PDA

View Full Version : help with wiring (tether in place of light switch)

moneypit
11-06-2006, 06:26 PM
hi i have a 86' 250r i purchased a tether kill switch to replace my factory light/kill switch, and i was wondering if i have this correct, wire the tether switch up to the black/white and dark green wires, and then ground the white wire off the altenator, is that correct?

KFX400 RACER
11-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Also trying to figure this out but I am using dirtbike push button kill switch. How do I go about wire my setup also on a 87 250R.

Thanks,
Jake

wilkin250r
11-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Do NOT ground the white wire!!!!!

I assume you are not running lights? The white wire is the lighting coil.

You don't want to ground the white wire, you want to just cap it off and leave it hanging. Just put a small bit of electrical tape on the end, and then a small piece of heat-shrink tubing over that, and tie it up out of the way.

If you ground the white wire, you lighting coil would be connected directly to ground (called a short circuit) and burn the stator. You want to leave it open, not connected to anything, just tucked up out of the way.

The rest is correct, the black/white and green wires. Read the instructions on your kill switch, if you wire it backwards it will still work, but it will shock you.

moneypit
11-06-2006, 08:07 PM
thanks, i just couldnt tell from the wiring diagram i was looking at if it was suppose to be grounded or just open.