PDA

View Full Version : what i need for xc racing

416 racer
11-06-2006, 10:23 AM
hey guys can u please tell me what i need for xc i know i need beadlocks hand guards and a set of maxxis tires wich i know i dont have to but i like them wat else is there thos i just got my yfz last saturday and i want to set it up for gncc thank you

BladeRunner
11-06-2006, 12:25 PM
The only thing you NEED for GNCC is a kill switch. I've seen totally stock quads race. I would recommend handguards and 6 ply tires.

4TraxRider
11-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Little things like roll off's and tearoffs help tremendously, although they aren't really for your quad. Great maintenance is the best way to do well in XC, no dnf's. Make sure your quads comfortable, your going to be on it for a while. Sometimes bars and the right grips make all the difference in the world. You would probably benefit from a steering stabilizer as well, great investment. Good luck with the new quad.

gotwarrior
11-06-2006, 02:37 PM
suspension is everthing. Just think, you are taking a beating for about 2 hours straight. I would check into some nerfs, but other than that everthing else can wait. I mean you can put a jet kit, pipe and filter on when ever. And skid plates are a must.

These are the things that I would get of the bat.

-suspeension
-tires
-handguards
-nerfs
-pipe
-filter
-jet kit
-skid plates

dopeyferree
11-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Here is a list in order

1-Kill Switch only Mandatory Item
2 Good Tires
3 Skid Plates
4. Good Handle bars Flexx if you can
5. Steering Stabilizer.

These are the most important in my opinion. After that start adding anything you can afford to improve rider comfort. Good suspension is priceless. If your on a budget sent your stock shocks to GT THunder. I have Elka fronts and GT thunder rear shock. I think i probley wouldnt be able to tell the difference between the high priced elkas and GT Thunder rebuilds.

infantry317
11-11-2006, 06:30 PM
No doubt, beadlocks are only needed if you are literally one of the fastest xc guys in your state. Some of my buds have been in the top three in D23 and none use beadlocks.

Suspension is gonna be key with a YFZ, those stock shocks will beat the crap out of you! Stabilizer, 6-ply tires, thick skid plates.

Good luck

ugotbit
11-12-2006, 12:50 PM
IMO skid plates and tires are on the top of the list. You cant finish a race if your quad is jacked up. Nerfs are also something to look into, I like my legs non-broken. After that its all about comfort and being able to last the whole race. Stabilzer, flex bars and suspension all will help with comfort. Check out TCS and GT Thunder for re working your stock suspension...