PDA

View Full Version : Low End

Nate_450R
11-06-2006, 09:53 PM
i was riding yesterday alongside my buddy with an 06' Raptor 700. he was able to pull it up in a wheelie topped out in 4th gear and able to pop the clutch topped in 5th gear and bring it up. i understand that his low end is much higher than mine but i was wondering what i could do to be able to do that. what mods would get me closer to doing that? any suggestions?

JW450R1
11-07-2006, 04:43 AM
full exhaust,k&n power kit,with jet kitshould give u more power and throttle response.hmf full exhaust helped my low end issues out

CHEVYZ
11-07-2006, 06:48 AM
HMF slip on and a K&N filter should do it.

ghott
11-07-2006, 07:10 AM
13t front sprocket, and some decent tires for traction.

700R's are torque monster. He could probably pull that thing up in 5th without popping the clutch if he used his weight a bit.

Good Luck.

DJJ450r
11-07-2006, 07:15 AM
I have a JE 13:1 piston, Rossier full exhaust, and Hotcams stg1 cam and I have a lot of low end. I wouldn't get an aftermarket filter especially a K&N:macho

ghott
11-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by DJJ450r
I wouldn't get an aftermarket filter especially a K&N:macho

I would have to second that. K&N = bad filtration. Stick to a Sparks or Uni. Very close to the same power gains, and superior filtration compared to the K&N.

CHEVYZ
11-07-2006, 07:23 AM
Depends on the conditions you ride in. If you ride in dusty conditions, I would have to agree, but otherwise I find that K&N is both easier to maintain and has better power gains than foam filters such as UNI.

DJJ450r, why would you choose not to run an aftermarket filter?

DJJ450r
11-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Because I ran a UNI and still had a little dirt go through and I cleaned and oiled after every race. I switched back to a stock and didn't notice any difference in power but now theres no dirt getting into my motor, if you want your motor to last long keep the stock one on, even Honda says not to change the filter:blah:

CHEVYZ
11-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Hmmm... that is weird! Never heard of that happen before!

Nate_450R
11-07-2006, 08:16 AM
so i have a jet kit and a new rev box on the way. i dont have the funds for the exhaust (still paying the quad off, im sure you all know where im comming from)...ive still got the stock tires but looking at a set of paddles (sand sharks) for the sand. the sprockets are fairly reasonable in price? or no? i have never priced them but i guess its about time. and i have heard the same thing about the K&N filters. i have heard that they filter almost nothing. i ride on alot of gravel roads and hit the sand every chance i get. probably not for me eh'? the only reason i went with just the jet kit instead of the full power kit was because i didnt want the K&N filter. i was gonna pick up a seperate filter on the side. oh and im still trying to get the thumb throttle put back on. the twist throttle is bothering the crap out of me. maybe they will help throttle response? or maybe just stay the same...i dont know.

CHEVYZ
11-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Nate_450R
so i have a jet kit and a new rev box on the way. i dont have the funds for the exhaust (still paying the quad off, im sure you all know where im comming from)...ive still got the stock tires but looking at a set of paddles (sand sharks) for the sand. the sprockets are fairly reasonable in price? or no? i have never priced them but i guess its about time. and i have heard the same thing about the K&N filters. i have heard that they filter almost nothing. i ride on alot of gravel roads and hit the sand every chance i get. probably not for me eh'? the only reason i went with just the jet kit instead of the full power kit was because i didnt want the K&N filter. i was gonna pick up a seperate filter on the side. oh and im still trying to get the thumb throttle put back on. the twist throttle is bothering the crap out of me. maybe they will help throttle response? or maybe just stay the same...i dont know. Like said, K&N is only good for certain conditions. I have been running one on my EX for the last 7 years and one on my 450 for about a year with no problems. Sounds like a filter probably isn't the best choice for you, though.

You can pick up a 13T front sprocket for like $10 bucks. Cheap.

