PDA

View Full Version : anyone have corn burners in there house??

2004400exa
11-06-2006, 05:53 PM
yaa me and my dad were at tractor supply and seen one and thought it might be cheaper using that instead of our wood burner but anyone know any information about it.Like is it a good buy to get one of them

450RGNCC
11-06-2006, 06:00 PM
we have a wood pellet stove, but its almost exactly the same thing. I think that we had it last year and this year, and by next year or the year after it will pay itself off with the $ we save from not using natural gas.

2004400exa
11-06-2006, 06:04 PM
so your not shur about anything about corn burners

Pappy
11-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Corn stoves and Pellet stoves are almost identical. The corn stove has a different type of feeder. They both work extremely well, and corn is running around $9 per hundred. Pellets are averaging $2.10 a 40 pound bag (slightly cheaper then corn right now per hundred weight)

I have a woodstove and pellet stove in the basement of my home. Its 4000 square feet and the pellet stove alone will keep the entire house 68 degrees on all but the coldest nights. I use both, wood during the day and night, and I kick on the pellet stove around dark until dawn.

I also have a pellet stove in my shop (65 x35) and it keeps it toasty warm

DVXchic
11-06-2006, 06:57 PM
We've got 2 pellet stoves, there is no furnace in our house, so thats all that keeps us warm, we go through 3-4 skids a season. Corn is a little cheaper here, you can also mix the two if you want.

wilkin250r
11-07-2006, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
Pellets are averaging $2.10 a 40 pound bag (slightly cheaper then corn right now per hundred weight)

I can see corn being MUCH cheaper if you grow your own feed corn, common in the midwest states.

I bet something like this would be more common in Wisconsin, where feed cornfields are plenty, and winters are cold.

smr
11-07-2006, 05:41 AM
I've thought about getting one but really didn't understand how they work. Can you take corn out of the feild and burn it?

I have a 2200 sqr ft and heat with a Hardy Heater...I love it but I would like something in the house also.

Outlaw 50
11-07-2006, 07:34 AM
I have a pellet stove that I'm going to sell. It didn't put out enough heat for my shop so I'm going to a wood burner. Also I have a source for free wood for the stove. My friend owns a mulch business and he said I could have all the logs i want.

The pellet stove works pretty good but it takes a little longer to recover the heat loss when you open the garage door.

The corn stove has another impeller to stir the corn as it burns so it doesnt go out. Wood pellets don't have to be stirred. The corn stove will burn wood pellets but the wood pellet stove won't burn corn.

The corn has to be dryed and shucked. Most mills will do this. I think it has to contain no more than 5% moisture to burn.