PDA

View Full Version : looking at buying one

kawabunga
11-06-2006, 09:25 PM
im interested in buying a 250r.
i was just wondering if there was anything i should keep an eye out for?
any input is appreciated, whether it be stuff you like/dislike about the 250r or things to look out for, especially since i'd be coming from a big bore 4-stroke.
thanks everyone!

RichM1983
11-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Check the frame over really well for any cracks or repairs. Also make sure there hasn't been any shoddy looking "gusseting." Its unbelievable what people will hack up to a frame, especially an R frame since they tend to be beat on. Also check the swinger for cracks or repairs. Other than that just general things to check over like engine cases and crappy bondo jobs to the cases around the chain output shaft. Try and ride it and check the tranny and also ask if they know the compression and the bore that the motor is on. Also I have seen a lot of people lie about the years. The best way to check is to see if the swinger is aluminum or steel. If its aluminum its probably 88/89, steel is 86/87. This isnt always true tho since the 86/87 swinger will work on the 88/89 bikes so check the frame where the swinger mounts. If there is a metal mount for the motor that goes around the swinger bolt then bolts to the motor in 2 different places then its a 86/87. If there motor is bolted directly to the frame back there in one spot then its an 88/89.

velocityatv
11-06-2006, 09:51 PM
I agree with above...

Just talk to the seller. Ask a lot of questions. If the guy can't or won't tell you more than you need to know about it than it might not be meant to be.

Personally I can tell you what every scratch, ding, and weld is from on my R.

Take pics and post em up on here. We all love pin the year on the R.:devil:

clipse_2003_95
11-11-2006, 12:02 AM
I have a 87 trx 250r forsale ,, excellent cond , it has the 310 big bore kit IMS crank for shorter stroke. lonestar swingarm,steering stem , axle is new even have looks awesome. u can email me at clipse_2003_95@hotmail.com