PDA

View Full Version : Pipe help! (millionth time its been asked)

protegespecter
11-07-2006, 12:27 PM
I know that this is probably the most common thread in this forum, but i need help on choosing a pipe i've read/researched quite a few hours on this topic and studied the dyno graphs on http://www.wppracing.com/links.htm
but nothing beats good ol' personal experience. So I've got a '05 450r its got an open airbox (170 main), stage2 hotcam, and thats about it I do a lot of play riding, the occasional dune trip, and want to start doing a little mx. I'm stuck between the HMF bill ballance/ironman, curtis sparks, and the Yoshimura Trc comp series. One more question I keep hearing the Sparks is an awesome pipe, but why did it score so low on the dyno??
sorry for such a long post I just don't want to be another noob throwin out a "help me don't want to research" thread.
Thanks
Chris

CHEVYZ
11-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Why are you leaving out some of the top performers? (Dasa, Rossier, etc.) The pipes that you listed are all decent, but are much "milder" performing systems compared to many others on the market right now.

protegespecter
11-07-2006, 12:44 PM
from what I understood the Rossier is topend pipe and a want some more low end grunt. I cant find the dasa pipe anywhere for the 05 if you got a site where I can check out the Dasa and order it i'll be glad to take a peek at it. Pulse charger is great too, but i know that they were have legal disputes with the patent and stopped producing them for a while and thats what turned me off of them.

CHEVYZ
11-07-2006, 01:04 PM
I cannot speak for Rossier since I have not tried it personally, but alot of people can probably chime in on its power. Sparks is not a bottom end performer. HMF has very good bottom end, but at the same time dies out badly on the top.

Dasa impressed me with the way it pulled strong from bottom to top. I recommend DASA to just about everybody looking for an exhaust system.

Here is one of many sites that sells DASA.

http://www.fuelatv.com/TRX450R.htm

protegespecter
11-07-2006, 01:13 PM
That Dasa sounds like its nice pipe its definately a thought especially if its good all over but i still would like to hear about the Yoshi looking at the dyno for that pipe is confusing its tested with a bunch of other variables.

7 speed
11-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Check out Gigot Performance.

S.S. header Sick!!!!

protegespecter
11-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Do you have a site for Gigot perf. I googled it and got nothing??

CHEVYZ
11-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by protegespecter
That Dasa sounds like its nice pipe its definately a thought especially if its good all over but i still would like to hear about the Yoshi looking at the dyno for that pipe is confusing its tested with a bunch of other variables. Yeah, I haven't seen too many charts on Yoshi. I have two buddies running them, one on an 05 and the other on an 06. Both seem to produce good results, but nothing spectacular. I don't have much experience with Yoshi, maybe some others that do can chime in with some comparisons.

red2004 TRX450R
11-07-2006, 01:40 PM
http://www.hetrickracing.com/images/exhaust/trx450r_exhaust_1.jpg

no one every talks about the hetrick pipe or even does pipe shoot outs on it. but it has a reverse megaphone design with is a proven power maker and proven to cost a lot more to make.

we need some one to dyno test this pipe agenst the other top pipes!!
I was going to get one but I got a used sparks for cheep!!!

http://www.hetrickracing.com/images/exhaust/trx450r_exhaust_4.jpg

protegespecter
11-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Hows that hetrick workin out for you? I'm assuming good cuz your posting a picture of it. Is it good bottom-top or what?? not really concearned with how loud it is either as long as it sounds good, but I really want a great overall performance

red2004 TRX450R
11-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Hows that hetrick workin out for you? I'm assuming good cuz your posting a picture of it. Is it good bottom-top or what?? not really concearned with how loud it is either as long as it sounds good, but I really want a great overall performance

I have a sparks only becasue i got it used cheep!
I know of people that use it and it makes good power. it is very loud.

protegespecter
11-07-2006, 01:53 PM
I didn't catch the text on the bottom of the picture, it looks like its built well what are the pros of a reverse megaphone over ?whatever? everything else is??

red2004 TRX450R
11-07-2006, 01:54 PM
look very similar don't they. they dont make there own pipes!!!
and it won the bike shoot out.

http://www.ctracing.com/_D2X5903.gif

atvridernc
11-07-2006, 02:03 PM
where can you order the ct pipe from?

anyone else run it?

