PDA

View Full Version : This is why YFZ's have oiling problems

Ride1Rob
11-03-2006, 03:32 PM
This is why our bikes aren't getting enough oil through them. I just had mine rebuilt and there is alil metal from breakin, but the rest is gunk. Probably from loctite. There was also a little grass on this screen. I was going to wait to check b/c normally I check it every 3-4 oil changes. But due to my motor getting rebuilt and I don't even have 4hrs on it something told me to check it... I'M GLAD I DID! Sad thing about it... ALOT of dealers steal have no clue about this screen.

1st pic is after it was cleaned and ready to put back into the oil tank

2nd and 3rd pics are completely disgusting...

http://img436.imageshack.us/img436/6024/img1481gc1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img436.imageshack.us/img436/3856/img1464or9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3481/img1473mh9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

f1502nv
11-03-2006, 05:02 PM
how long has it been since you cleaned it last? if you havent ever cleaned it how old it the bike? im just tring to figure out how long we should go before we pull the tank and clean for maintenance.

YFZ450 11x
11-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Wtf man :eek: I found out about that screen 9 mos after I bought my YFZ and I took it out to clean it and it wasnt enev close to thet bad.It was bad enough that I cut it right out. It was a little bit to much of a pain in th ***** to reach to clean after every oil change( I do an oil and filter change after every ride).
If I were you I would check your engine breather lines to make sure they are still on correctly. A buddy of mine had this problem and his motor sucked in all kinds of dirt, grass, bugs...Doesnt look normal to me!!! :confused:

Ride1Rob
11-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Like stated in my post, the bikes fresh off of a rebuild. That's where all the gunk from the loctite is from. The grass... I haven't had that problem since I got rid of my stock filter. Once I went with my K&N it solved that problem... til I checked it this time. Recently I've had a friend of mine whose bike was having motor problems due to lack of oil. I kept asking the guy at the shop to check that screen and I don't think he ever did.

Ride1Rob
11-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by f1502nv
how long has it been since you cleaned it last? if you havent ever cleaned it how old it the bike? im just tring to figure out how long we should go before we pull the tank and clean for maintenance.

Read the post... This screen was clean every 3-4 oil changes. I've had my bike almost 3 yrs and the 1st time that I cleaned it was probably 7-8 months after I got it. It had grass covering the screen like the gunk you see now. I got rid of that stock filter and got a K&N and that solved that problem. I'd still have minimal aluminum and metal chips though. The bike ran for 2yrs 6 months and then I rebuilt it...

beastlyone
11-04-2006, 07:20 PM
how do you locate the screen to clean it? this makes me want to check mine now haha

SRH
11-05-2006, 07:03 AM
christ im going on my 4 th season and never touched mine, guess i will do it before i hit up some practices this winter

YFZ450 11x
11-05-2006, 08:35 AM
I dont even know why its there??? I cut mine right out over a year ago and havent had a problem. The bike already has an oil filter!!!

Ride1Rob
11-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Actually, I'd rather have that as extra protection and check it every couple of oil changes. If not for the screen this mess would have been cycling through my motor.

BSTURDIVANT
11-06-2006, 07:21 PM
The screen is to stop junk from ruining your oil pump! It's the only protection for the suction side of pump! The oil filter catches any small particles before entering the engine oil system! Do not remove the screen! clean every 40hrs of operation at minimum!

YFZ450 11x
11-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Im not worried I change my oil once a week. It comes out the same color it goes in :D

Ride1Rob
11-08-2006, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by YFZ450 11x
Im not worried I change my oil once a week. It comes out the same color it goes in :D

You could change it everyday... that still wouldn't stop whatever trash that's in there from cycling through your motor when you're riding/racing. Hopefully none of your bearings or anything go bad :eek2:

Builder
12-15-2006, 05:57 PM
Hey thanks for the info I am a honda tech working for velocity cycles and only rarely see the yfz but now I know to look at that to. Theres some stuff about the 450r that most dealerss don't check and even honda doesn't really say anything about.

