PDA

View Full Version : pismo riders

Louie
11-06-2006, 01:56 PM
How is the riding in the winter months? Can you get your vehicles and trailers across the river? Any info would be helpfull. Thanks

Dune Surfer
11-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Sorry but Pismo SUCKS year around, Save your pennies and go to glamis:D

darren250r
11-07-2006, 12:21 PM
During the winter months the creek can be a problem, but if you plan ahead it shouldn't effect your trip at all. Look up the tide schedule before you leave so that you arrive at the beach sometime close to low tide. Worse case scenario you will have to wait at the creek until the tide becomes low enough to safely cross the creek. Since wet sand is very compact you will never really have a traction problem. You just want to avoid going through deep enough water to choke out your truck. As of right now the creek isn't even flowing. If you PM me before you come I can let you know how it looks since I live 5 min from the entrance. Good Luck.

Darren

Louie
11-07-2006, 02:38 PM
sounds good. Do you guys ride year round or is there a time when you call it quits due to bad weather? I only have gone in the spring time when the weather is super nice.

PismoLocal
11-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Personally I prefer Pismo in the winter all the heat in the summer months in the central valley draws the wind and fog in to the central coast but during winter time its actually pretty nice here. Its been in the high 80's-90's here the last couple days (91 today) which is hotter than it ever was all summer. Last year it was in the mid 80's over christmas. The weather is hit or miss though on the coast cold one day hot the next, definitely look up the forecast online because there is nothing worse than being at the dunes in the rain.

protegespecter
11-24-2006, 01:14 AM
I'm not sure if its true but I heard that they open up more of pismo in the winter months. From what I was told they open up the back of the dunes more is this true??

DanW
11-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Come on guys... Pismo really sucks in the winter. It is a summer only riding place.

I drive all the way from MN to ride there in the winter. I don't want to have to start dealing with crowds there in the winter. :p

norcalduner
12-03-2006, 01:07 AM
I do not recommend riding in Pismo in the winter .....

..... coz I want the place all to myself :D :D :D

Quadster450
12-04-2006, 10:34 PM
hey, im spending a week in santa barbara and want to check out pismo while i'm in the area....where's the best place to go? i don't have my quad :( but want to check it out anyway since i'm here...
thanks

duneaticdave
12-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
Sorry but Pismo SUCKS year around, Save your pennies and go to glamis:D

well put!

Kider
12-10-2006, 11:21 PM
i went to pismo last saturday, the ninth.

the weather was kinda crummy and it rained a little bit..

but the sand was nice, hard and smooth like you wouldnt believe.

i live 15 mins away so...

i'd say its worth a trip.

drider
12-10-2006, 11:54 PM
First off, Pismo does not suck. And riding is riding. And yes you can going to pismo,it's not an issue during the winter time also. the river is not that deep just call and check low tide and high tide times. And i have to say pismo is the place to be, great atmosphere, riding is alright. heck even if you dont have a bike take your truck back there!

Louie
12-11-2006, 01:43 PM
So in the winter when the sand is packed is it better to use your regular tires or stick with the paddles?

raptorgirl
01-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Pismo is great in the winter. And it's probably better than the summer, less crowds and better weather. We live in the central valley so it only takes us a couple hours to get there so it's easy to do a weekend trip but for the holidays or days when we have 4 or more days to take off we usually go to Dumont. We have only had trouble getting across the creek once and that was Easter, we made it but we definately waited an extra day when it was time to leave. The creek seems to be bad every year around Easter time. But as long as you watch the person in front of you and air down then you're usually ok. But always check the tide schedule before going. And we heard from friends that you can camp to marker 8 right now.

norcalduner
01-02-2007, 09:45 PM
anybody been there lately ? how deep is the creek ? lookin to go this weekend ...

raptorgirl
01-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Check www.clubatvwest.com a bunch of them just got back from there. They didn't say anything bad about the tide but they did have a surprise high tide early one morning and lost some of their stuff and had some trucks go out into the ocean.