PDA

View Full Version : Bee Canyon Trails, Hemet (SoCal)

kick
11-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Anyone else ride out here? It's my main spot. Hundreds of miles of FUN trails, killer views, stream/creek crossings that swell during the winter, and even snow at the top.

I only rode in the snow once, it was last year, and I made a vow to go back everytime I see snow on the mountain. Riding the trails in 3 feet of snow was a BLAST. 5th gear, spinning like crazy and opposite lock sliding everywhere.

So anyone else local? I talked to one person before that was interested in going, but I went off and forgot to get back to them. :ermm:

Snow gear... Any suggestions? I bought some PVC rain suits that I think should work well. We weren't riding in falling snow, it was already on the ground -- but the main problem I noticed is just that we would get soaking wet from all the flying slush... And then we'd ride down the mountain, wet & freezing on the verge of pneumonia. :p

Grumpy Wookie
11-21-2006, 03:04 PM
Ive never been there, but it is really close to me. I would be interested some time. Let me know when you plan on going out again...

kick
11-25-2006, 08:50 AM
Cool man, thanks for the reply. :cool: I definitely should be able to get up there in 3 weeks or a month. I think. At the moment, I'm working 7 days a week, 12 hours a night. :(

That should be coming to a stop soon though :)

jaminjer
11-29-2006, 05:50 AM
I live in menifee and would be interested in riding out that way sometime. I would be interested in where exactly it is. I just got my quad and am trying to find different places that i can ride for the day that isnt too far to go.

kick
11-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Okay jaminjer, PM replied to. :)

It would be cool if the 3 of us could tear off up the trail one of these days. After all these hours I'm working, I could use a nice ride to unwind. :(

jaminjer
11-30-2006, 03:39 PM
That would be cool. My neighbor his 8 year old son and I have ridden together a few times. I have only had my bike about a month, almost have it broke in. I enjoy trail riding. I think we might be trying bee canyon trail saturday. The ony places i have ridden are by the freeway at elsinore and in the hills between menifee and canyon lake. I am looking forward to something bigger, so is my neighbor. Just let me know when you are able to go and I should have no problem joining you. Thanks for the info.:D

daniel981
01-01-2007, 07:40 PM
hey, whats up guys? I just joined this forum, so sorry for the late reply. But yeah, Id be interested in heading out there. I have no idea where Bee Canyon is, but Im down! Is that about 4 miles east of the edge of Hemet on the left? Ive been shooting out there a few times, but I dont know if thats the same canyon area. Hit me up some time! I'd love to go.

kick
01-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by daniel981
hey, whats up guys? I just joined this forum, so sorry for the late reply. But yeah, Id be interested in heading out there. I have no idea where Bee Canyon is, but Im down! Is that about 4 miles east of the edge of Hemet on the left? Ive been shooting out there a few times, but I dont know if thats the same canyon area. Hit me up some time! I'd love to go.
Should be exactly the spot. :cool:

Okay guys, anyone interested in going out in a couple weeks? Maybe one saturday (or friday) about mid way through January?

Oh and BTW... I split my face open out there last weekend. I tried to yank my quad off the trailer without using ramps, hit myself in the face with it and busted my face open. :scary: :o Had a fun day at the ER getting stitches.

daniel981
01-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by kick
Okay guys, anyone interested in going out in a couple weeks? Maybe one saturday (or friday) about mid way through January?

Saturdays would be better for me since I work on Fridays. But yeah, in a couple weeks, say the 20th!

You ever ride Gilman Springs area? I was just there yesterday, good riding.

kick
01-08-2007, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by daniel981
Saturdays would be better for me since I work on Fridays. But yeah, in a couple weeks, say the 20th!

You ever ride Gilman Springs area? I was just there yesterday, good riding.
Sure man, sounds great. :cool: Saturdays work for me.

Oh and I remember you from the CZ28 board. Still have the white Z28?