05yfz450
12-16-2006, 08:17 AM
should we cut out that screen? or should we leave it in.ijust did my first oil change on my new 05.and will check this on my next oil change.and i will remove it if it will not hurt my motor.

Ride1Rob
12-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by 05yfz450
should we cut out that screen? or should we leave it in.ijust did my first oil change on my new 05.and will check this on my next oil change.and i will remove it if it will not hurt my motor.

I'm not moving mine! That gunk you see in the screen would have been in my motor if not for that screen. Main thing is to check it.

06yfz450mxer
12-17-2006, 06:08 AM
I'm a little worried about mine now I have an 06 model and haven't checked it once yikes right. I am gonna cehck it before I ride it again. My question is how hard is it to get at? Can I do it with my oil tank still in the quad or do I have to remove it? Thanks for the info.

Chris

Builder
12-17-2006, 04:13 PM
I would leave it in. If you remove the screen that stuff will go threw your oil pump and could damage it. Sure the oil filter will catch it but that oil filter will clog up quicker than that screen will.

Toadz400
08-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Mods, this thread should be made a sticky. Every YFZ owner should be aware of this screen and to make sure to check it and clean it every few oil changes, if not every oil change.

Ted J
08-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Where is that located on the quad? I want to check mine but don't know where it's at.

Thanks!

coryatver
08-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Builder
Hey thanks for the info I am a honda tech working for velocity cycles and only rarely see the yfz but now I know to look at that to. Theres some stuff about the 450r that most dealerss don't check and even honda doesn't really say anything about.

what stuff Im interested

Toadz400
08-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Ted J
Where is that located on the quad? I want to check mine but don't know where it's at.

Thanks!

It's towards the bottom of your oil tank facing towards the engine. Pull that line out and the end of it has that screen on it.

'Builder', what things do the dealers and Honda not check/talk about?

Ted J
08-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
It's towards the bottom of your oil tank facing towards the engine. Pull that line out and the end of it has that screen on it.

Sweet, thank you sir!

harescrambles
08-19-2007, 02:11 PM
This is old news but here is what mine looked like on the 05, i have just bought a 07 that ill be checking.

motomanmike
08-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Ok guys, many of you in your posts have said its grass on the screen. Its clutch fibers, small pieces of the clutch discs that sheer off. Also you are going to have the "gunk" you had after assembly. Its lint off of all the shop rags you use when wiping everything down before assembly. Whatever you do don't remove this screen. It is to protect the oil pump, and why would you want to? There are three parts of the yfz motor that screen oil, one is the screen in question in the tank, the second is in the botttom of the cases and seldomly gets anything on it, and of course the third is the oil filter. No matter how much you change your oil, you will have some metal filings in the engine. They wear during use, its that simple. Change your oil everytime you have a race or long practice and it will significantly extend engine life. Usually the first part affected by neglect is the cylinder heads and they aren't cheap to replace on these quads.

Piker450
08-21-2007, 08:52 AM
not everyone should have to worry about this, dude you must not break your stuff in right because that is not right, i had an 05 ran in a bunch of xc races checked that screen and nothing like that came out, just remember break in easy they will last longer, and change oil and filter after every race, or every other ride, oh ya dont use quaker state, bad stuff

Ride1Rob
08-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by motomanmike
Ok guys, many of you in your posts have said its grass on the screen. Its clutch fibers, small pieces of the clutch discs that sheer off. Also you are going to have the "gunk" you had after assembly. Its lint off of all the shop rags you use when wiping everything down before assembly. Whatever you do don't remove this screen. It is to protect the oil pump, and why would you want to? There are three parts of the yfz motor that screen oil, one is the screen in question in the tank, the second is in the botttom of the cases and seldomly gets anything on it, and of course the third is the oil filter. No matter how much you change your oil, you will have some metal filings in the engine. They wear during use, its that simple. Change your oil everytime you have a race or long practice and it will significantly extend engine life. Usually the first part affected by neglect is the cylinder heads and they aren't cheap to replace on these quads.