BVRLVR
11-07-2006, 02:07 PM
i have a sparks on my 05 and i love it, and yeah its a little loud

protegespecter
11-07-2006, 02:09 PM
where are you feeling the most power with that sparks?? Thats what I want to know people swear by em

7 speed
11-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Do you have a site for Gigot perf. I googled it and got nothing??

www.gigotracing.com

BVRLVR
11-07-2006, 02:30 PM
well, when i put the sparks on the R was stock (airbox, air filter, jetting, everything...), i noticed the power right off the start, the quad started pulling the whole way through the rpm's (not that it didnt stock). i have a lot of friends the race in the GNCC and they all run sparks. im not saying the sparks is "better" than the other companies (dont want all the little kiddies on this site crying), but it is definitely worth the purchase. if you get a great deal on another brand exhaust go for it, the diffrence the the numbers make absolutely no diffrence, if your worried about .5 a hp, you got bigger problems

shut the F up and go ride!!

ghott
11-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Haha, I don't know about the rest of you...But when I spend $400-$500 on a pipe, I want to get the most bang for my buck. And when comparing the Sparks pipe to a DASA...there's a bit more than a ".5hp" difference ;).

Bottom line, research it! There's a search function on this forum that works quite nicely. You'll see that on all dyno graphs, the DASA comes out on top, with the Rossier, Yoshi TRC Comp, and Ron Woods not too far behind. But what you will see way behind...is the Sparks exhaust.

My recommendation, would be to spend your hard earned cash on a Rossier, DASA, or Yoshi TRC. And if you are strictly a Duner, consider the Ron Woods pipe as well.

Sjorge450R
11-07-2006, 07:17 PM
hows the rossier and dasa compare on the bottom end? I know Pappy here sells the Rossier and I always like to support him when I can since he always helps me.

protegespecter
11-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Yah I would love to know how the rossier pulls in the bottom end from what i've been told it is more dune pipe than anything. And I want the best bang for my buck when it comes to 400/500 bux i've spent hours researching this obviously not well enough. So i guess i my next question is which pipe has more bottom end between the Rossier and Yoshi??

jtjpilot
11-07-2006, 11:16 PM
I would suggest sticking with a company that builds pipes AND motors. I have an LRD pipe and it pulls so freakin hard through low to mid that it isn't even funny. LRD dyno'd my 06 450R and I gained 6hp at mid range! It's a freakin monster!!!!

protegespecter
11-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Well Rossier build motors too, but so does Curtis Sparks and his pipe isn't supposed to be all that great so don't see that theory is 100% correct.

quad janern
11-08-2006, 03:29 AM
jtjpilot , which LRD pipe do you have? is it the Pro 4 Series ?

and

does anyone have the pulse charger exhaust here for low-end riding like mx ? do you like it ?

i might get a great deal on one , but i need some info about it.
-j

czrider263
11-08-2006, 03:54 AM
DASA ALL THE WAY

ghott
11-08-2006, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by jtjpilot
I would suggest sticking with a company that builds pipes AND motors. I have an LRD pipe and it pulls so freakin hard through low to mid that it isn't even funny. LRD dyno'd my 06 450R and I gained 6hp at mid range! It's a freakin monster!!!!

I would love to see some graphs ;).

n2deer
11-08-2006, 06:43 AM
:rolleyes: LRD Who???? haha

protegespecter
11-08-2006, 11:30 AM
:D Fuggit I'm gettin the rossier and if i end wantin a little more down low i'll just put a 13tooth on. So hows that Rossier in the bottom end??