I actually never went out to Gilman Springs because the CHP was threatening to give tickets big time a while back. That area is private property and the owner was pissed that everyone was riding on his land :scary: :D

the*ovenman
01-08-2007, 01:05 PM
I live in San Diego But wouyld be very interested in going riding up there. Is there places to camp or maybe even sleep in my truck or should I just cruise up for the day and then come back when we are done?

kick
01-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by the*ovenman
I live in San Diego But wouyld be very interested in going riding up there. Is there places to camp or maybe even sleep in my truck or should I just cruise up for the day and then come back when we are done?
If you didn't mind sleeping in your truck on the trail it's safe out there as far as I know. Still, it's gonna get cold up there at night...

And there are camp sites near the top of the trail that look really awesome and I'd love to camp there sometime. But again, those are up near the top of the mountain and are tucked away behind some hills. So those campsites are going to drop to freezing temperatures earlier than everywhere else (sun will be blocked by the mountain long before everywhere else gets dark) and will stay super cold.

What I would do is drive into town at the end of the day and grabbing a motel room (if you didn't feel like making the trek back to S.D.) We've got plenty of budget selections in Hemet like Motel 6 and Best Western. IMO you can't beat a $40 warm room with TV and a shower. :D

But you should come out and ride! Love to see you drive up. Looking at January 20th now as the plan.

the*ovenman
01-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Might Just do that. My girlfriend thinks I am crazy going to meet with as bunch of people I dont even know!

jaminjer
01-10-2007, 10:29 AM
what time would you guys meet up there?

the*ovenman
01-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Bum Deal man I just found out I may have to work that saturday and at 30 Dollars an hour for Overtime I cant say no. But if I dont work I will be there just need directions and to know what time to meet you there. Oh and also what kind of riding gear should I wear?

daniel981
01-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Bum Deal man I just found out I may have to work that saturday and at 30 Dollars an hour for Overtime I cant say no. But if I dont work I will be there just need directions and to know what time to meet you there. Oh and also what kind of riding gear should I wear?

From San Diego area:

- 15N
- Exit Winchester (R)
- (R) onto Domenigoni Parkway
- (L) onto Sanderson Avenue
- (R) onto Florida Avenue
- about 9-10 miles heading east on Florida Ave, you will see a water reservoir on your left. The turn onto Bee Canyon Trail or whatever its called is just past this on the left.

Here is a map I made up real quick:
http://www.thedistinct.com/host/random/bcantral.jpg

kick
01-13-2007, 08:04 AM
I was up there yesterday in the snow. Had a BLAST :cool: :D

the*ovenman
01-13-2007, 08:47 AM
So here is a good question if you wear a PVC rain suit wont it melt on you exhaust header. I mean I think on my quad it would I ride an 06 YFZ 450SE.

kick
01-13-2007, 01:35 PM
So here is a good question if you wear a PVC rain suit wont it melt on you exhaust header. I mean I think on my quad it would I ride an 06 YFZ 450SE.
Hmmm, that is a good question. I actually have no clue how it would be on your bike, on my 250EX it wasn't a problem though.

BUT I was definitely glad that I had it this time around. I was warm and dry the whole time... Which was a nice change from almost getting pneumonia the last time. :scary: :D

There was 2 feet of snow at the upper end of the mountain though guys. GET YOUR ASSES OUT HERE next weekend. If you've never ridden in the snow it's KICK ***.

We were drifting around every corner. I was spending more time riding sideways through corners than I did going straight. Good times. :cool:

jaminjer
01-13-2007, 01:43 PM
what time is everyone showing up?
I am going to try and schedule things so I can show up next saturday.

kick
01-13-2007, 02:14 PM
I don't think anyone has actually figured out a time yet.

Anyone have any special needs as far as time is concerned?

How about 9:30am? We could hang out for a few minutes, maybe have a snack, unload the quads and gear up, then hit the trail. By the time we finally make sure everyone is there and we get going it would probably be 10am or so, and the sun should be nice and warm as we head out. :cool:

jaminjer
01-13-2007, 04:16 PM
sounds fine to me. we usually ride early as possible so we do not run into to many others.

kick
01-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Alright cool then. Everyone agree with that time? Post up if there is a conflict for you.