First off, I know what was on my screen. I know the difference between grass and lint. Clutch fibers don't look like grass. I rode in alot of grassy conditions at times and I was running the stock foam filter when I found this. Wen to the K&N and never found grass again.

Originally posted by Piker450
not everyone should have to worry about this, dude you must not break your stuff in right because that is not right, i had an 05 ran in a bunch of xc races checked that screen and nothing like that came out, just remember break in easy they will last longer, and change oil and filter after every race, or every other ride, oh ya dont use quaker state, bad stuff

As far as breaking in my bike right. I got 2 1/2 years off of my motor when it was stock and almost 500hrs before the piston finally cracked. The gunk you see (As stated in my post) was after a rebuild. Loctite and sealant in between the cases. And as far as breaking it in easy (LOL). I've seen guys pamper their bikes for weeks and have the motor go in less than a year. I'm currently almost a year on a race motor with a breakin of about 20mins of heat cycling and then riding it like I stole it ;)

speedfreaksguy
08-22-2007, 08:12 AM
I learnes this the hard way. 10 minutes after a rebuild and...
http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/3826/2004042600011lx0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
After pulling it all back apart, I find no oil is returning to the motor from the oil tank. I pulled the oil line and found that screen to be completely clogged.

Ted J
08-22-2007, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by speedfreaksguy
I learnes this the hard way. 10 minutes after a rebuild and...
http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/3826/2004042600011lx0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
After pulling it all back apart, I find no oil is returning to the motor from the oil tank. I pulled the oil line and found that screen to be completely clogged.

Dude, that sucks! I just freshened up the top end on my YFZ after replacing the head gasket and before putting oil in it and firing it up for the first time I checked that screen. I got lucky and there wasn't much on it but I'm glad I checked it now.

Thanks to the people on the forum here for pointing that out!

Ted J
08-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Hey speedfreaksguy, did the middle intake valve touch the piston? It looks like it maybe did.

250r4life
01-13-2008, 12:41 AM
i finally checked mine today... i've had my bike 14 months, probably have a good 40 days worth of dune riding on it, not to mention what i've doen around the phoenix desert and motorcross tracks and what not...

it wasnt bad at all... there were a couple metal shavings, but hardly any and other than that it looked great...

im glad i checked though, and i would reccomend it, as if it is clogged the damages will be major...

xrxmxcx
01-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
First off, I know what was on my screen. I know the difference between grass and lint. Clutch fibers don't look like grass. I rode in alot of grassy conditions at times and I was running the stock foam filter when I found this. Wen to the K&N and never found grass again.

After reading this i dont really understand your reasoning behind thinking that pieaces of grass can end up in your oil filter screen after going through your filter.
So a piece of grass gets past your airfilter? How that happens is a mystery to me, i always check all clamps and hoses prior to riding, but anyways... The piece of grass gets sucked into the carb, and through the valves into the combustion chamber. Your saying that when that happens the piece of grass it gonna make it down past the rings and into the lower end? I dont think so, it will get blown out the exhaust ports probably and never to be seen again, if it wasnt burned up on the combustion stroke. The only way that you can actually get "grass" in your oil is a breather line or the idea that it actually is clutch plate fibers.

just my .02

yfzrider45
01-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Can somebody please explain where this screen is and how easy or hard it is to get at?....i'm new to yfz n i'm only good at chassis work n all that......I'd really appreciate the help!! thanks

Toadz400
01-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider45
Can somebody please explain where this screen is and how easy or hard it is to get at?....i'm new to yfz n i'm only good at chassis work n all that......I'd really appreciate the help!! thanks