BVRLVR
11-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ghott
Haha, I don't know about the rest of you...But when I spend $400-$500 on a pipe, I want to get the most bang for my buck. And when comparing the Sparks pipe to a DASA...there's a bit more than a ".5hp" difference ;).

Bottom line, research it! There's a search function on this forum that works quite nicely. You'll see that on all dyno graphs, the DASA comes out on top, with the Rossier, Yoshi TRC Comp, and Ron Woods not too far behind. But what you will see way behind...is the Sparks exhaust.

My recommendation, would be to spend your hard earned cash on a Rossier, DASA, or Yoshi TRC. And if you are strictly a Duner, consider the Ron Woods pipe as well.

lol, just the type of response i was expecting, research it? ah ok, .5 - 1.5 it dosent make a diffrence in real life, all is was trying to say is that i like my sparks (cause the post before mine, someone asked about the sparks pipe) and that if you get a good deal on a "brand name" pipe you wont be disapointed. i paid 300 to the door for my sparks, brand new! so go have some kool-aid and calm down. or better yet, go ride!

what part of WV are you from? u ride XC or MX?

later

ghott
11-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by BVRLVR
lol, just the type of response i was expecting, research it? ah ok, .5 - 1.5 it dosent make a diffrence in real life, all is was trying to say is that i like my sparks (cause the post before mine, someone asked about the sparks pipe) and that if you get a good deal on a "brand name" pipe you wont be disapointed. i paid 300 to the door for my sparks, brand new! so go have some kool-aid and calm down. or better yet, go ride!

what part of WV are you from? u ride XC or MX?

later

Oh contraire....

I'm gonna have to bite on this one :).

.5 - 1.5hp is a big difference on a 350lb. quad. I could see if it were a 3500lb car, even a 5hp difference wouldn't be something to debate about. But the power to weight ratio is much greater on these small quads we so much enjoy.

But at the same time, the .5 - 1.5hp difference is more so about "application." If you are an MX racer, a Hill shooter, an XC Racer, or a 300ft. dragger, that extra .5 - 1.5hp could mean a difference between winning some money, or losing some money. If you're a Trail rider...who cares...right? For most trail riders, the 450 class bikes have more power than most can use. I believe this may have been a point you were trying to get across to me, and yes...I do agree :).

...And to touch on another point, I can give my own personal example. I bought a Full HMF Pipe used for $350 to my door. At the time, I was very satisfied with it. It is one of the better performing pipes out there, not the best, and I got a great price on it. But now, after a couple months of use, I've become dissatisfied, because it doesn't put out the numbers on the top of the band that I like. Don't get me wrong, it pulls from the bottom to midrange well, but it does fall off on top. I've seen DASA's and Rossier's pull 2-3 more HP on top when compared to the HMF. I guess it might have to do with the type of person I am, and the type of riding I do. But the bottom line for me is; if there is something out there that can get the job done better, I'm willing to pay a little extra cash to get the "better" product the first time. Now I'm kicking myself in the rear end for not doing it this way! Again, this is application specific. Just my personal example.

And to answer your question. I live in the easter panhandle of West Virginia, very close to both Maryland and Virginia. I ride XC and drag.

Ever been to Breezewood?

MAD450r
11-08-2006, 02:44 PM
When I bought my 04R I had hrc installed and I found it lacking low-end. I then put the sparks standard core on after the first oil change. I had the pipe here before I picked up my R.

Once I installed it, I was very happy with the gain throughout the entire powerband. I have power off the start to the rev limiter. I am know considering a rev box to raise mine.

I have been told that the sparks big core has more uptop. I cant see how it could make a difference when running stock rev box. I know the standard core has plenty of bottomend.

If you are looking for alot of bottom end then i'd suggest a bottom end cam, thats just my .02$. Know that im use to my setup 04 HRC and sparks only thing I may change is add a quiet core for when I ride at local spots.

