PDA

View Full Version : Post graduation options

Jake250ex
11-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Ok, for once Im going to make an attempt at an educated and serious post.

I find myself in a situation I dont want to be. Im a senior in high school, and have "ran out of steam". I have no motivation and Im not doing so hot. I dont like it much, my grades are poor and I dont really have the money or drive to go to school after H.S. anyway.

So, Im exploring my options. Right now I am detailing cars at a local body shop for $9/hr and everyday I promise myself I wont end up in a hell hole situation like this when school is out. I have an idea what I want to do but I am warned away by everyone I mention it to.

I want to go into constructoin. The pay is good and its not the same scene everyday. I like working in groups and have a short attnetion span. I did it for a month or so over the summer of my junior year and loved it. However, I dont know much about it at all. I dont know what I want to get into. I will do an apprentiship or something like that if I have a good idea. I was thinking equpment operator is what I want to end up being. I know schooling is necessary for that, but I imagine id be happy with it.

What I'm saying is, Im getting scared of amounting to nothing and job hopping to crap that I hate doing. Can anyone shine some light on me here?

MOFO
11-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex

What I'm saying is, Im getting scared of amounting to nothing and job hopping to crap that I hate doing. Can anyone shine some light on me here?

You need more motivation than this? Continue your education! In today's world its VERY difficult to do well without a degree. Why handicap yourself right out of the gate in the real world??? :confused:

Now that I am in a position of doing interviews, any application that does not have some type of degree after HS just get tossed aside.

troutman561
11-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Yea atleast goto a trade school or something studying something you enjoy doing because atleast then you can have a little head start over the people who started right out of HS....

miller821
11-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Is going into the military an option? If so i'd really look into it, even if its just a 4 year plan or longer.

coolex
11-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
You need more motivation than this? Continue your education! In today's world its VERY difficult to do well without a degree. Why handicap yourself right out of the gate in the real world??? :confused:

Now that I am in a position of doing interviews, any application that does not have some type of degree after HS just get tossed aside.

may i ask what field your in for doing job interviews
, that require a degree

and yes id go to trade school im in it now for electrical and yes I also have add they have pills for it and they work good for me, but a trade would be good, the schooling is alot cheaper, you can take night classes, and the class im in right now is all hands on with barely any paper work, excpet for the needed blueprinting etc.

MOFO
11-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by coolex
may i ask what field your in for doing job interviews
, that require a degree

and yes id go to trade school im in it now for electrical and yes I also have add they have pills for it and they work good for me, but a trade would be good, the schooling is alot cheaper, you can take night classes, and the class im in right now is all hands on with barely any paper work, excpet for the needed blueprinting etc.

I interview service technicians who work on various equipment... anything from troubleshooting network issues, reloading software to possibly working on a 100 year old vault in a bank.

What they heck are you talking about... pills? :confused:

LTZ400rider
11-05-2006, 04:17 PM
ADDERALL!!!!!!

only thing that kept me from sleepin in 10th grade :blah:

if u decide to do construction join the union, u start out like 15 bucks an hour do 4 years of apprentice school and now u get a degree in construction management.

after four years u will be makin about 30 bucks an hour. its definetly rough work and isnt fun when u get old.

id say look into some kind of tech school, work on computers or something.

MOFO
11-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by LTZ400rider
ADDERALL!!!!!!

only thing that kept me from sleepin in 10th grade :blah:

This is part of the problem with kids today... everyone thinks they need drugs to stay awake or keep focused on something. :rolleyes:

Try this... get a full 8 hours of sleep and eat a healthy diet!

Chino
11-05-2006, 06:02 PM
This is part of the problem with kids today... everyone thinks they need drugs to stay awake or keep focused on something. :rolleyes:

WORD!

mx428
11-05-2006, 06:19 PM
My buddy is a senior in highschool and is intesrested in Construction managment. He doesn't want an office job and doesn't want to be outside allday everyday ethier.So it's a good fit. Around here the bigger builders take internships from college kids, starting freshman year. After 3 years if they like you they pay for your senior year of college and sign you for 3 years afterwards.

Jake250ex
11-05-2006, 10:06 PM

no joke. Im sick of hearing if I get perscribed to this or that it will make me willing to work.

But what do you guys think would be necessary to get me in? Now that you mention it, I will end up hating it when I get older and Im trying to work like im still 20. Hopefully by the time my hair turns gray I will be in a managment position instead of grunting down in the mud hole with a shovel.

400exfan19
11-05-2006, 10:14 PM
become a farmer! now thats good money, but the problem is gettin into it....

Aceman
11-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Get motivated! If you don't want to end up in some chit hole job, do something about it! No one is going to hold your and do the work for you, this is the real world, no more mommy and daddy. If you like construction/operating equipment look into it. Go back to the place you worked for and ask how to get into it permanently. Look up the bureau of labor and industries for your state and see what kind of programs they offer. This is if you've decided not to go to college and pursue a degree which would obviously increase your chances of landing MOST any job you apply for including apprenticeship openings.

LTZ400rider
11-06-2006, 04:10 AM

i was just kiddin about adderall, it really does work, but i think its a horrible thing. i really think drugs should be a last resort

Honda#4
11-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Farming really isnt that great to do, it gets boring after a while but it pays ok. I'm getting $7 and $8 an hour but that aint enough for me. I would like to do stuff with small engines like with building atv engines.