PDA

View Full Version : How do I break the bead to get old tires off?

fastyz85
11-05-2006, 05:56 AM
hey guys i have a set of 20-11-8 Maxxis Razr tires in the mail and just wanted to ask or see if anyone knew how to break the bead on the old tires with breaking something on my own body. lol I know how to put them on once I get the old tires off using a ratchetstrap and filling it up with air until the bead seats to the inner side of the rim making sure my fingers are not along the edge or else my new nickname will be stumpy.:eek2: :D any info will be appreciated.

Ceph
11-05-2006, 06:20 AM
best bet would be to go to your local shop and see if you can borrow their bead breaker. other wise you'll be finding a long board and doin alot of jumping. as long as you didn't slime your tires, it should be ok.

fastyz85
11-05-2006, 07:04 AM
thanks ceph another thing is my dad works at a local car dealership and i was gonna see if there tire machine could take them off and put the new tires on, I'm just worried that it won't fit quad tires and then i have to go to my local atv dealership which charges 30 bucks a tire.

4 shizzle
11-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Everyone likes to say take to a shop. I can understand why they say that, but never have. I have this tire tool from Harbor Freight that I use for every tire I own. I got it on sale for $35. Even with that, I have to use a couple of other tricks to break beads. Lots of dish soap helps. I push down a section a little without breaking the bead, then move to the next section, etc and then make another pass. This helps because I cant always break the bead on the first pass trying to do it all at once(sorry if this is confusing).
The hardest part is done, but the next part is the most important. Getting the tire off the rim without screwing up the bead is not easy. If you tear up the bead getting the tire off ,you just wasted the money you saved from taking it to a shop. You have to have the opposite side of the tire your working with in the low part of the rim. Something like this is easier to show than to tell you how to do. If you do a search they have many how-tos.

You can do it yourself, but its hard. Just a warning. If you have any questions just ask.

02440exkid
11-05-2006, 08:25 AM
ya it's a B I T C H to get them off even with a tire machine :)

Kaleigh
11-05-2006, 11:03 AM
be carefull with just going to a local shop.. go to someone you trust.. cause I have seen many places dont really care and will do anything to get your rims off and on.. atv rims are alot harder to take off.. the one shop ended up scratching the edges of my one rim.. so just keep an eye on them if you cant trust them.. you paid good money for those rims.. you dont want someone to mess them up

tyler3400
11-05-2006, 04:45 PM
i was in the same situation you were with not wanting to pay all that money to get them off.. i tried everything i could think of then me and my buddy decided to try a thing we heard his brother say.we took my step dads truck and lined the edge og one of the rims up with the trucks tire and just carefully drover right next to the edge of the rim and the bead came right off. i dont really know if you can understand it from that explanation but if u could id give it a try worked so easy for me.. good luck wiht it

Ceph
11-05-2006, 04:48 PM
it's much easier with the machine at the shop, but some of those mud tires are a serious PITA. i even have tire spoons, and i won't do one at home... i take it to work and do it.