think it's going to be TOP DOG!!!! :macho

Rusty91o
12-04-2006, 10:33 PM
I definitely think the KFX is going to change alot in the sport ATV world. I think it will give Honda a run for their money, give Yamaha something to try and chase and real stiff competition for Suzuki. Each with their 450's. Then KTM with their new 450 quad. Who knows what's next. I hope I can get one. I Just hope it's not too expensive. With all the extra research and work done to make it work, (the Alluminum frame, reverse in the 450 motor)

DieselBoy
12-06-2006, 10:34 AM
It's different, I like it. Something different for a change.

MI_CDALE_Rider
12-09-2006, 04:12 PM
Its funny to see people post their subjective comments regarding the cosmetics of the KFX450...who the bleep cares? you go out and race and it gets muddy/dirty etc. If you are really into vanity that much don't race LOL

It will be very interesting to see the final ride height, the ease of the reverse function, how quickly the fuel injection allows the quad to start, how well the frame is built (Cannondale qualilty?),
and how quickly aftermarket parts (bumpers, etc..) will be available.

I look forward to checking this quad out!

12-19-2006, 12:42 PM
to me, the words "rigid" and "aluminum" don't go together. And, besides the more rigid something is, the more likely stress cracks will appear. I think the frame will be a disaster.

But, I think it's awesome Kawi is coming out with a 450. I've always loved the Kawi green. Although, the all black color scheme looks totally sick!!!

Baracudaaa
12-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Its soooo funny to see the same bunch of retards debating about the pros and cons of an ATV that isnt out yet. You realize this debating is worthless, right, its all based on speculation and magazine articles.

12-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Everyone bow down to the almighty, Baracudaaa!!

Man, shut your pie hole. If you don't want to discuss the kawi, then stay out of this forum. Simple as that. Everyone is just excited about it. Discussing and debating are part of what these forums are about. So, leave your "name calling" at the door, please.

Baracudaaa
12-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Haaaaaaaahahahaha! Pie hole!! I thought I was the only one who used that term. Relax, dont take it personal Mr. Force, no need to get your drawers in a bunch. Sorry if my last post was rude, after re-reading it again I admit it was out of line. You guys are not 'retards', I was just having a tough day at work and was venting. You may now continue, you have my permission Mr.Force.

12-29-2006, 07:48 AM
Thank you for standing up and taking responsibility for your actions, Mr. Baracudaa. Everyone can relate to bad days at work. You are forgiven. Happy new year to all!!

MI_CDALE_Rider
12-30-2006, 05:00 AM
Some positive things from the featues/specs page here:

http://kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=211&content=features

and here

http://kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=211&content=specifications

I like the fact that Kawasaki is thinking about the details... i.e. the lighter throttle spring return force, large airbox, the 1 down four up trans with the reverse below 1st accessed thru a release lever (good idea), shaped seat, easy to remove headlights, and optional kick start is awesome....

the seat height of 30.9 in is good vs. the trx450 (32.4in) and the YFX450 (31.9in). The width is there as well at 46in vs. TRX450 (46.3) and YFX450 (46.1). The KFX suffers 14lbs in the dry weight area at 364 vs. 350 for both of the others. Fuel capacity is the same as the YFX at 2.6 vs. TRX450's 3.2

I can't wait to see theinital ride reviews for throttle response in different conditions as well as cornering and how quickly it starts

krt400ex
12-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by SET THE STAGE

and being that it's motor is based off the fastest 450 bike out right now, i think it'll pull ahead of the rest.

its only fastest cuz buuba is racing it....don't get me wrong, im not saying its slow....but the CRF is alot faster

450rJam
01-07-2007, 07:59 PM
well with the years of just running the "copy cat z400" and getting into the 450 market 4 years late, kawi has no excuses for putting out an under developed racer.

I agree the frame may make or break it, I think it will be competitive but as far as taking the lead and running with it ?

Im thinking honda/yamaha may want to add a mx package much like the hrc/gytr type kits.
wider arms, 18" tires etc.

something to take the little edge zuki has away.
not that many people are running the stock susp. ltr

I will take a wait and see approach, it will take a "sure thing"
to get the foot in the door in this market.

theTman
01-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by hsr
Looks more like creamer than luburgh, you would be able to tell if it was luburgh..

yeah it looks like creamer...he races local series here so im pretty familiar with his style

user242
01-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Hello all,

First time here. Wanted to shoot some of my input on the new KFX450R.

Anyway, I'm really considering getting this new KFX450R. I really like the specs, details and looks of it. Just went to a Motorcycle new bike show over the weekend and noticed that on the Suzuki ITR450 it seemed like it has a really wide track with small wheels and tires, which actually made it seem like a really small ATV. That may be a great set up for track racing but a Suzuki rep told me that if you mostly do trail riding (which I mostly do) then I should go for something like their Z400 with shorter width, larger tires, and reverse. Looking at the KFX450R it looks like it has larger tires, reverse and shorter axle width which would accomodate my type of trail riding. Looks like this bike will suit my needs very well....

On another note will this KFX450R require more maintanance than lets say a Raptor 660 or Z400?

thanks....