It's pretty straight forward and easy. The only thing I found difficult was I had to remove the oil tank and the oil line leading into the tank because of how it's positioned. At least I think I did, I remember it being somewhat a PITA but it was a long time ago. It's definitely worth the time to take it out and make sure it's clean. You'll save yourself a lot of time and money in the long run.

yfzrider45
01-18-2008, 07:16 PM
If i pull it will oil start flowin out lol, i have a full tank....

ktmbill
01-18-2008, 07:38 PM
If you are cleaning the screen not all the stuffs on the screen, and you should take the oil tank out and clean it and the oil lines to the motor.
Note if you do not change the cam chain it will eat the plastic guides that will plug up the screen & oil lines. I have rebuild 16 YFZ 450 motors and the cam chain makes a mess.
their is a screen in the motor as the pick up tube but you have to spilt the cases, to help clean that screen spray carb cleaner in the drain plug in a upward spray.

Toadz400
01-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by yfzrider45
If i pull it will oil start flowin out lol, i have a full tank....

You will need to drain your tank. Do this during your next oil change.

Originally posted by ktmbill
If you are cleaning the screen not all the stuffs on the screen, and you should take the oil tank out and clean it and the oil lines to the motor.
Note if you do not change the cam chain it will eat the plastic guides that will plug up the screen & oil lines. I have rebuild 16 YFZ 450 motors and the cam chain makes a mess.
their is a screen in the motor as the pick up tube but you have to spilt the cases, to help clean that screen spray carb cleaner in the drain plug in a upward spray.

Does this happen after a certain amount of hours or abuse on an engine? I've had my head off several times when messing around with the cam mod (I think I can do it in my sleep now) and I've never noticed any abnormal wear in the plastic guides. I have no idea how many hours I have on my engine but it's quite a few and it's still running strong. Valves are still in spec, never had to shim them!

ktmbill
01-19-2008, 10:42 AM
here is some pics of bad guide.
We replace the chain at every rebuild at 20 hrs.
THe will kink up and you can see it unless you take it out.
Sorry did not have a bad chain tossed them away.
All so you can take the mag side cover off and look in your fly wheel and if it has black pieces in it

ktmbill
01-19-2008, 10:44 AM
pic 2

ktmbill
01-19-2008, 10:46 AM
pic 3

Note the guide lips on the sides are gone

Toadz400
01-19-2008, 07:11 PM
That's good to know. If I ever rebuild the YFZ I'll definitely take a look at that and replace the chain and guide. I'm hoping I'll get a long life out of my YFZ as it's given me no trouble yet. *knock on wood*

Ride1Rob
01-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by xrxmxcx
After reading this i dont really understand your reasoning behind thinking that pieaces of grass can end up in your oil filter screen after going through your filter.
So a piece of grass gets past your airfilter? How that happens is a mystery to me, i always check all clamps and hoses prior to riding, but anyways... The piece of grass gets sucked into the carb, and through the valves into the combustion chamber. Your saying that when that happens the piece of grass it gonna make it down past the rings and into the lower end? I dont think so, it will get blown out the exhaust ports probably and never to be seen again, if it wasnt burned up on the combustion stroke. The only way that you can actually get "grass" in your oil is a breather line or the idea that it actually is clutch plate fibers.

just my .02

Maybe you're correct on the way it got in, but it was on my oil screen. On more than one occasion I found grass clippings in my stock filter as it was needling through the filter. That's why I figured it got in through there.

I also never figured out why they didn't make this a sticky :ermm: . There are many that didn't know about the screen until they saw this thread. Hell, there are dealerships mechanics that don't know about this screen. Definitely good preventative maintnance.

JR3
03-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Yes the screen on the line from the oil tank can get clogged with stuff heres a pic of what mine looked like awhile ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/250ex3/101_5652.jpg

Ryan
03-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Where any of these issues corrected in the newer models? I just bought a 08 and am pretty curious about it. More so the cam guide and chain than anything. Cleaning that screen seems like an easy job.

