PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work as a mechanic for a living?

mps211
11-07-2006, 01:09 PM
I am over half way done with my schooling and I was wondering what types of tools you use? My school has a deal with Matco and we get 52% off thier stuff. I was wondering if they are worth the $$ or if craftsman do just as good as job.

brian-250
11-07-2006, 05:18 PM
I swear by Snap on but MAC and Matco are just as good, but i have broke a few MAC sockets and never broke a Snap on. In most of the shops around here everyone uses Snap on. You might pay a little more but most of the time the tools pay for them selves.

underpowered
11-07-2006, 05:41 PM
good tools are worth their weight in gold. i used to use all craftman, but they constantly break. mac, matco, or snap-on is the only way to go. craftman are fine for teh weekend mechanic, but if you used them for your job get something better.

all we use at home is craftman, but at work (an ATV/motorcycle shop) the full time mechanic has a mix of snap on and craftsman. he always has something to take back to sears to replace, but never breaks a snap on.

brian-250
11-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
but never breaks a snap on.

I love hearing that.:p

underpowered
11-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by brian-250
I love hearing that.:p

lol. we have a 1.4 snap-on ratchet here at home that must be atleast 40 years old. found it burried in teh ground at my grandpa's house. cleaned it up, and we now use it all the time.

gotwarrior
11-07-2006, 06:01 PM
I agree, snap-on is one of the best...

wvspeedfreak
11-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Snap-on ratchets are definately the best out there in my opinion,I rarely use anything else.However alot of their hand tools are wayyyy overpriced.Granted you are paying for the guy to stop by your shop every week but there are other tools that are excellent for every day use and less expensive.

mps211
11-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the help i just wanted to make sure the school wasn't blowing smoke up our @$$es b/c they are sponsored by MAtco.

AtvMxRider
11-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
Snap-on ratchets are definately the best out there in my opinion,I rarely use anything else.However alot of their hand tools are wayyyy overpriced.Granted you are paying for the guy to stop by your shop every week but there are other tools that are excellent for every day use and less expensive.

Exactly, Snap-on,Mac and Matco are good for your specialty tools but there is nothing wrong with Craftsman tools. Well I can't count on both hands how many Snap-on and MAc tools I have broken. Anybody that say they haven't broken one isn't using them;)

Mxjunkie
11-08-2006, 08:34 PM
I've broken the gears in a snap on rachet, I broke the head off a swival rachet too and broken the tips off a couple of the screw drivers but the snappy guy allways replaces em at work :p Good tool's little pricey though

Craftsmen stuff isnt to shabby, the only rachets we've ever had problems with is the huge drive rachets (gears broke in the head) other then that good stuff for the price..

I also like S&K alot!

Lowcountrydave
11-08-2006, 08:48 PM
All the big name tools are fine. I have mainly Craftmans, some Snap-on, Mac, Blackhawk, etc... I used the Craftman for a year and a half in a garage. Only broke the gears in a 3/8 long ratchet (Craftmans) Breaking loose a lower control arm on a Honda.

I have a 1/4, 3/8 deep/shallow Blackhawk socket set since 1989! Only socket ever broken was by a buddy. Using a impact with a none impact socket. Blackhawk replaced it no questions.

I think it depends on how you use the tool.

Dave

Architects
11-09-2006, 02:09 AM
Personally I think matco is nicer then snap on. Personally as long as the tool has a lifetime warranty its good in my eyes. Craftsman,Mac,Snap-on,Matco. Dont overlook some knock-off brands that are made by the bigger companies like blue pointe which is snap-on. Blackhawk is MAC im pretty sure. Proto is made by stanley and so on.