PDA

View Full Version : removing the decompression mech.

Selland74
11-02-2006, 10:44 AM
im getting ready to put in a hotcams stg 1 this weekend. Ive read that most people dont put the decompression mechanism back on the aftermarket cams. does this make it harder to start? if so is it possible to reuse it on a hotcam? i have a press so i could do it, but if it makes no difference then i wont. thanks

krt400ex
11-02-2006, 11:30 AM
it won't make a difference, and i don't think u can put it on the hotcams anyway. just leave it on the stiocker. it is easier and less time comsuming

Selland74
11-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
it won't make a difference, and i don't think u can put it on the hotcams anyway. just leave it on the stiocker. it is easier and less time comsuming

thats what i figured. you also have to remove the rest of the mechnism on the valve cover right?

GPracer2500
11-02-2006, 11:36 AM
I believe you can put it on a Hotcams cam. But like krt400ex said, don't bother. The EX's starting system is so robust you'll never know the difference.

krt400ex
11-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Selland74
thats what i figured. you also have to remove the rest of the mechnism on the valve cover right?

it would make sense, but i am not sure....

GPracer2500
11-02-2006, 11:38 AM
The only thing extra you'll want to remove is the little spring and plunger that sits in a hole in the head under the cam. It works with the auto-decomp mechanism and you don't want it in there without the auto-decomp.

Kaleigh
11-02-2006, 05:30 PM
i put a hotcam in about a month ago.. take the decompression spring out.. there should be a pin and a spring under it.. to remove the spring.. get a small philips head screwdrive and shove it in there (make sure it fits the hole ..lol). the pin should come out with the screwdriver.. dont leave it in there just incase something happens and it comes out.. dont know how, but better safe then sorry.. and thats all I have done..

Dweezil
11-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Always remove the pin and spring so it doesn't fall in to the engine.A pocket magnet works great for pulling them.