Good thread!

Ride1Rob
04-01-2008, 04:16 PM
It's not hard. It's just a b!tch trying to get to it (lol).

yfzrider310
04-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Someone should post some pics of where exactly the oil line screen is. Maybe?

#17YFZRACER
04-02-2008, 05:13 PM
i dont have a pic right now but i can. the line that goes to the bottom of the oil tank is the one with the screen. you will need to stand the quad on its @$$ and take the line out of the tank. thats the easiest way to get to it besides taking off the tank.

yfzrider310
04-02-2008, 07:03 PM
so is it easier to take off the line from were it hooks up to the cases or where it hooks up to the oil tank?

Mr331
04-06-2008, 02:45 PM
If there is a measureable amount of stuff on that screen, be worried. Under normal wear you will get a piece here and there but normal is not to have the screen covered. If my screen is covered like that (never has) my motor is coming out and the cases are getting split. Pulling the screen is a good idea and it will improve oil flow but the real issue is seing what and how much is on there.

#17YFZRACER
04-06-2008, 05:52 PM
so is it easier to take off the line from were it hooks up to the cases or where it hooks up to the oil tank?

oil tank, you dont need to take it off the motor.

06YFZ450SE
04-07-2008, 02:48 PM
I have had my YFZ450 from sept 06 and I have never looked at this screen. I change my oil/oil filter every 10 hours and I clean my UNI after 2 rides. I just did an oil change so Iam gonna wait till I do another oil change to it. I have about 70-75 hours on my quad give or take some. So what do I clean the screen with. Thanks

Simon MX49
04-07-2008, 03:10 PM
I dunno about the rest of you, but I've had mine since March 22 of 05 and I was completely unaware until about 5 minutes ago there was even a filter in there? lol.

Guess I better check it :eek2:

JR3
04-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by 06YFZ450SE
I have had my YFZ450 from sept 06 and I have never looked at this screen. I change my oil/oil filter every 10 hours and I clean my UNI after 2 rides. I just did an oil change so Iam gonna wait till I do another oil change to it. I have about 70-75 hours on my quad give or take some. So what do I clean the screen with. Thanks

just use carb cleaner opr brakleen wipe it off and the cleaner will evaporate off

#17YFZRACER
04-09-2008, 07:15 PM
dont use an air compressor to blow it off because you will just blow all that crap into your filter and into the oil line.

04-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by YFZ450 11x
I dont even know why its there??? I cut mine right out over a year ago and havent had a problem. The bike already has an oil filter!!!

yeah yamaha spent time an money putting it in for you to cut out :rolleyes: why u think its there for looks?

gotboostido
05-04-2008, 09:30 PM
whats up, well after reading this tread. i wanted to check my screen. just a little info first. my bike is an 07 yfz450 ballance se. the bike is also stock., and isnt raced. with about 30 hours on it and maybe 5 oil changes. there wasnt a single speck on it, i mean not a thing. i was kinda mad for doing this check. but at least i got peace of mind now, with this bike. later:D

ready4oryou2
06-17-2008, 03:57 PM
After I read this I checked mine and I've had my yfz since end of November of 05. Nothing on it at all. I had an insane amount of time on mine. In my opinion its a waste of time to check it. To each is own.

ohsobad_chevy
06-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by ready4oryou2
After I read this I checked mine and I've had my yfz since end of November of 05. Nothing on it at all. I had an insane amount of time on mine. In my opinion its a waste of time to check it. To each is own.

Preventative measures are NEVER a waste of time......as opinionated as your post was meant, you need to appreciate people like Rob that try to help fellow riders. Next time keep your negative comments to yourself, please. :ermm:

JimmyHoffa
06-17-2008, 04:09 PM
agreed. '06 with 40 hours and the JT oil fix. 3rd oil change showed minor red gasked shavings on screen, and a few peices of clutch fiber. NOT a waste of time for me. All it takes is a few people with buildup to make a case for inspection. We have that, and on top of the proof, it only takes 5 minutes to check. Someone needs to brush up on thier wrenching skills. I'm sure you've wasted 5 minutes of your life before and not been too angry about it.

