PDA

View Full Version : need help pred. wont start

davedirt
11-06-2006, 06:02 PM
I have two pred. 05 both wont start after doing a long ride in high alt. Shut them off on the trailer, now at home got nothing.
1 quad is stock LE. That is the one Iam starting with. I have compression,fuel,and spark.

If any one has any ideas?

Dave

kc8pnd
11-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Try taking the air snorkel off to get them to start, mine did something like this and it was the valve shims.

davedirt
11-06-2006, 07:04 PM
thanx I was just reading on old post how to adjust valves.Iam sure that is what it is. It puffs fuel out the carb a little.Has any one had trouble with the computer?

PlayHard
11-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Try predatorowners.com and do a search there. I once had a starting issue that didn't make sense and had to clean the contacts on the throttle shutoff cable (plugs into your thumb throttle). If that connection does not make, it is like a kill switch.

angelon400ex
11-07-2006, 12:01 PM
My wife races a Predator. Had a race, loaded it up, went home, went to put it up, would'nt start. After trying several things took it to our friend, mechanic, he did a falve adj. and something to do with the shims. Purs like a kitten! Just an idea.

kc8pnd
11-07-2006, 12:53 PM
You should at least check your valves, its worth a shot. Intake cams should have .006 clearance @ TDC, exhaust should be .010. My Intake shims were way out of whack, the exhaust were fine.
You can get a shim kit from www.hotcams.com or i think www.motosport.com

scramblerracer
11-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Check your valves. I did have a bad stock CDI but it wouldn't rev. Came home after a race and it would start fine- just wouldn't rev up- it was fried inside and the reverse rev limiter was always on. Polaris said too bad for you but another one. That fixed the rev problem.

davedirt
11-11-2006, 03:50 PM
took both preds apart both were about .014 on the intake and.015 on the exaust.Of course my shop doesnt have the right shims have to order them 9 dollers ea !being that my service manual i ordered 2weeks ago hasn't arrived yet i imagine it will be a long time comming.Service guy said valves that sloppy i should have heard tapping. nope.

katch26
11-13-2006, 05:57 AM
they take the same shims as a yfz....yammi dealers always have parts.

kc8pnd
11-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by katch26
they take the same shims as a yfz....yammi dealers always have parts.
LOL

interceptorz28
12-08-2006, 07:56 AM
maybe someone can help...

I have a friend that bought a predator and he doesn't really take good care of it. Basically uses it and puts it away, doesn't clean it or do any basic maintenance.

Well, whenever we go ride his will not start when the engine is cold. My other friend pulls it with a raptor and they bump start it. After it warms up, it will start up without much fuss.

What is the problem? His predator is the limited edition or something with exhaust. And he has the back spark arrestor plate off.

Thanks in advance.

kc8pnd
12-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Sounds like the valve shims to me. Mine did the exact same thing.