PDA

View Full Version : motor went bye bye

sdyme1995
11-07-2006, 08:34 AM
I WILL GET PICS WHEN I TAKE IT APART. I know people like to see the carnage.

So I am riding in Glamis ripping across a flat section then al of a sudden its like it ran out of gas or i hit the kill switch. Didn't loose power or pop it just stopped running. I tried to kick it back over and it wouldn't move.

I pulled the cylinder off and it was fine, looked as though it could just be cleaned up and used again. But the big problem was the nicle size hole in the piston and a the metal that went into the bottem end.

So the big question is, is it possible to take this motor apart and put in new bearings and rebuild it or does it usually tear up the cases and such when metal goes south.

Need to get something going cause i need it for T-day.

250r4life
11-07-2006, 10:07 AM
no it shoulnt have torn up the cases and everything...

C-LEIGH RACING
11-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by 250r4life
no it shoulnt have torn up the cases and everything...

Thats right, but be sure to find out why it burned a hole through the piston.

Reasons this can happen,,,,,
fuel octane to low,
ignition timming set to high,
jetting lean enough to cause spark knock,
Compression real high with a combination of any of the three things above.

With a hole burnt through the piston, that means a complete rebuild, including crank replacement or at least replacing the rod kit.
Neil

sdyme1995
11-07-2006, 01:02 PM
I was running 91 octane as usual, comp at 180psi, the only thing i did was put in a radvalve reedcage.
Ihave a 38pwk, esr trx5 centermount, air box elimenator kit. I didn't rejet after reed change.

Plugs were cardboard color 2-3 mm down from tip of plugs.

I may just get a motor off ebay, maybe a bigbore and go through it instead:D

TheFontMaster
11-07-2006, 03:56 PM
If I was you I would just build this motor up with a new OEM rod/crank assembly, new bearings, seals, and gaskets. Then get a big bore top end. I wouldn't buy a whole other motor off ebay, you don't know what it's been through. And with rebuilding your motor, you have all brand new parts, and you know everything thats in the motor.

Eddiesanders250
11-07-2006, 05:18 PM
exactly ^^^ if you dont have the money for a big bore you can find a stcok cyl for cheap and run that until you get a big bore

crazedape
11-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Same thing happened to me. It would be safer to replace the bearings just incase any of the metal got in them. I had a head gasket leak causing a lean condition and that made mine happen. It hauled *** right up until that happened. Complete tear down and reassembly would be required for proper inspection.

sdyme1995
11-08-2006, 09:24 AM
So should I go with ESR or CT. I ride all styles, desert, dunes, high mountain fire roads around Lake Tahoe. I want something that is reliable. I was thinking the CT 350 setup.

C-LEIGH RACING
11-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by sdyme1995
So should I go with ESR or CT. I ride all styles, desert, dunes, high mountain fire roads around Lake Tahoe. I want something that is reliable. I was thinking the CT 350 setup.

I would say which ever is closer to you.
You have cash & looking at someone you can get better service.
Last I talked to LA Sleeve though the 350 cylinders on hand were getting low, may be built back up by now, dont know.
Neil