Tico-Tampa
06-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Thank's Rob for the info, will check it out on my quads and if there is something I'll post the pics! I hope there is nothing but is its worth to try !!!

Ride1Rob
06-17-2008, 09:55 PM
No problem guys. I understand that everyone won't appreciate someone trying to help them ;) . What's good on one bike may be a disaster waiting to happen on another. Like stated before, It's called preventative maintnance. I would say mine looked like that after the rebuild because it wasn't as clean built like coming from the factory.

Thumper1220
06-25-2008, 02:05 AM
Ok ok...old news I know but I just remembered. Have 06 when it was new I checked this screen as well as replaced the oil filter. After about 4-5 hours of riding there was a little RTV and some aluminum shavings on the screen....a few more shavings than I would have liked but......not one spec of metal in the oil filter anywhere.....:eek2: So...if you remove the screen you have nothing to stop all that crap from circulating through your oiling system!!!!

(would be lucky to last a season without that screen!!)

so leave it...obviously it is there for a reason. :eek2:

and if you cut yours off and it's still running I would go buy a new oil line in a hurry:devil:

yfzrider310
08-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Ok I'm sorry but I am retarded. I can't find this screen anywhere.:ermm: Is it the one that goes to the right side of the engine case or the left side of the engine case. Also were do disconnect the line to get the screen out.

ohsobad_chevy
08-12-2008, 02:39 PM
The screen is on the line coming out of the bottom of the oil tank. Just pull that line loose and you will see it.

yfzrider310
08-12-2008, 02:40 PM
yea I think I found it but that top allen bolt is a ***** to get at.

tencentsshy
08-12-2008, 09:07 PM
My screen was on the bottom of the oil tank held in by two allen head bolts. Is there a difference between years? Mines an 04'.

ready4oryou2
08-17-2008, 08:38 PM
So maybe I came across a little hard the first time I posted in here. Sorry anyhow I checked it again even after the rebuild and still nothing. Just wondering what kind of stuff you ride your quad threw cuz I've been threw some s**t examples like swamps and water holes marsh grass and mine don't look like any of them posted. Should I be worried its so clean?

400grl
11-04-2008, 07:23 AM
I've only seen a screen with junk on it like that after a motor had blown up and there were metal pieces everywhere.....seriously.....how the h*ll do you get GRASS in your oil???

ohsobad_chevy
11-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
I've only seen a screen with junk on it like that after a motor had blown up and there were metal pieces everywhere.....seriously.....how the h*ll do you get GRASS in your oil???

I was kinda wondering the same.....how did grass get in your oil??

gojufist
11-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Like stated in my post, the bikes fresh off of a rebuild. That's where all the gunk from the loctite is from. The grass... I haven't had that problem since I got rid of my stock filter. Once I went with my K&N it solved that problem... til I checked it this time. Recently I've had a friend of mine whose bike was having motor problems due to lack of oil. I kept asking the guy at the shop to check that screen and I don't think he ever did. Grass in oil through air filter? Or do u mean crankcase vent? I would think it would have gone out exhaust.

Ride1Rob
11-07-2008, 07:18 PM
That is weird and I don't think it could have come in through the airfilter and make it's way past the piston and heat. It looked like a couple strands of grass but could have been cloth buildup or something :ermm:

project R
05-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Bump! going to check this out on mine the next oil change.

Dansc90
08-08-2009, 09:07 PM
This is definatly something ppl should know about, Im checking mine the next oil change couse most ppl notice it after they blow there quads up, and i'v blown mine up twice, so BUMP.