450rJam
01-15-2007, 03:22 PM
the higher strung the more maint. as a general rule.

I dont think you can get a better trail quad than the 700raptor.

jmo

krt400ex
01-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by user242
Hello all,

First time here. Wanted to shoot some of my input on the new KFX450R.

Anyway, I'm really considering getting this new KFX450R. I really like the specs, details and looks of it. Just went to a Motorcycle new bike show over the weekend and noticed that on the Suzuki ITR450 it seemed like it has a really wide track with small wheels and tires, which actually made it seem like a really small ATV. That may be a great set up for track racing but a Suzuki rep told me that if you mostly do trail riding (which I mostly do) then I should go for something like their Z400 with shorter width, larger tires, and reverse. Looking at the KFX450R it looks like it has larger tires, reverse and shorter axle width which would accomodate my type of trail riding. Looks like this bike will suit my needs very well....

On another note will this KFX450R require more maintanance than lets say a Raptor 660 or Z400?

thanks....

the kfx is going to be higher maintenance than the 66R or Z, but as long as u keep up with it it will be fine.

a good maintenance program for a 450 race bike is to change the oile every 10-15 hrs, rebuild the top end every 100 hrs(if ur not beating on it...otherwise sooner), and adjust the valves every 20 hrs at the most. then u should be good to go and it will just keep ticking.

krt400ex
01-16-2007, 11:18 AM
oh yea....and welcome to the site:D

user242
01-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Nice to meet you too Kurt.

Thanks for the advice. How difficult is it to adjust the valves like you mentioned? What tools etc. are needed? And I assume to rebuild the Top end after like 100hrs. would probably require a engine overhaul correct and extensive work right? I don't know too much about fixing motorcycles but I'm always willing to pick up and learn something new....

thanks again...:cool:

krt400ex
01-17-2007, 02:15 PM
adjusting the valves isn't that hard to do. i have personaly never done it, but i could do it if i wanted to. you will need the basic tools as well as a torque wrench and a feeler guage(maybe something else that i am forgetting). all you would really have to do is talk to a shop and see if there are any specialty tools besides what i have stated that you may need, and then decide if you really need them and if the smae job could be done with the general tools. generally the valve clearance should be at or around .006-.007 in.

i wouldn't go as far as to say a total overhaul. more like a new piston and rings, and thoroughly checking out all the bearings and the internals of the head to make sure everything is in spec, and replacing anything that is worn out. i would also do new valve seals and valve seats during that kind of a rebuild.

it is not all that expensive to do it yourself, it just takes the right tools some mechanical inclination and a good shop manual. i prefer clymer, but there are also other good ones too.

a rebuild would cost like around $200 if you do it yourself, and the valve adjustment costs zero $$ after you buy the proper tools. if you have someone else do the rebuild it can cost as much as $500 total, but you might be able to find a good performance shop that is lees expensive(never go to the stealerships). IMO the increased performance of a 450 over a 400 or smaller machine is more than worth the cost of maintenance

user242
01-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks again for the info Kurt. I guess these racing 450 style bikes rev much higher than lets say a Raptor 660 or KFX700 and reach it's maintanace schedule much quicker because of the increase revs and higher temperatures produced....right?

krt400ex
01-17-2007, 04:36 PM
yes...they rev up to 10,000 RPM stock, and the tolerances r much tighter. they have much lighter materials, and run almost like 2 strokes. great bikes because een though they rev super high and super fast like a 2 stroke, they have all the torque of a 4 stroke, so they actually hook up really well.

if u were to buy something such as a 400ex u wouldn't have to maintain them with such a rigorous schedule because they are more of a trail motor, they don't rev as fast, but they will last longer between rebuilds.

Smidgy
01-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by force
to me, the words "rigid" and "aluminum" don't go together. And, besides the more rigid something is, the more likely stress cracks will appear. I think the frame will be a disaster.

But, I think it's awesome Kawi is coming out with a 450. I've always loved the Kawi green. Although, the all black color scheme looks totally sick!!!

The more rigid a frame is, the less stress cracks will show up, stress cracks are from excessive deformation, which you will get when something is passed beyond its elastic limit, so the more rigid a frame the less chance there is of a piece of frame deforming, the reason most stress cracks are around the welds is because of the different consistancy of metal at the welds, and the added stress concentrators of the weld itself, not the rigidity of the frame. So in other words, everything you said in the first paragraph is wrong.

450rJam
01-18-2007, 03:24 PM
hmmmmmmmmmm
I guess I was wrong in my thinking as well.

