View Full Version : Noisy A-Arms

timewass
09-10-2002, 12:24 PM
I can't exactly pinpoint the squeeking noise, but I think it's coming from the a-arm bushings. Should I just take them all apart and grease them?

What was Honda thinking when they didn't put grease fittings on this stuff. Job security for part manufacturers.

Leo
09-10-2002, 08:46 PM
If I had to bet I'd say it was a shock bushing, but it may be an one of the a-arm bushings.. best bet is to take 'em apart once a year or so and re-pack them with a quality grease..

Don't let the lack of grease fittings bother you, the a-arm pivots are spherical bearings (as opposed to bushings like the yamahas etc..) and will last 10x's longer as long as you don't go blowing water in with a pressure washer..

Leo

Ben
09-11-2002, 06:17 AM
Leo's comments are right on target, and it probably is the shock bushing but I had a similar problem with my 400ex and it turn out that I had tweaked one of the shock eyeholes (for lack of a better word) so the shock would barely rub the eyehole and squeak a great deal. I slightly bent the eyehole back to its original position and the squeaking stopped. Just something else to check.

Good luck, Ben

timewass
09-11-2002, 06:39 AM
Sounds like I'll be checking my shocks first. Thanks guys.

I believe it is only a bushing being dry because if I ride in some water or wash it then the squeeking stops for a while(until it dries).

lil400exman
09-12-2002, 03:09 PM
everytime i am ridin my 400ex it gives me a rubbing sssshhhhhseeeeeeeeerrrrrssssss and i feel like i am losing alot of power from it too can you help i got new bearing carrier and bearings!!!:confused: :eek:

jwisniew
09-14-2002, 08:43 PM
yea my 300 does that too i just load the a arms wit wd40 and let it sit overnight and it stops. But after a day of riding starts again

kuz400ex
09-16-2002, 11:52 PM
Yea I was at the dealer today checking on my ATV and I asked them about the sqeaking too, and they said to remove the shock bolts and grease them up. They said the arm bushings should never have to be replaced just remove the bolts and grease them up too.

Castor-426ex
09-17-2002, 12:17 AM
are the a arm bushings hard to get out on a 400??

thanks

SGA
09-17-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Castor-400ex
are the a arm bushings hard to get out on a 400??

thanks
Usually all you have to do is pull the bolts, lift the arm up, take a screwdriver and spread plenty of grease in the bushing.
To get the bushings out, pop the seal out with a screwdriver, remove the circlip, and slide the bushing out.
Honda is skimpy on the grease in bushings, mine needed grease bad.