PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter

Rip_Tear
09-09-2002, 07:43 PM
On generaly any air filter are you supposed to put oil on it? I have heard people say about it? I have never done it on my 300 and I havent had a problem..? If so what kind of oil?
Thanks

Woodsrider
09-09-2002, 08:02 PM
if it is a foam filter you should clean it and re-oil it.

jc_sportrax
09-09-2002, 08:34 PM
lots of companies make filter oil. I use UNI spray-on foam filter oil. You can get it at any dealer that sells UNI filters. It generally costs about $5.00 a can. You should defenetly soak the filter in oil after evrey cleaning, the oil helps trap dirt in the foam so it don't get into your motor and ruin it. Just follow the instructions on the back of the can.:)

ridefastrgetoff
09-10-2002, 08:12 AM
Oiling these is the right thing to do, HOWEVER, "soaking" it in foam oil can create other problems. Full-Depth, Foam Filters are designed to work thru entire filter whereas a paper element is designed to work primarily on the surface only; if something gets past the surface of a paper filter, it's going straight into your engine, however, with a foam filter, it continues to filter all the way thru -- generally, if a particle can pass completely thru a foam filter, it will be so small, it will be of no significance in doing harm to your engine. Foam filters work best under full velocity of air flow; when you're riding your quad, going say 40 mph and you accidentally seperate yourself from your sled, no matter where the quad goes, you will continue flying in the same direction you were going prior to being ejected. This same principle is what I'm talking about when describing full-depth foam filters. You can read more about them at:

www.SyntheticsExcel.com

look on the left side, scroll down to "Product Info"

Rip_Tear
09-10-2002, 06:01 PM
Okay, its a foam filter, I will get some oil for it then, I didnt want to seem like a dumb *** asking a dealer about it... to wash it I usually just soak it in gas, then let it dry out, goes from a dark green to a light grean, the gas turns brown, but then I clean the gas, so very little loss, this is okay right? I have never had any problems neither have anyone I know who does it. What do you guys do?

yamaha1470
09-10-2002, 06:10 PM
i dont think ur supposed to use gas. amd what do u mean by after the gas turns brown they u clean the gas?

Rip_Tear
09-10-2002, 06:12 PM
I just filter it to get the dirt out so I can use it to do it next time.

yamaha1470
09-10-2002, 06:38 PM
ooo ok i thought u meant like u do something to it then put it in ur quad or something

ridefastrgetoff
09-10-2002, 06:38 PM
your foam filter or any other type of solvent; simply use soap and water and then let it air dry and not in the sun. Solvents and the sun are the two most harmful elements because they will both dry-out the filter, make it brittle and cause premature breakdown of the foam. It will begin to breakdown and the tiny pieces will get sucked into the intake. If maintained properly, this filter should last you up to a couple years, even if you're cleaning it very frequently. The extra money these cost is well worth it.

www.SyntheticsExcel.com

Rip_Tear
09-10-2002, 06:43 PM
... Well my quad is a 94 with the stock air filter and every else except the rear tires, CDI, and rectifier which where all replaced this year because I fried them in the water.... dont ask. Okay, from now on I will use water to wash it off. There is nothing wrong with my filter right now. Thanks

jwisniew
09-11-2002, 09:44 AM
is use parts cleaner (or paint thinner) to soak it then let it dry and spray with a light layer of dw40. Is this okay?

lil400exman
09-17-2002, 02:46 PM
no no use mild soap and hot water soak it aall aorund at shyt thrnr use maxima fft foam filter treatment that dtuf is the best i swear by it!!!!!;)