Nate_450R
11-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
HMF slip on and a K&N filter should do it.

is the slip on gonna do me any good? i know there is an extreme difference between prices with the slip on and full exhaust system. i have heard that the slip on does almost nothing but give a different sound. someone wanna clear me up on that?

ghott
11-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Yep yep...front sprockets are cheap. I think I paid $21 for mine at my stealership...simply because I wanted it right then, instead of waiting on someone to ship it.

ghott
11-07-2006, 09:19 AM
is the slip on gonna do me any good? i know there is an extreme difference between prices with the slip on and full exhaust system. i have heard that the slip on does almost nothing but give a different sound. someone wanna clear me up on that?

Theres not much of a gain to be had with a slip-on. They just look better, and give a little better sound. It might produce 1HP over the stock silencer. The real power gain to be had is in an aftermarket head pipe that is larger than stock. It really opens the engine up and lets it exhale efficiently. This is especially true with the addition of a more radical cam such as the HRC, HCS2, or CRF Cam.

IMHO, I would never buy a slip on. Not much of a power gain, it just makes your quad louder. Buy the HRC End cap...$40 and it does the same thing :rolleyes:. Then save up for a decent Full exhaust such as the Rossier or DASA systems. Or you might be able to find a decent used full exhaust here on the forums...

honda4life72
11-07-2006, 09:20 AM
i cna pull my 05 up in 5th gear half throttle and ride it out :o

CHEVYZ
11-07-2006, 09:34 AM
is the slip on gonna do me any good? i know there is an extreme difference between prices with the slip on and full exhaust system. i have heard that the slip on does almost nothing but give a different sound. someone wanna clear me up on that? A slip on will not do much, but it is better than the stock exhaust by far, especially as far as bottom end is concerned. The stock muffler on the older models just cannot be opened up. A full exhaust is a much better option, but at the same time is much more pricey. To be honest, depending on what you get will determine the performance increase you get out of it. If you want a little extra now, go with a slip on, but if you want to get the most out of your engine, get a full exhaust system.

JW450R1
11-07-2006, 10:36 AM
i called hmf and they actually told me the power gains from low,med,top end.for just the slip on. i think that the front head pipe has to do with the low/med torque gains.i still think a full exhaust,jet kit,filter kit,will give u the most gains,without tearing apart your motor.

yellow400ex05
11-07-2006, 01:42 PM
what about Twin Air airfilters, are they as good as the UNI???

KrazyKeith
11-07-2006, 04:45 PM
I bought a NoToil a couple weeks ago I think thats better than my Uni. It holds the dirt back way better. I'm thinkin somebody told me Twin Air and No toil are the same filter???

Nate_450R
11-07-2006, 09:35 PM
IMHO, I would never buy a slip on. Not much of a power gain, it just makes your quad louder. Buy the HRC End cap...$40 and it does the same thing :rolleyes:. Then save up for a decent Full exhaust such as the Rossier or DASA systems. Or you might be able to find a decent used full exhaust here on the forums...

i have the HP kit from honda on mine. is that the end cap you are talking about? or is it totally different? i have also heard a lot of people talking about the HRC cam. but to be honest i have no clue what it is and what it will do. someone wanna tell me?

ghott
11-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Yep...same end cap...its the HRC End Cap that comes with the 04/05 HRC Kit.

The 04/05 HRC Cam also comes with the complete 04/05 HRC Kit. It is a very top end biased cam. Good gains from mid to top, with excellent over rev, but you actually lose power down low. Great for the duners...

I prefer the Hot Cams Stage 2. It provides a big gain everywhere throughout the powerband, and doesn't lose power anywhere. It doesn't have the massive over-rev capability that the 04/05 HRC Cam has, but from 0-8500 RPMs, the HCS2 kills the HRC Cam in performance.

Its been dyno proven... :)

Nate_450R
11-07-2006, 10:11 PM
alright well like i said i have the rev box, jet kit, air filter, and 13t front sprocket on the way. dont have the funds for anything else right now. the exhaust and hopefully more will come later. so 13t front is what i should go with?

jtjpilot
11-07-2006, 11:22 PM
guys-K&N make some of the best air filters in the world. If anyone is nervous (as I am) about an aftermarket filter not filtering out debri, then put an outerwears cover on it. I live in Oregon so most of my riding is in sand and I have never had one problem with debri.