PDA

View Full Version : Woods Racing Mod's

videofool666
11-03-2006, 02:53 PM
(mommy and daddy are not around to buy me a brand new 450 no offense if you own one and you bought it yourself) so The Next XC season i will be racing a z-400 in District 5, and i was wondering what you guys run for woods racing....your whole setup...some pictures perhaps....forgot to mention i don't want to hear about big bore kits because i don't believe that just because its bigger its better in the woods its the rider

Defiant1585
11-03-2006, 03:11 PM
aftermarket suspension , pipe, gear it down a little, steering stablizer , and some new rubbers if i could do it all over again i would have left my motor stock and put all my money into suspension

4TraxRider
11-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Suspension and decent tires. Make sure everything you have is comfortable, you have to be on it for a while.

DVX440
11-03-2006, 06:54 PM
I have Houser +1 long travel arms, PEP quadrate shocks, GPR steering stabilizer, Houser +2 stem, memory foam underneath a gripper seat cover, gripper panels on the sides of the plastic, stock swinger with long travel linkage and a PEP zps shock.... and so forth....
you dont really need an extravegant motor, so long as it has grunt. Focus your attention towards suspension and handling...

dwcrash
11-03-2006, 07:23 PM
I like the 13t front sprocket also. Alot more bottom end for little money!

TampaBoy813
11-04-2006, 04:37 AM
LT is going to make the world of differance + stabilizer, Razer 2's, flex bars,...any thing thats going to keep you from getting fatiged from riding...fast is nothing with out lasting the race!

IrideMHSC
11-06-2006, 06:46 AM
Check my Signature below .....

Yea its a big bore... and it does help torque through corners...

05Z400rdr
11-06-2006, 04:27 PM
I personally have never raced XC...but my cousins did. I know that they had Burgard +1 A-arms and ran 22'' tires for ALL 4 tires. plus skidplates would be helpfull;)

KILLSWITCHngage
11-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Nerf bars with the big pegs help me. And I always thought shocks and steering dampners where a waste of money, but if you wana race faster longer they are worth it.

montycarlo
11-12-2006, 08:53 AM
I'm right there with ya on the pocketbook. 3 kids and a mortgage you'll have that.

First off- shocks. I got mine revalved by C&D. Check my post in this thread and have a look at my dandy pics. Z400 shock thread (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=264872)

You need nerf bars, tires, & shocks to race XC. A beefy front bumper is helpful because "it happens." I recommend PRM Summit style. I've been racing XC 2 years on a stock motor. I've been getting top 5 holeshots without so much as an air filter or pipe. I'm gonna do that this winter because I'm starting to get tired of being the only one without a pipe! The pipe will probably be helpful as I don't think a lot of other racers can hear me coming behind them. You should see the look on their face when they look back at a corner and I've snuck up on their bumper!

I recommend Pro Armor nerfs. The only complaint I've got is the built in heel guard tends to hold a lot of mud. Get something strong - you'll be needing your nerfs to pivot on trees for tight corners.

I've been running Razr2's without any complaints except cost. I'm going to look for a cheaper tire for next year just because of money. 6 ply though. Don't need no flats!

Some people run a rear skid, some people don't. Make sure you get one with a deep valley in between the rotor & sprocket. I had a UM skid that was straight across between there and I got stuck on everything and said a lot of cuss words. Ruined 2 races for me. PRM nowadays.