Dansc90
08-08-2009, 09:09 PM
also for those of you having trouble finding it heres a good pic of the location. Its # 24, goes in the bottom front of the tank.

BrettOaktree
08-08-2009, 11:18 PM
hey rob im not tryin to sound like a creep or anything, but ur pretty much a forum god. your posts are rlly helpful to say the least

Ride1Rob
08-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Definitely not a GOD! If I were then I'd be RICH! And all the good people in the world would be rich too. And no kids would have to suffer, and all land would be open to ride quads/dirtibikes/etc... on. LOL Seriously though, I just try to help people out from my findings and my mishaps on dealing with the YFZ. There are others that give the same helpful advice just the same. That's what makes this forum a great place to find information ;) .

yfzrider310
08-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Checked mine and its been 3 years. Not sure if previous owner checked though. It was clean only a few small pieces but not as bad as most.

Pappy
11-20-2009, 10:38 AM
First time I have ever been made aware of the request.

The Mods dont read every thread, a simple pm to me on day 1 would have had this a sticky.

Toadz400
11-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
First time I have ever been made aware of the request.

The Mods dont read every thread, a simple pm to me on day 1 would have had this a sticky.

I thought I had PM'ed you a few years back about it and then recently I Pm'ed the Administrator hoping to get some attention.

Either way, thanks a ton Pappy!

yamaha_maniack
11-27-2009, 04:48 PM
how can i remove and clean my oil pump filter screen? i am going to check mine after my next ride because after my next ride i will be getting a maintenance checkup and oil change, etc.. because i am just finishing going through the break-in hours...
thanks!

Toadz400
11-28-2009, 12:06 PM

yamaha_maniack
11-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Oh sorry I didn't see that.. Ha so do I just clean it off with water, or fuel or what?
And I am assuming that I need to drain the oil before I pull it, correct?
Thanks

Toadz400
11-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by yamaha_maniack
Oh sorry I didn't see that.. Ha so do I just clean it off with water, or fuel or what?
And I am assuming that I need to drain the oil before I pull it, correct?
Thanks

I used soapy water to clean it then let it dry completely before putting it back on. I check it every couple oil changes just to be on the safe side, usually there isn't much on it. Yes, you need to drain the oil beforehand and that is why it is best to do this when you change your oil.

yamaha_maniack
11-30-2009, 07:10 AM
ha alright thanks..
That is exactly what i needed to know!
Thanks for the great post too by the way.
I will be doing this when i change my oil next time.
Thanks again!

yamaha_maniack
12-01-2009, 06:30 PM
i got another question guys.. sorry.
but i was just wondering, is this part in a different place on the new R's? or do the new R's even have these?
Thanks!

Toadz400
12-01-2009, 08:44 PM
i got another question guys.. sorry.
but i was just wondering, is this part in a different place on the new R's? or do the new R's even have these?
Thanks!

I'm not sure, but because they did away with the oil tank it will not be in the same spot.

yamaha_maniack
12-01-2009, 10:02 PM
well what i can notice is that there is a tube going in on the other side of the engine next to the cover for the oil filter. i think it is for the coolant, but i could be wrong. do the new ones even have one of those oil pump screens on them like yours? i cant tell for sure, but i am trying to figure it out.. i dont see how it couldnt.

i can post pics tomorrow or sometime this week if you would like.

Thanks guys

Toadz400
12-01-2009, 10:04 PM
well what i can notice is that there is a tube going in on the other side of the engine next to the cover for the oil filter. i think it is for the coolant, but i could be wrong. do the new ones even have one of those oil pump screens on them like yours? i cant tell for sure, but i am trying to figure it out.. i dont see how it couldnt.

i can post pics tomorrow or sometime this week if you would like.

Thanks guys

I'm not familiar at all with the YFZ450R, so everything is a guess from me. I would hope that the oil pump would have a screen.