MAD450r
11-08-2006, 02:51 PM
When I bought my 04R I had hrc installed and I found it lacking low-end. I then put the sparks standard core on after the first oil change. I had the pipe here before I picked up my R.

Once I installed it, I was very happy with the gain throughout the entire powerband. I have power off the start to the rev limiter. I am know considering a rev box to raise mine.

I have been told that the sparks big core has more uptop. I cant see how it could make a difference when running stock rev box. I know the standard core has plenty of bottomend.

If you are looking for alot of bottom end then i'd suggest a bottom end cam, thats just my .02$. Know that im use to my setup 04 HRC and sparks only thing I may change is add a quiet core for when I ride at local spots.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid203/pa990f471c017c85917682c6e158913f3/ef9d5404.jpg

BVRLVR
11-09-2006, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by ghott
Oh contraire....

I'm gonna have to bite on this one :).

.5 - 1.5hp is a big difference on a 350lb. quad. I could see if it were a 3500lb car, even a 5hp difference wouldn't be something to debate about. But the power to weight ratio is much greater on these small quads we so much enjoy.

-----

If you're a Trail rider...who cares...right? For most trail riders, the 450 class bikes have more power than most can use. I believe this may have been a point you were trying to get across to me, and yes...I do agree :).

-----

And to answer your question. I live in the easter panhandle of West Virginia, very close to both Maryland and Virginia. I ride XC and drag.

Ever been to Breezewood?

yeah, the horsepower is a lot more noticeable considering the weight of the quad compared to a car or truck

and the second - exactly, that was my point. and if your riding or racing XC that extra power dosent really matter after two hours, trying to hold on does. you see a lot top riders with all brands of exhaust, even sparks lol

no i've never been to Breezewood (i love the woods), a friend of mine is going there on sunday, i might head up with them

later

ghott
11-09-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by BVRLVR
yeah, the horsepower is a lot more noticeable considering the weight of the quad compared to a car or truck

and the second - exactly, that was my point. and if your riding or racing XC that extra power dosent really matter after two hours, trying to hold on does. you see a lot top riders with all brands of exhaust, even sparks lol

no i've never been to Breezewood (i love the woods), a friend of mine is going there on sunday, i might head up with them

later

I too love the woods.

My builder - Brian @ WPP Racing rides up at Breezewood Proving Grounds about twice a month. If you decide to go, look for a Red WPP Powered 04' TRX450R. I'd imagine it might be a little hard to see him...that thing puts down almost 54hp at the wheels :eek2:.

If you ever want to hit the trails in WV, LMK :).

Sheepless
11-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
hows the rossier and dasa compare on the bottom end? I know Pappy here sells the Rossier and I always like to support him when I can since he always helps me.

The HMF is a GOOD low-mid pipe, not much power in the upper rpms.

The DASA showed to be almost the same curve and numbers but took off in the mid-upper rpm's.

If your wanting an all around performer with the most usable hp...sorry to upset all the kids but it's DASA.

I had the Sparks before my Pulse Charger...the PC made the sparks look like a crappy slip on. The Psarks is good on the 400ex's and the yfz's.

mymastifftucker
11-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Every time someone starts this thread on pipes it turns into a big peeing contest, and its the same argument everytime.......mines better.....no, mines better..... My two cents into this discussion is why the hell are all the pipes so expensive? I just ordered a magnaflow, turbo-back, 4" stainless exhaust for my powerstroke diesel and it cost less than the 3 foot piece of 2" pipe on my 450r. What is everyones opinion on this?

protegespecter
11-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Magna flows are the **** for trucks thats my opinion (flowmasters are lame) I'm gettin a rossier

ryann mx68
11-10-2006, 06:04 PM
mbrp, magna, aerotech.......

my "straight pipe" is the best :devil:

cals400ex
11-11-2006, 04:11 PM
i will agree magnaflow is better than flow master. i will not agree rossier is better than the dasa.

quad janern
11-16-2006, 12:35 AM
anyone has some feedback about the TC racing exhaust system ??

ghott
11-16-2006, 06:35 AM
LOUD.