About the rair gear, I definitely recommend it. Even if there is no additional snow in the next 7 days, I'm imagining there will still be some at the top of the trail for us to play around in. :cool: It's so cold up there (I think the daytime high up there stayed around freezing) that I don't see a whole heck of a lot of it melting by next saturday. For example tonight it's supposed to be 20 degrees up there. :scary:

Okay so anyway, you guys should put some serious thought into buying some rain gear. The flying slush/ice when we're in the snow will soak through your clothes quick. From that point, it's a long hour ride back down to the trucks when you're wet and freezing. Unfortunately I found that out from experience. :( 30 degree weather is bad enough, but it's worse when you're doing 50mph, and you're wet. :D

Walmart (and probably Target) carry the stuff in the sporting goods section. The jacket I bought was $25. The pants I bought were $30. But they have all price ranges. It's easy to go cheap if you want to. I saw a jacket and pants combo that was $10 for both. So it all depends on what you want... Nice stuff that you can wear around town and still look stylish, or just good enough to do the job when you're riding.

Even cheap isn't a bad idea though... I mean we will be riding and getting dirty so there's no need to have something super nice if you don't want to spend too much. :)

jaminjer
01-13-2007, 07:03 PM
we went riding today behind sun city, and am going tomorrow, sure is cold at 9am when we start. Had to layer the clothes and wear thermals. Sounds like fun next weekend.

kick
01-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by jaminjer
we went riding today behind sun city, and am going tomorrow, sure is cold at 9am when we start. Had to layer the clothes and wear thermals. Sounds like fun next weekend.
I bet it is :D I wish I got to ride as often as you guys ride! If I get to ride 2 weekends in a row I'm doing pretty good.

Oh yeah, good thing you mentioned layers. Everyone should wear multiple layers.

I have an under armor cold gear (GREAT! but expensive at $50 for one shirt) which is like a thermal but better. Then I wear a turtleneck over it, with jeans, and then my rain jacket/pants.

So definitely wearing thermals at least under your clothes is a good idea.

It'll probably be 40 degrees or maybe a bit more next saturday. It's not too incredibly cold until we get up to the top of the mountain where the snow is. Then the wind at the top of the mountain adds in some wind chill.

the*ovenman
01-15-2007, 12:12 AM
Ok So this 9:30 sounds good! But here is a question that may seem a little dumb but my girlfriend wants to drive me up ther and then hang out and wait for us!(Crazy I know) but hey I figure she is a big girl and can do what she wants. So she wanted me to ask whats there to do in hemet or around there is there a shopping mall or anything like that? And I definitrely will get some rain gear. What about gloves what kind of gloves do you wear? Regular riding gloves or maybe ski Gloves?

kick
01-15-2007, 07:50 AM
Ok So this 9:30 sounds good! But here is a question that may seem a little dumb but my girlfriend wants to drive me up ther and then hang out and wait for us!(Crazy I know) but hey I figure she is a big girl and can do what she wants. So she wanted me to ask whats there to do in hemet or around there is there a shopping mall or anything like that? And I definitrely will get some rain gear. What about gloves what kind of gloves do you wear? Regular riding gloves or maybe ski Gloves?
Well, we do have a mall (name is Hemet Valley Mall) but it's not all that large. You can walk through the entire thing in 3 minutes if you don't stop at any stores. :D LOL

That probably won't keep her too busy. You know women, they can mow down a bunch of stores quick when it comes to shopping. (Well, except for when they're trying stuff on. That seems to take forever.) ;) :p

If she wanted to cruise the Super Walmart and the Target that could add some time. At Diamond Valley Lake... We have the new "Western Center for Archaeology and Paleontology" http://www.westerncentermuseum.org/index.php which is supposed to be an incredible museum, although I still haven't been there yet. Next door is the "Center for Water Education" http://www.centerforwater.org/ -which is also supposed to be REALLY cool.

Or she could drive up to Idyllwild by road, --the same place we're heading to actually. Only difference is we'll be on the trails and sliding all over in snow (hopefully there still is some). :D Lots of really neat shops, restaraunts and boutiques in the "village" of Idyllwild. Neat scenery and places to check out.

Aside from that, does your girlfriend have any riding experience? Does she ride?