Edit: I just checked out an engine schematic for the 2009 YZ450F (Bike Bandit doesn't have the '09 450R up) and it looks like there is an oil strainer. Looks like it's right inside the case where the oil line hooks up to. #16 is the oil strainer (oil screen).

http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/schematics/Yamaha/YA0409128022.gif

yamaha_maniack
12-01-2009, 10:14 PM
ha alright.. i am just a little confused about that pic, i am not sure if what i am thinking is the screen really is the screen. could you tell me what number the screen is that you are thinking it is please?

also, where do you get those exploded views from? i would like to know for future reference..

Thanks man, i really appreciate the extra effort to help me out!

Toadz400
12-01-2009, 11:28 PM
ha alright.. i am just a little confused about that pic, i am not sure if what i am thinking is the screen really is the screen. could you tell me what number the screen is that you are thinking it is please?

also, where do you get those exploded views from? i would like to know for future reference..

Thanks man, i really appreciate the extra effort to help me out!

In my post I said #16 is the oil strainer (oil screen). I got it from Bike Bandit (http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts) . Find the bike/ATV you're looking for and they have all the diagrams for parts along with part numbers.

Ride1Rob
12-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Looks like they did away with the other screen on ours.

yamaha_maniack
12-02-2009, 03:15 PM
gosh.... i feel like an IDIOT now.. haha i cant believe i didnt see that. sorry.

Thats all i need to know though, thanks a bunch! i am going to drain my oil hopefully today. i will try to find that screen

thanks again man

Toadz400
12-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Looks like they did away with the other screen on ours.

They didn't exactly get rid of it, it's just in a different location now and is shaped differently because of the lack of an external oil tank. It still performs the same function.

Plainbroke
01-11-2010, 09:30 PM
This thread is so trashed it is almost useless now.

Need to ask a mod nicely to clean up all the bumps and repeats of the exact same question.. had to read for half an hour to get to the answer..

Toadz400
02-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Plainbroke
This thread is so trashed it is almost useless now.

Need to ask a mod nicely to clean up all the bumps and repeats of the exact same question.. had to read for half an hour to get to the answer..

That's the unfortunate part about a public forum. What was your question?

Rohr397
12-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Definitely not a GOD! If I were then I'd be RICH! And all the good people in the world would be rich too. And no kids would have to suffer, and all land would be open to ride quads/dirtibikes/etc... on. LOL Seriously though, I just try to help people out from my findings and my mishaps on dealing with the YFZ. There are others that give the same helpful advice just the same. That's what makes this forum a great place to find information ;) .

Haha I am pretty sure it's just the Yfz forum. When I had my Trx450r everyone there bashed me if I didn't agree with them.

Anyways I just traded off the 04 Honda for an 04 Yfz that I'm basically saving from sure death. Poor thing has been ridden at gravel pits and the previous owner attempted a few rock climbs. It's also been jumped down the largest dune in Oregon (Competition in Florence). It's got the K&N, 13:1 piston and Dr.D. I'm really glad I saw this post because I am gonna do my oil before I go for my first ride and I can almost guarantee
that it's gonna be loaded with junk.

Also to everyone out their with older Yfz's, how important do you think the oil mod is? I have had about half of the people say it's a must have and the others say they've raced the crud out of their Yfz and never had it blow up since the day they got it. I don't want to do it unless it's really necessary but I'll probably freshen up the top end (new piston) after a season or two. Thanks for all the helpful posts everyone.

trx400exrider14
08-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Are you able to get an aftermarket one to prevent that?

ThePhantomRider
07-19-2015, 02:55 AM
When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.
He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.
He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.
He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.
He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.
He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.
He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.
He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.
He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.
He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.
He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.
He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil power.
He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:
For Quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:
For protecting them, by a mock Trial, from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:
For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:
For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:
For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury:
For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences
For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies:
For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:
For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.
He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.
He has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.
He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.
He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.
He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our Brittish brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.