I thought that rigid (say like glass) breaks easyier than say plexiglass because it can flex.

kind of the same philosophy with large buildings in earthquakes
or bridges (ever park on a bridge and feel a large truck shake the
whole bridge as it goes over?)
if it was rigid it would crack.

just what I thought.

krt400ex
01-18-2007, 04:39 PM
you do want a little bit of flex, but with aluminum that does not hold true. rigid is better, and you get a better feel for the machine from it too

heath720
02-02-2007, 05:26 PM
im curious to see how this thing stacks up against the rest but i think its gonna be like all the rest. the factory says its race ready right out of the box but then everyone has to put everything on it anyways. i think its gonna be up to the rider like all the other machines. doug gust or john natalie will look fast on anything you put them on. with enough practice on a machine anyone could do fast. i am plan on sticking with the honda. but thats just my opinion.

yam450_53
02-03-2007, 09:00 AM
new pic i found

http://kfx450hq.com/invision/uploads/monthly_02_2007/post-1-1170475947.jpg

krt400ex
02-03-2007, 09:08 AM
that stock pipe looks super super restrictive :eek2:

i dunno how that machine is supposed to have more power than the competitiion(stock) when it is so choked up

bwamos
02-05-2007, 06:38 AM
Umm.. the peashooters coming out of the back of the other stock quads are no bigger. ;)

That's how they meet their emmissions & dB requirements.

krt400ex
02-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Umm.. the peashooters coming out of the back of the other stock quads are no bigger. ;)

That's how they meet their emmissions & dB requirements.

looks smaller than the stock 400ex or 450R to me. looks like the same size as the 300ex

bwamos
02-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Looks pretty small to me.
Can't really judge a machines potential based on it's corked up condition. If it's smaller maybe it needed more corking???

250exkid
02-05-2007, 09:53 AM
hey bwamos can you clear some of your privet messages out so i can PM you?

02-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by 450rJam
hmmmmmmmmmm
I guess I was wrong in my thinking as well.

I thought that rigid (say like glass) breaks easyier than say plexiglass because it can flex.

kind of the same philosophy with large buildings in earthquakes
or bridges (ever park on a bridge and feel a large truck shake the
whole bridge as it goes over?)
if it was rigid it would crack.

just what I thought.

yes, this is how i view it also. Another example would be plastic dog food bowls. It has been very cold here the past few weeks. Of course, whatever water the dogs don't drink, gets frozen in the bowl. Also, due to the cold temperatures, the dog bowls are much more rigid then they are in warm temperatures. I have cracked several bowls while trying to knock the ice out of them. If the temperatures were warm, i could pound the bowls against the tree as hard as possible, and they would never crack. I think Smidgy is just trying to use fancy terms to make his view believable. The TRUTH is, the more rigid something is, the more likely it is to break/crack under shock loading. Rigid = very hard/brittle.

QUADROOKIE
02-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by force
yes, this is how i view it also. Another example would be plastic dog food bowls. It has been very cold here the past few weeks. Of course, whatever water the dogs don't drink, gets frozen in the bowl. Also, due to the cold temperatures, the dog bowls are much more rigid then they are in warm temperatures. I have cracked several bowls while trying to knock the ice out of them. If the temperatures were warm, i could pound the bowls against the tree as hard as possible, and they would never crack. I think Smidgy is just trying to use fancy terms to make his view believable. The TRUTH is, the more rigid something is, the more likely it is to break/crack under shock loading. Rigid = very hard/brittle.
This is only partly true. Being rigid, it IS more likely to break under shock loading. The difference is that when engineered correctly, it takes much, much more force to get to that breaking point than it does to push a steel comparable frame to that point. Yes, a steel frame will flex, and no an aluminum will not, but the steel will be pushed past it's "flex" point before an aluminum will be pushed past the limits of it's rigidity.

450rJam
02-05-2007, 03:05 PM
im not saying your wrong at all but I have my reservations on how this frame will last, If it does well it will be breaking ground for the other big makes to follow suit.

the reverse gear will make this thing an increadable woods/trail
quad.

5thgearpinned
02-10-2007, 07:39 AM
bike is sooo sick....

yamadjs08
02-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
im not saying your wrong at all but I have my reservations on how this frame will last, If it does well it will be breaking ground for the other big makes to follow suit.

the reverse gear will make this thing an increadable woods/trail
quad. Cannondales frames are probably one of the most rigid frames out there. If Kawi does it right it will be VERY strong. Cannondale frames are one of the strongest frames on the market (including aftermarket)... Lets just hope Kawi doesn't go cheap...

02-15-2007, 03:10 PM
looks like another top heavy quad....suzuki has the best 450 out IMO

270 mechanic
02-15-2007, 03:24 PM
This bike has over 50 straight endurance hrs on it with Creamer and Luburgh doing most of it and of all the hrs and jumping and beating it the frame never showed any signs of cracking or even stress!!! And if it would have Kawasaki would have made it better they are not going for a second rate bike from what I have seen when i was there testing!!! As far as it being top heavy I dont think this is a problem!!! In 05 Creamer raced a Yamaha and won a Championship in the pro am on it and last year he placed 9th in the WPSA after missing two races due to injury, he has told me this is the best jumping and overall bike he has ever ridden and cant wait to get it on the track to turn heads!!!!!!

strubby
02-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Honda86
looks like another top heavy quad....suzuki has the best 450 out IMO

Agreed Suzuki did their homework on the LTR, but the Kawi has second to lowest seat height. The LTR only being lower because of it's 18" tires, and only by .2".

FutrTrphyWife8
03-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Just so we know..... it's neither Jason nor Josh in those pics!