As far as gloves, I'm still experimenting myself. So far I've been wearing regular riding gloves but they seem to be less than adequate when in the snow. They either get wet, or just let too much cold through. I'd like to check out different waterproof (or ski gloves) and see how thick they are and if I can still use my hands for throttle/brake. So if you can find some you think are comfortable, ski gloves are probably good. :)

jaminjer
01-15-2007, 07:57 AM
As far as gloves goes I was told and have tried with good success wearing nitro gloves(rubber doctor gloves) under the regular riding gloves. Keeps most of the cold and wet out. This last weekend I rode with my old ski gloves, kept the hands warm but was a little harder to keep finger on throttle.

kick
01-15-2007, 08:09 AM
As far as gloves goes I was told and have tried with good success wearing nitro gloves(rubber doctor gloves) under the regular riding gloves. Keeps most of the cold and wet out. This last weekend I rode with my old ski gloves, kept the hands warm but was a little harder to keep finger on throttle.
Good idea!

They're forecasting a high of 60 degrees for next saturday. So other than if we run into snow... we won't be freezing on the rest of the trails where there isn't snow. The good thing is we're all talking about being prepared. :cool:

the*ovenman
01-15-2007, 11:04 PM
So do we need any special permits or passes or anything like that. Also A couple of my girlfriends cousins may come with me. As long as I dont have to work we will be there.

kick
01-16-2007, 06:19 AM
So do we need any special permits or passes or anything like that. Also A couple of my girlfriends cousins may come with me. As long as I dont have to work we will be there.
Nope, no passes needed. :)

the*ovenman
01-16-2007, 09:00 AM
Ok one more thing how long are we planning on riding all day?or just a few hours?

kick
01-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Ok one more thing how long are we planning on riding all day?or just a few hours?
Ahh another important question. :D

I'll have to leave by 3pm. But by then, we'll already have been up to the top and you guys will know where you're going. So you guys can stay longer if you want. :)

Of course it gets dark soon after 4 so you guys may or may not want to.

the*ovenman
01-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Dam after all this planning and getting ready I cant go this weekend. I dont have to work but I was real sick the week of new years and it was not from drinking so I did not work at all and the finacial situation is worse thhan I planned for. But Next weekend my girl friend wants to go to Mammoth Wash we would leave real early Aturday morning and spend the night out there and then come home on Sunday. If anyone wants to come you more than welcome.

Sorry:(
Jeff

jaminjer
01-19-2007, 01:28 AM
I plan on going still to bee canyon this saturday
Where is mamonth wash?

I drive a white ford f250 and my name is jerry for those that are going this saturday.

kick
01-19-2007, 07:14 AM
That's cool if you can't make it... maybe someday we can get together again...

I'll still be there. For anyone looking for me, my name is Nate and I'm driving my new Z71 Colorado. I'll be the guy on the little yellow 250EX. ;)

Incidentally I might be buying a new quad next week. :D Still shopping around.

kick
01-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Gonna be a really nice day tomorrow. Partly cloudy, but mild temperatures.

I'll still be wearing my rain gear in case we do find snow left up there though. :)

jaminjer
01-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Ill be there about 930am

kick
01-20-2007, 05:03 AM
Ill be there about 930am
Cool, ditto for me :)

jaminjer
01-22-2007, 06:55 PM
I got to ride in bee canyon with kick and his brother sunday. I had a real good time and especially enjoyed riding in the snow. I cant wait till it snows again up there.:D

kick
01-23-2007, 07:28 AM
I got to ride in bee canyon with kick and his brother sunday. I had a real good time and especially enjoyed riding in the snow. I cant wait till it snows again up there.:D
Yeah the snow kicks ***. :D It was really cool meeting you, and seeing that nice new 400 too.

kick
01-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Just brought home my new team green 07 KFX700 tonight!!!!! :cool:

Lets go ride! :D

jaminjer
01-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Congrats Nate, hope you enjoy it. I think you might need a bigger place to ride once you have it broken in.

the*ovenman
01-26-2007, 12:27 AM
Nice! Let me know how that rides I am thinking about getting one!

kick
01-26-2007, 05:54 AM
Thanks guys... Oh and yeah, the capabilities of this bike are more than this trail can handle, although I'm sure I'll still ride it once in a while.

But indeed, I will need to find some new territory to roam. This bike will finally see me hitting some dunes somewhere though too.

