PDA

View Full Version : Bent TieROD

chevy19
11-04-2006, 01:55 PM
my right front tie rod on my 400ex is bent what will this do? the handlebars shake like crazy in 3rd buy the one rim is really bent up so i was gonna wait until i get new rims to adjust the toe in and all that. can they be bent back and also how do the tie rods come out?

md1985250r
11-04-2006, 03:33 PM
they can be bent back but you can never get them perfect. spend $10 and get a new one. as for taking them off , just crack the jamb nuts and screw the thing out. it is extremely easy.

Honda#4
11-04-2006, 03:41 PM
remember that one is threaded on backwards.

KingpinsEx
11-05-2006, 08:06 AM
I have bent my tierods numerous times and simply just bent them back. Stock tie rods are not very strong and i think you are wasting your money if you buy stock replacements. It is true that you most likely wont get it perfect but as i said mine have been straighten back at least twice and the machine handles fine. Just take your time and get it as close as you can. If you are gonna replace them i would suggest looking into some aftermarket ones that can actually withstand a little impact...

prepracing
11-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Honda#4
remember that one is threaded on backwards.

that would be left handed threads

Honda#4
11-05-2006, 09:45 AM
yea thats what I meant sorry.

Kaleigh
11-05-2006, 10:43 AM
you can bend it back for now.. mine was bent so bad it was almost touching my a arm.. i bent it back about a month ago and its find.. you can buy a replacement one. they are pretty cheap in price and quality.. but oh well.. it works.. not everyone want to part with that much money for aft tierods.. so if you are not rolling your machine or smashing into everything.. go with stock and save your money.. but just make sure you get your Toe IN corrected.. thats what is causing you to lose control..

gojk
11-05-2006, 03:19 PM
I have bent alot of stock tierods. I actually prefer to use the stock tie rods because they do bend easily. I rather they get bent than something that is alot more costly. I almost always had an extra tie rod on hand. I think they are only 7 dolllars from service honda. Just add a couple to your next order.

adinocr7
11-06-2006, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by gojk
I have bent alot of stock tierods. I actually prefer to use the stock tie rods because they do bend easily. I rather they get bent than something that is alot more costly. I almost always had an extra tie rod on hand. I think they are only 7 dolllars from service honda. Just add a couple to your next order.

I am with you 100% on this one. I've bent two tie rods over the summer. I had no complaints about about having to replace a $10 - $20 tie rod. In fact I had one ready to go with the ends already dialed in the second time I had bent one. I would not recommend using an aftermarket tie rod. Because instead of costing $20 to fix you could be looking at damage to an a-arm or even worse off your frame. Buy an extra stock tie rod (with the ends) and have it ready to go just in case. Its cheap insurance and within 15 minutes you can throw it on and be back on the track / trails.

KingpinsEx
11-06-2006, 08:43 AM
I have never used aftermarket tie-rods so i am unsure of the price, but i don't see worrying of breaking an a-arm or a frame. Even with that added strength of an aftermarket, i highly doubt it will be as strong or stronger than your a-arms. Which in that case of extreme impact the tie rod would still bend before your a-arm or frame would. The majoirty of the time i bend my stockers is just from clipping the sides or rocks or whatnot, nothing serious like hitting a tree. So with an aftermarket i would think they could handle that impact and wouldnt need to worry about replacing it everytime some little thing happens. I see this rational with handle bars, i would prefer weaker bars so that they bend instead of the much more expensive steering stem, which with a quad is flipping most likely would bend. But i dont see some stronger tie rods causing a-arms to bend, unless its in a case were they would break with our without aftermarket tie rods, thats just my two cents...

Bill Fuller
11-06-2006, 09:18 AM
You will have to keep straightening out a bent tierod.Once it has bent it will be weaker.Spend $20 or so and buy you a couple of replacements.Money well spent.