PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a cop?

NikNacs67
11-06-2006, 12:05 AM
I was talking to my sister today about becoming a PI or a cop. She's taking a 4 year course of Criminal Justice and I was thinking of doing the same. I graduated last May so this would be the time to figure out what I wanted to do. I would just like to get more information about both.

wilkin250r
11-06-2006, 02:02 AM
You don't necessarily need a 4-yr degree in Criminal Justice, very few police officers have degrees. But a few classes in Criminal Justice can certainly get you in the door somewhere and allow you to go through POST (Police Officer Standard Training).

LTZ400rider
11-06-2006, 04:01 AM
i know philly cops only need police academy and 1 year living in the city. check with a local police officer and you can maybe even take a ride with him.

cop292
11-06-2006, 04:44 AM
The more education you have, the better. Most departments do not require a college degree. However, a lot of the higher paying suburban departments do. Even if you attend a program where you get an associates degree it is a plus. Before you commit to law enforcement as a career talk to several cops from different departments and get some ride alongs. Good Luck!

infantry317
11-06-2006, 06:05 AM
Think hard about it, I have a lot of respect for cops, I almost went into it after the army. But there's a lot of baggage that goes with it. I have three uncles (two were state troopers, one aunt and a buddy that are or were cops, they all have a drinking problem. You will see a lot of bad things, child abuse is the one my buddy said really gets to him.

On the other hand you can help people and hopefully not get too jaded. Just get all the facts like these guys are saying.

I-7
11-06-2006, 06:06 AM
I am getting my bachelors degree in criminal justice specifically drug enforcement. I'm doing 2 years in manhattan at john jay college of criminal justice and then im doing 2 years at SUNY albany. I hope to be a narcotics detective with the new york state troopers.

NikNacs67
11-06-2006, 02:08 PM
The more education, the better. I want to get off to a good start once im done with training/college. Also, what does it take to become a state trooper? I know enough about local and county police but would like to get more info from you guys about state'rs.

ECATV Raptor
11-06-2006, 02:42 PM
A buddy of mine wanted to become a State Trooper. The only reason he didnt become one is because they make u bench your entire body weight. And this guys a beast. Just wat ive heard.

NikNacs67
11-06-2006, 03:05 PM
That ain't too bad. I just gotta get back into shape because after hockey season stopped, I haven't done much cardio work.

infantry317
11-06-2006, 04:02 PM
You usually have to be in the highest percentiles of your college classes and pt to get looked at for being a trooper.