PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft=which one?

scott84
11-04-2006, 01:21 PM
I am currently doing a little off season maintenance on my 450r (2006). I have decided that the best reliable upgrade would be a cam and maybe a piston(stock compression). I am also putting kibblewhite valves on the head.

Does anyone know how I could order the hrc cam separate from the kit. I haven't call the honda dealer, I just need some info to figure out If I can. Also, If anyone could provide some info on the power gains of the cam, that would be nice. I need some low to mid manageable power for xc racing. I want to stay away from the top end power gain. Please provide any info that you have. maybe I need to change my cam decision to another brand, just direct me in the right direction. I need to figure it out while I've got it all apart.

Thanks,

Scott #84

CHEVYZ
11-04-2006, 01:57 PM
The HRC cam sounds like a great choice for you. Lots of bottom to mid. You can get one on ebay for about $180 or so seperate from the kit... depending on what all you haven't already done to the bike, it may be a good choice to get the entire kit. Also, although the cam is priced a little more than some others, do not let that discourage you. You get what you pay for and the HRC is top notch (Experience with other cams to back it up). The gains are quite impressive. Before my buddy put in an HRC cam (had full exhaust, K&N airfilter, rev box), I could consitantly pull on his bike in every gear with just an HRC kit. I would get 3-4 bikes on him in a short drag everytime, and with a longer run, my bike continued to pull. He was sold on the HRC kit afterwards. He installed the kit and it was night and day. Way faster. Also made his bike run better.

krt400ex
11-04-2006, 02:49 PM
the Hotcams stage 1 for the 450R is a bottom to midrange cam, and that is going to be a heck of alot cheaper than the HRC cam

cals400ex
11-04-2006, 07:02 PM
i have an HRC cam i will sell you if you are interested.

stocktires
11-04-2006, 07:18 PM
stock crf cam, probably an 03. Isn't that the HRC cam? If so, just pick up a used crf cam.
06 would be nice on a more modded motor.
Just throwing some awesome cheap alternatives out there.

scott84
11-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Hey guys, thanks alot for the info. If anyone else has some input feel free to share. I'm also looking for the hrc cam (2006). Let me know if anyone is selling.