PDA

View Full Version : Smoother clutch engagement

GT300
11-06-2006, 12:57 PM
The clutch on my 87 R feels like it engages too abruptly. I can let the clutch out half way until it catches and when it does it requires lots of throttle. I would like a more solid/gradual feel if you know what I mean. I have an E-Z pull clutch lever and cable and have already tried messing with the adjustments and still am not satisfied. As far as I know the cluch is stock. I have heard that it is possible to interchange parts with a 300EX for a better feel, but wanted to know if you guys have any other ideas.

86 Quad R
11-06-2006, 01:34 PM
your clutch arm or push rod or both may be worn.

xlr810
11-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Sounds like your clutch basket is grooved.

wilkin250r
11-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Do you know the history on this motor? If you have a lightened flywheel or CR ignition you are missing some rotational inertia, so it takes more throttle and revs to keep the motor running. The CR ignitions are EXTREMELY light, they are very prone to stalling.

kiesta00
11-06-2006, 11:30 PM
mine does the same thing, I used to get pissed off in the dunes b/c it would stall all of the time, just gotta get used to it...

GT300
11-07-2006, 11:37 AM
A friend conferred that the clutch basket is most likely grooved. I don't know the entire history of the quad, but I do know that the previous two owners weren't too much into performance so I doubt that it has a lightened flywheel or CR ignition. Looks like I'll take it apart and see. Kiesta, I know exactly what you mean.