PDA

View Full Version : Okay, now I did it. Rims are stuck on the lugs.

d33pt
11-03-2006, 11:45 PM
So I was dumb and didn't search before I mounted my ITP aluminum rims. I put the stock lugnuts on with the conical side in and now it messed up the holes and the rims look like they're welded on. NOW WHAT? I tried banging with a 4lb hammer and no go. Do I just need a bigger hammer? Tried heating it up with a torch a little bit too. PB Blaster? I don't wanna put a big prybay on it just yet. Brand new rims.

vze2hnvz
11-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Take the whole hub off if you can. You can tap the lugs/hub out of the rim much easier than tapping the rim off the hub.;)

250ex13
11-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Lol, it may not be good for the rims but this happend to me yesteray, so I took the lug nuts of and drove the quad 10 feet and sure enough the rims came off.

yellowzo3
11-08-2006, 03:19 PM
^^ if you do that you may ruin the threads on the hubs. you can use a pics of wood and hit the rims until they budge. or do like vze2hnvz said and take the hubs off the axle. some people even keep the hubs stuck to the rims and use them as one complete set of spare wheels. they buy new hubs and put them on the quad for other rims and tires. this is actually a common problem so dont feel bad. happened to me too.

rooster300ex
11-08-2006, 05:05 PM
How in the hell did that happen. Aftermarket rims you get washers and turn the lugnuts around and tighten it up. Very simple.

d33pt
11-16-2006, 12:20 AM
Got it out. Thanks for the help guys. This is what I did.

Took the hubs off. The cotter pins were really hard to take out inside the deep rims. I drilled them out. Is that what that hole is for?

Then I banged on each stud with a big punch. After one let loose, the rest came out pretty easily.

Grumpy Wookie
11-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
How in the hell did that happen. Aftermarket rims you get washers and turn the lugnuts around and tighten it up. Very simple.

Ok, there are a lot of us that have done this. Not all aftermarket rims "come with" washers, and sometimes the sales people take that knowledge for granted when the sell you the stuff. Not everyone has your infinite wisdom sir. I have done it, my friends have all done it. It is more simple to believe that you can keep the lugs on the way they were put on by the factory than to think that aluminum wheels will weld themselves on to the hub.

Lets concentrate on fixing the problem that is presented than acting like the poster is an idiot. Im sure you will screw something up one day as well...

exrider23
11-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Wait i ahve ITP c-series wheels, was i not suppose to use the stock lugnuts?

vze2hnvz
11-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Yes, you can use the same lug nuts. Just put them on backwards, so the bevel faces outward.

d33pt
11-26-2006, 10:10 AM
I think the ITP C Series are ok to have the lugs in the normal way. Basically, if the holes are snug around the lugs, then you turn the nuts around. If the holes are loose, like the stock rims, then you can put the lugs in normally.

banchee dave
12-09-2006, 04:48 PM
I know this is a little late but my friend bought a 250r and his was that way from the get go. we need to switch to paddles and that was when we found out the rims were stuck to the hubs. he beat the tires with a 2x4 until he hit the rotor with it and bent the rotor. don't hit the rotor. we ended up knocking out the lugs themslves with a hammer and a drift until the rim came free. we had to do this at the trail head, not fun.

blown331
12-10-2006, 08:50 AM
my buddy just bought 2 brand new atv's yesterday.. YFZ450 and a Polaris 200 for his wife... well, I went to the dunes early in the morning and went riding with them on the hard pack later in the day..

To make a long story short I ALMOST had the same experience but not as bad... when putting my stock rims/tires back on he had the flat side of the nut going towards the rim rather than the accorn part. Good thing I remembered rims would have more than likely been off center

Good thing he wasn't putting on my douglas' :)

AZ RYDER
01-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Same thing happened to me so I hit the rim with a lead hammer and got them off.