PDA

View Full Version : parking brake block-off!

QuadRacer18
11-05-2006, 08:29 PM
i am rebuilding the rear brakes on my 400ex because i bought the quad with the rear brakes leaking. It has a moose block ff plate. Im trying to blead the brakes and the fluid keeps leaking out the block-off, the stock o-rings dont fit, is there an aftermarket gasket for block-offs? I need this fixed asap. If this block off doesnt work im gonna buy the parking brake and the stock o-ring and put that on. let me know!

Ceph
11-05-2006, 09:31 PM
the block off plate is just a cover, it has no gaskets or o-rings. the leaking o-ring is on the original parking brake shaft, under the plate.

killed300ex
11-06-2006, 04:54 AM
I had the same problem with my old 300ex. You need to rebuild your caliper. Honda hasa rebuild kit for the brakes but it will not include the one part that you need. There is a third o ring for your parking brake that is your problem. Here is a how to for rebuilding the caliper
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=221741
Evan

svahle
11-06-2006, 08:27 AM
The o-ring you need goes around the piston shaft that exits the caliper under the block off plate. The o-ring is only a few bucks from Honda.

Here is another link regarding your specific problem. Good luck.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=259671

QuadRacer18
11-07-2006, 07:58 AM
if i just put the stock parking brake on with the large o-ring that gos between the parking brak and caliper will this be another way to solve the problem without ripping my brake apart?

killed300ex
11-07-2006, 12:48 PM
It might work for a short time but I wouldnt be chancing your brakes on it. Being able to stop is worth the hour of time and $15 worth of parts it takes to fix it right.

JOEX
11-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by QuadRacer18
if i just put the stock parking brake on with the large o-ring that gos between the parking brak and caliper will this be another way to solve the problem without ripping my brake apart?
That may treat the symptom but it wont fix the problem:ermm:

The leak will still be there but you wont see it.