But thats all I've ever heard.

protegespecter
11-16-2006, 11:29 AM
I've noticed on quite a few pics that have been posted of the Rossier that the silencer is black with red writing I was just curious as to know if those were powder coated or purchased that way? I've seen on Rossier's website that they have a pic of the black silnencer but its on an 06, I was just hoping you can order them that way for the 05's as well

protegespecter
11-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Sorry for rehashin an old thread but how loud is that dasa?

CHEVYZ
11-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Pretty loud, but you can get the quite core for it. I would say it is about as loud as the HMF I had, but with alot more "deep" sound and growl to it.

elementryder
11-20-2006, 02:45 PM
ok people look at it this way i pipe is not going to win or losse you a race get the pipe you like ok

personaly i will never buy a rossier or dasa i like the tc,sparks,fat boy 4,hmf pipes all are great

why dont any of the pros that run dasa engines run there pipes thats gotta be tellin you some thingright there

ghott
11-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by elementryder
ok people look at it this way i pipe is not going to win or losse you a race get the pipe you like ok

personaly i will never buy a rossier or dasa i like the tc,sparks,fat boy 4,hmf pipes all are great

why dont any of the pros that run dasa engines run there pipes thats gotta be tellin you some thingright there

LOL...ever heard of Joe Byrd?

He wouldn't happen to run a whole DASA engine would he?

Ever see him at the starting gates on a holeshot?

elementryder
11-20-2006, 03:00 PM
yeh i heard of joe byrd retard
i know he runs dasa engine but like i said dose he run dasa pipe? no!
i said that all of the the pros that run dasa engines but not dasa pipe why is that?

ghott
11-20-2006, 03:01 PM
retard

Very mature.

kyleschonert
11-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Why would he run the DASA when he probably get's paid ALOT more to run a Yoshi than a DASA. If Yoshi was better, wouldnt he be running a Yoshi motor?:huh You have to keep in mind that when it comes to racing on the national circuits as much as they do and spend as much money as they do. It turns into being all about money.

CHEVYZ
11-21-2006, 02:03 PM

why dont any of the pros that run dasa engines run there pipes thats gotta be tellin you some thingright there A pipe may not win you the race, but it helps you along the way.

You seem to have alot of experience with the DASA exhaust. What is it that YOU don't like about it?

elementryder
11-21-2006, 02:22 PM
they havent benn around very long and i just like the other pipes i mentioned (i know dasa,rossier put out deacent hp #'s) but so do all the other pipes like i said just get what you like

brandonracing01
11-22-2006, 09:19 AM
i am not an export on this subject but i have a full yosh pipe on my 05 trx450 and just love it. great power both bottom and top end and sounds great to!

cals400ex
11-22-2006, 10:50 AM
yeh i heard of joe byrd retard
i know he runs dasa engine but like i said dose he run dasa pipe? no!
i said that all of the the pros that run dasa engines but not dasa pipe why is that?

maybe you should call up dan and ask him who made that yosh pipe for joe???????? dan made the pipe, or at least gave them the specs for it to be made, but he is sponsored by yosh so it has their name on it. a normal person would never ever be able to buy that yosh pipe that he has..........because it isn't a normal yosh pipe.

JRP
11-22-2006, 11:36 AM
dasa all the way. ive seen dynos with hmf, rossier, and dasa, and dasa always pulls out more hp.

Nick110
11-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Lawson runs a Dasa motor and Dasa pipe. Did you see him at Ballance Moto X. That boy was haulin.

elementryder
11-22-2006, 12:19 PM
joes pipe cant be to special because he has like 5 race bikes and a practice bike and you can buy one of his rae bikes the only thing he changes is the shocks