PDA

View Full Version : porting

christophere251
11-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Yall give me some hints, tricks or secrets about porting these 250r's

86 Quad R
11-05-2006, 10:15 PM
have someone that knows what they are doin port it.

Aceman
11-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Step away from the cylinder!

250r4life
11-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
Step away from the cylinder!

:D

the first two replies pretty muched covered it...

wilkin250r
11-06-2006, 03:22 AM
Porting is one of those skills that takes years to learn and perfect.

But if you're looking for a simple starting point, go 2mm wider and 1mm taller on the exhaust, and go ride it. Most anybody that gets into porting starts with this simple step.

SuperChris
11-06-2006, 11:58 AM
I am just about done buying all the tools needed, and I'm LOTS of money into them. I have a half dozen junk cylinders to practice screwing up and still plan to get more. Not everybody should take their stuff to someone else. He is asking because he want's to learn, just like me. Everyone starts somewhere and if every good porter was told to take his first job to someone else, Nobody would be able to port a cylinder worth a darn.

christophere251
11-06-2006, 12:19 PM
ive ported many automobile heads and just did my 400ex and its got about 53 hp. I can do the porting i just dont know the tricks to making good power on a two stroke!

86 Quad R
11-06-2006, 12:27 PM
if ya have plenty of WASTE cylinders to practice on that's cool. its a good way to practice and get comfortable with the tools but, its another thing to develope tecnique and to learn an engine and what makes it work. its not a matter of just removing material at given areas. its learning the numbers and which ones apply to a particular power range. one also has to learn how to port map.

as to what tips, tricks and hints there is to porting a cylinder...... i'd suggest that ya do ya homework and search around to find information regarding specific port numbers and how to establish them in a cylinder.

another thing ya may want to consider is to get a cylinder that you KNOW has a particular port (power range) job from an established porter and learn how to record the numbers, then duplicate them in a "virgin" cylinder. :cool:

Creech52
11-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Porting a two stroke is a whole other animal compared to "porting" an automotive head. Automotive heads are pretty simple in porting, its basically cleaning up things and opening it up more, when it comes to two strokes your messing with degrees of port timing and stuff, its pretty complicated to port a two stroke however if your just cleaning things up and knife edging things its pretty simple and pretty effective. Hop on a search engine and search for the MacDizzy website, theres a ton of info on porting and alot is specific to the R motor.
Das Tote

C-LEIGH RACING
11-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by christophere251
Yall give me some hints, tricks or secrets about porting these 250r's

One important tip would be if you are going to port, look at each thing you do to a cylinder as a test & not that you have turned the engine into a power monster.

Get some two stroke books & read whats going on inside a two stroke engine.
When you fully understand whats happening on a two stroke engine from the air filter element, the carb & through the cylinder & pipe to the end of the silencer, then you can start thinking about making power.
Realy, to be honest though, even when you get to that point, knowing what to do & making power, it wont be worth a plug nickel if who ever your doing it for cant ride.

It takes a good rider to do good on a built two stroke, most 4 stroke riders need not even apply.
Neil

mxduner
11-09-2006, 09:57 PM
It takes a good rider to do good on a built two stroke, most 4 stroke riders need not even apply.
:D