PDA

View Full Version : Newbie...

blown331
11-02-2006, 03:33 PM
I just picked up an 03 400 ex. My buddy put maybe 10 hours on it putting around so its like brand new.

anyhow, ive done all the routine maintenance and have a question...

I've seen larger oil reservoirs however I haven't seen anyone with a larger oil cooler itself. I'm a fan of B&M coolers in the automotive industry and they have a few units which are a bit bigger than the factory 400 cooler. I was wondering if the larger capacity of the cooler itself would pose any problem for the oil pump system? Is it capable of handling this?

If so, im going bigger reservoir + bigger cooler and should have no problem running 91 in the heat and it should also let the stock motor live a lot longer

any thoughts?

Eviltanker
11-02-2006, 03:42 PM
If you are stock you really shouldn't need a bigger cooler. If you want to though your oil pump will work fine.

NacsMXer
11-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Welcome.. :)

You should be fine running a larger automotive tranny cooler on it. I'm running a Desert Toyz Supercooler on mine which is about 3X larger than the stock oil cooler.

The only tricky thing you will have to figure out is your new oil capacity. Using a larger oil cooler and reservoir along with possible longer lines is going to require a larger volume of oil. My kit gave instructions to scribe a new "UPPER" line on my dipstick about 1/4" higher than the stock "UPPER" mark for example..

krt400ex
11-02-2006, 04:35 PM
welcome to the sight...it will not pose any probs whatsoever to run a larger oil cooler and tank. it will make the machine run cooler

blown331
11-02-2006, 04:38 PM
I figured if I go with the new cooler, fill it.. find out its capacity add the full 2 quarts (1.95) of oil you normally put in fire it up cycle for a second then add the remainder of the capacity of the oil cooler....

I'm sure that method would work... I know if my oil temp in my car gets too hot it robs power... im just trying to keep things cool and reliable

any recommended aftermarket oil reservoirs as well?

Eviltanker
11-02-2006, 05:29 PM
UM is decent

Kaleigh
11-02-2006, 05:58 PM
would I be able to put a second stock oil cooler..

blown331
11-02-2006, 06:27 PM
I don't see why that would be a problem.. here is the cooler i'm looking at

no idea why the links aren't working

Kaleigh
11-02-2006, 06:41 PM
i clicked on the link but it said there is no item there.. on both links..