PDA

View Full Version : oil questions

rollie
11-06-2006, 06:42 PM
well i get my 450R in a few days...im going to change my oil after the first ride deffintly, then i was thinking every 2 rides after that...? does that sound right? also ive gotten really confused with all the differnt oil recemedations going around, i want to get some when i pick it up so what should i get, last question what should i clean my filter with?

ronnie
11-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by rollie
well i get my 450R in a few days...im going to change my oil after the first ride deffintly, then i was thinking every 2 rides after that...? does that sound right? also ive gotten really confused with all the differnt oil recemedations going around, i want to get some when i pick it up so what should i get, last question what should i clean my filter with?

thanks:D pj 1 cleaner and pj 1 filter oil .and i race xc i have a o4 i change oil the moter oil every race and the clutch side every 2 races i have never had any problems with it at all .i put a je pisten in it over a year a ago and it still runs great .i run synthitic oil in the moter side and reguler oil in the clutch side

woodsman250r
11-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Here is what I have been using for over a year with zero problems or failures. For the air filter, Maxima Cleanup to clean the filter then I use Maxima Fab1 to oil it. For engine oil, Honda HP410w40 with Moly for the engine side and the HP Trans for the clutch side. If you race, change it after every race. If not change it around 3-5 rides and you should be ok to change the transmission side every other time. I keep two air filters clean on hand at all times and change them every two rides to be safe.

ghott
11-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Can't go wrong with No-Toil stuff for the air filter.

I use Spectro SX Super Tacky filter oil personally.

Tranny Oil - Honda HP Tranny Oil WITHOUT MOLY...can't go wrong. If you go with different tranny oil, make sure it does not have Molybdenum or any other friction modifiers!

If you are buying this bike brand new, I would run Honda GN4 thru it for the first 2 oil changes...just to make sure the rings seat as well as they should.

Then I'd switch to a synthetic...such as the Honda Synthetic stuff.

Personally, I run AMSOIL AMF 10W-40 4-Stroke Oil because it has the lowest ASTM 4-ball wear scars in its class :).

Do your own research and make your own decision.

Change your oil often...every 20 hours is what the manual calls for.

rollie
11-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by ghott
Can't go wrong with No-Toil stuff for the air filter.

I use Spectro SX Super Tacky filter oil personally.

Tranny Oil - Honda HP Tranny Oil WITHOUT MOLY...can't go wrong. If you go with different tranny oil, make sure it does not have Molybdenum or any other friction modifiers!

If you are buying this bike brand new, I would run Honda GN4 thru it for the first 2 oil changes...just to make sure the rings seat as well as they should.

Then I'd switch to a synthetic...such as the Honda Synthetic stuff.

Personally, I run AMSOIL AMF 10W-40 4-Stroke Oil because it has the lowest ASTM 4-ball wear scars in its class :).

Do your own research and make your own decision.

Change your oil often...every 20 hours is what the manual calls for.

so just the regular Honda GN4.. or a certain weight? sorry for all the questions but im used to my 300 that i just changed with spectro 10w 40 haha

for the filter im just going to go with the best stuff they reccomend for the 450R, the engine Honda GN4 and the honda HP tranny W/O moly, sounds nice and simple, just the way i like it, haha

thanks alot guys, this is like starting all over again with a 450, deffintly differnt than the 300:blah:

ghott
11-06-2006, 08:00 PM
GN4 10W-40 just for the first two oil changes..its petroleum based rather than synthetic. The GN4 will break down quickly, and help those rings seal well. And make sure that first oil change is done within the first 5 hours.

Break-in oil changes are critical. After the break-in period, go synthetic on the engine side! :)