PDA

View Full Version : 07 450r wont run.....

jatizasy
11-02-2006, 01:59 PM
What's up you all... I am new to the four wheeling game and this forum. I grew up on dirt bikes before atvs were made... but I rode a banshee and loved it... Just trying to give you some history. My problem is I loved the banshee, still got it, may even sell it, but I needed a four stroke so I could ride my wife with me. I bought a 2007 electric start 450r and a 250 ex for my wife last weekend. The 250 is execlent. My problem is with the 450r. The bike never has gotten where it will take fuel. I know it is new but I rode it for 6 hours in the mountains and I followed proper break in procedures. It will die if you just touch the fuel. It starts right back up and will idle fine. It also runs out very well unless you just barley touch the fuel switch. I took it back to honda and they saw what it was doing but could not fix it that day. So I left it. I thought it would be a air fuel mixture problem or maybe some drugs in the carb from the factory. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with a new one.. Thanks in advane for your time..

mymastifftucker
11-02-2006, 02:25 PM
I have heard a lot of people with this problem, and the common fix seems to be changing the leak jet. My 07' does the same thing but not as severe as yours. If I understand the stock leak jet is a 70 or so, and you should change it to a 42 or 50. I would like to see the replies on this so I can fix mine also!! I guess I got caught up in the full throttle fun and let the off idle bog go!!

11-02-2006, 02:34 PM
these bike like the throttle...lowering the leak jet to a 45 or so will help with a throttle bog, but that does not sound like what you are experiencing

mymastifftucker
11-02-2006, 02:40 PM
He said it runs out fine, just doesnt want to run if you just touch the throttle. Sounds like an off idle bog to me.

BSTURDIVANT
11-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Could be the throttle overridew switch!

jatizasy
11-03-2006, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I am suppose to call honda today after 1:00pm to see what they found out. So far they just dont seem to have a clue.
It is true that in half or full throttle position the bike runs great. but you can not just barley touch the throttle because it will quit. I bet I started it no less than 50 times Sunday. No doubt I will wear my starter out if they cannot fix it. I would have worked on it myself but I did not want to void my warranty.

I also am going to change my front sprocket to a 12 tooth because of the high end in first gear. The way I ride when my family goes makes it extremely hard to keep up with their pace without me riding the clutch all day.. Any thoughts. Remember I ride in the mountains of Southeast Ky. so most of the time I can never get out of second or third gear...

jatizasy
11-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Honda tells me that it has to have a ngk plug and they have adjusted the carb. I will let you guys know what the outcome is after I pick it up tomorrow and ride it some.. Thanks for you help thus far...

Jonas
11-04-2006, 07:41 PM
I didn't understand what you were describing as the problem. You rode it six hours but if you touch the throttle it will die. Can you explain again?

md1985250r
11-05-2006, 05:13 AM
the idle is set low from the factory. try bumping the idle speed up just a touch and see if it helps.

jatizasy
11-06-2006, 06:10 AM
Just to let you guys know.... I picked up my bike from Honda and rode it from daylight to dark all weekend. It runs great.. The quitting is fixed.. My dealer told me that they had to call Honda to enquire if their was any problems with the 07. To make a long story short... Honda replaced the plug, did the recall on the throttle arm and had to readjust my carb.. They said the throttle arm was bad on mine so I guess all you guys putting that recall off better go and fix it... Like I said it ran great all weekend cold and hot starts.

Also to better let you know what the problem was.. When I brought it home it took forever to get it to run.. ( this was the day I bought it) I figured it would clear up with some ridding time. I also bought a new 250 ex that day. It ran perfect after I got it warmed up. I have had no problems with it.. So anyway I rode it on a ride the next day with my friends thinking it would clear up.. What would happen was this. The bike would idle and it would run fine at half or full throttle but if you did not double punch the throttle fast it would quit. if the bike was at and idle and you just tapped the throttle it would quit.. I bet I started the bike over fiftey times that day. I took it to Honda on Monday and they saw what it was doing but said they had never seen one do that. Of course they asked me if I had sunk it in a mud hole and all of those other stupid questions. But in the end it is now fixed and I am once again happy with Honda. Actually this is the only problem I have ever had with a Honda in my past 26 years of ridding../

Now the best part... Of course all of my friends want to see what the 450r would do, being I had the first one in my group..

So I lined up beside a 660 raptor, slight mods done on it, a 650 bombardia, factory settins, and a banshee with pipes only, and a 450r motorcycle..

We ran from a dead stop to about 600 or 700 feet on a dirt road. No official track just out where all of us go to ride and drag..

I ran each bike at leat four times.. Here are my results...

I beat the 660 by about 2 bike lengths but if the run was any longer he would have passed me because I was in fifth gear topped out and he was beginning to gain...

I beat the banshee by 1 bike length.

I beat the 650 bomb.. by 1 bike length.. This bike would have beaten me also if the run was any longer..

I out run all of them on take off. The bomb and the raptor have more low end power but they are hard to control from a dead start if you take off in first gear. If they take off in second and me in firsrt the bomb beat me but if I take off in second as well I beat the bomb, barley. All of these bikes are pretty much the same I believe it just comes down to choice of the rider for trail riding and side racing as we do.

Oh yeah, I did not have a chance against the 450r motorcycle... We were side by side until he hit fourth gear. Then he just walked off and left me..

Thanks guys for all your help. I still love my 450r. The only mod I am going to make is to drop one tooth on the front so I can get through the rough mountains a little eaiser. It is hard to ride with a lot of bike through the mountains is yours is in first and the rest are in second and third just to stay out of your way. I cant get in the front because I go to fast ... Ha Ha...