Oven, I will definitely let you know what I think as soon as I get out there with it. :D I rode it around before I parked it last night, following the manual's suggested break in methods of never going over 1/2 throttle...

Lets just say that 1/3 throttle resulted in carrying the suspension in full droop for about 25 feet :eek: :cool: This thing has power to spare... I can't WAIT to see it at wide open throttle.

kick
01-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Nice! Let me know how that rides I am thinking about getting one!
WOW. I wasn't even at 1/3 throttle the other day when I thought I was. It was less.

I found out the next day how far the throttle actually went. :eek: I was hanging on for dear life.

I'm almost speechless. I love it. It's always in the power band, and is fast as hell. Has power at every moment. Geez. Oh, and it sounds like the gates of Hell being opened. :D

jaminjer
01-27-2007, 03:21 PM
I am jealous. glad you are having fun, just be careful.

Today we went to the riding on the east side of the freeway by railroad canyon in lake elsinore. There was trails for ever. We rode for about 3 hours and hardly ever rode the same trail twice.

the*ovenman
01-29-2007, 12:03 AM
I am glad you like your new toy. Last week I bought a toy hauler, and then my girlfriend bought us a memebership to some RV campgrounds and I was like WTF I cant ride at those p[laces. Well this weekend we went to Pio Pico its a campground near Otay Lake which is south east of San Diego. I found some real fun places to ride right along the US Mexico border. And some killer Veiws from the top f the mountain. It was alot of fun. If any of you ever get down this way we should go up there. Its mostly all gravel roads untill you get to the other side of the mountain then there is a whole bunch of Dirt trails. I have a YFZ 450 and borrowed my friends Blaster. I let my girl friend ride mine and I rode the Blaster this was only the second time she has ever ridden and she rode the roads fine and never even got out of first gear.HEHEHE But she had a blast and cant wait to learn how to shift. I tried teaching here but she was to scared.

kick
01-29-2007, 06:52 AM
Haha right on... Sounds like a good trip. I'd like to branch out and start seeing some new vistas. :cool:

Here's some pics of my new toy:

http://i11.tinypic.com/2uz9nck.jpg

http://i3.tinypic.com/44v134p.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/2ro0q34.jpg

jaminjer
01-29-2007, 08:35 AM
kick you need to change your signature now.

congrats on the new toyhauler *ovenman.

I have a 5th wheel and am trying to get some money to have a rack built on top of the truck to haul my quad. I am also looking into getting my class A drivers license so i can pull a small trailer with the quad behind the 5th wheel. I bought the 5th wheel long before I had my quad.

kick
01-29-2007, 11:58 AM
kick you need to change your signature now.

congrats on the new toyhauler *ovenman.

I have a 5th wheel and am trying to get some money to have a rack built on top of the truck to haul my quad. I am also looking into getting my class A drivers license so i can pull a small trailer with the quad behind the 5th wheel. I bought the 5th wheel long before I had my quad.
That's right... I better do that now. :D

Can you get certified for class A doubles? That would be kick ***! :cool: The only bad thing about Class A licenses are how stiff the tickets are if you ever get em :(

So the Lake Elsinore spot you guys found was ok to ride in, no deputies come to look for ya? I might like to see this place....

jaminjer
01-29-2007, 12:17 PM
we rode for a few hours saturday, then my neighbor rode with friends of his for a few hours sunday. We havent heard of anyone getting in trouble.

kick
01-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Hey Jerry... Possible snow forecasted for Idyllwild the next 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

kick
02-06-2007, 06:44 AM
Rode the KFX in the snow. :cool: Hoo boy this thing can pitch sideways for days :D

jaminjer
02-06-2007, 08:40 AM
did it snow more up there? we went riding off railroad canyon, between canyon lake and central avenue. We are gone for hours and never ride the same trail twice. My buddy is talking about trying gilman springs road. none of these are really legal but have not heard of anyone getting in trouble.

Jay Stunna
12-12-2009, 05:19 PM
If your down to ride sunday morning let me know or anybody else call me at 858-344-8429 dirtbikes are welcome as well! I usually ride dirtbikes but my bike is down at the time! So I'm taking my quad 450 to tear the trails let me know whoe's down to get muddy n wet!!!!!