View Full Version : YOUr favorite shocks and Why

Ripitupfilms
11-02-2006, 09:00 AM
what is everyonez favorite shocks.. Post why YOU like them and which ones dont you care for..

JRP
11-02-2006, 09:05 AM
i like the fox float evols becasue there the air shocks.:D

krt400ex
11-02-2006, 09:26 AM
i am sold on the elkas. i have herad too many good things about thwm, and they r ide like a dream(i rode a bike with them). i also love how trick they look. i will getting a pair as soon as i have the money

11-02-2006, 10:26 AM
I MX'ed on some PEP zps shocks that were valved just about right for me and they were the shiznit but they are a lot of skrilla.

TGW_400ex
11-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by pilfered
I MX'ed on some PEP zps shocks that were valved just about right for me and they were the shiznit but they are a lot of skrilla.

Dude I didn't know 50 Cent raced mx!

krt400ex
11-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
Dude I didn't know 50 Cent raced mx!

LMFAO

11-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
Dude I didn't know 50 Cent raced mx! now you know all about that......

joeb23
11-02-2006, 10:53 AM
i like the custom axis but thats the only after market shocks ive ridden on.

infantry317
11-02-2006, 11:13 AM
I've had TCS and Elkas. Everytime I ride someone elses machine with PEPs on them, I wish I had gotten PEP. :( They are smooth :chinese:

leadman_09
11-02-2006, 11:28 AM
I rode a 250R with Axis shocks about a year ago and when your jumping or on a rough trail its like riding on air. the landing was so smooth it was like you really didnt land at all. But I also have to give Elka some props there awesome too.

PismoLocal
11-02-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm an axis man. I had a set of PEP and Axis shocks I felt more comfortable on the axis shocks so I sold the peps. Honestly I couldn't really feel the difference between the two though. It was more of a dumb mental thing.

FourFiftyFour
11-02-2006, 01:28 PM
I am probably going to buy Fox Evos over the winter..or PEPs, but most likely the Foxs because the wait time for PEP is horrendous sometimes!

Definitely dont like Ohlins shocks..wouldnt ever want to ride another quad with them on there! lol

Elka has problems valving your shocks right..and they arent cracked up to what they say to be.

TCS are great shocks if you are on a tighter budget...they work really well and I have always been pleased with them.

I am starting to hear good things about Stadium shocks..... I look forward to maybe testing some out one day.

Axis are also good shocks..but if I am willing to shell out that kind of money...I will go with Fox or PEP

WhiteYFZ
11-02-2006, 01:31 PM
i have ridden peps and fox evol's i would take my pep's over them..:p

Mean250r
11-02-2006, 04:33 PM
I had Elkas on my 250r and i thought they were good at the time (only shocks i really road that were aftermarket) then i built the yfz and i went with PEP..... holy ****! feels like im riding a cloud haha

jrspawn
11-02-2006, 05:02 PM
AXIS/Penske hands down!!!! Besides being the best shock on the market, the customer support is unbelievable. I have delt with them for a while now and from day one they have treated me better than any other company out there. Best shock and best company to deal with!

Justin

Mxjunkie
11-02-2006, 05:07 PM
I like axis the best so far, very smooth ride and doesnt give much jar in the handle bar's when you hit braking bumps etc.

extremeblastr
11-02-2006, 05:11 PM
i've ridden everything except for the motowoz shocks and as far as bang for the buck you can't beat works shocks , pep work incredibly well but they charge you big money for em , elkas have a good ride but horrible quality i know more then a few people who blew out an elka or two this year , the axxis are a really good shock at a semi-expensive price , i voted for the fox though because they work almost as well as the pep and they are way more versatile when it comes to settings

awsomeaussies
11-02-2006, 05:24 PM
I seen some PEP shocks for $595.00 with rezzies and just wondering if anyone has tried them? I've never seen PEP's for this price so I think they might be worth a try:macho
http://www.danacreechracing.com/categories/products/product-114.html

hardkoratvmxr
11-02-2006, 06:27 PM
I think that Motowoz is the best IMO.

fastyz85
11-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by awsomeaussies
I seen some PEP shocks for $595.00 with rezzies and just wondering if anyone has tried them? I've never seen PEP's for this price so I think they might be worth a try:macho
http://www.danacreechracing.com/categories/products/product-114.html

i saw the same thing and wondered how good they were compared to the other PEP shocks. it says that they are made for rec. riding or B or C amateur class racing. i think im going to save for them or some used good shocks on here.

Moto49X
11-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Well, first off, im guessin 90% of you that posted have only rode one or two different shocks.

Ive personally had these on one of my quads: TCS, ELKA, OHLINS, PEP, WORKS....

PEP's feel to me the smoothest and also have the most adjustments. They are my all around favorites.

Elka and TCS, i feel when you turn the compression knobs, you cant really feel any difference at all. Dont get me wrong, the elkas were very nice, but i just didnt like the adjustments on them.

Ive also ridden Ohlins piggback shocks that were converted to PEP's, they were on a bike i borrowed to race, and they felt extremely smooth.

Works are just the budget shock for a trail rider (although ive never rode Black widows)

MX MaNiAc 06
11-02-2006, 06:54 PM
What about Motowoz?

Ive ridden TCS and Elka.

The Elkas are better than stock but thats all i have to say about them. They are pretty smooth on bumps but i wasnt very impressed.

Now the TCS were amazing. My field is real bumpy n with my stock shocks i have my butt on the grab bar hauling through there. When i rode the TCS i was sitting on the seat and at whatever speed it was smooth as could be. U could see the tires sinking into the holes and absorbing the bumps.

woodsman250r
11-02-2006, 07:15 PM
I love my custom Axis compared to my Elkas which sucked. I can honestly say I liked my old works better than the Elka shocks. Also rode some PEP's that rode like a dream as well. However, I had to vote for Axis.

400exstud
11-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by woodsman250r
I love my custom Axis compared to my Elkas which sucked. I can honestly say I liked my old works better than the Elka shocks. Also rode some PEP's that rode like a dream as well. However, I had to vote for Axis.

Now I am calling BS on that. There is no way that your works were better than your Elkas unless there was something wrong with the Elkas.

ThumPIN_450R
11-02-2006, 07:38 PM
I use PEP's on my bike and they get my vote. Ride quality is extremely good and they sit nice and low for great handling. I've ridden Axis, Elka, and ohlins and they are pretty decent and would probably be better if they were set up for me. My second TRX will more than likely be on a Holz/FOX combo so I'll be able to let you know the differance then.

DJJ450r
11-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Axis, its the only aftermarket shock I've owned and I love them, I've rode Elkas and I hated them with a passion.:blah:

jrspawn
11-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by 400exstud
Now I am calling BS on that. There is no way that your works were better than your Elkas unless there was something wrong with the Elkas.

Everyone likes something different man. I have used elkas on a few of my builds and was VERY VERY dissapointed in them. I always say id rather run a stock shock than elka:eek: :D But i have ridden another friends quad with elkas setup from Elka direct at a national and they didnt feel too bad. But from my expierence with Elka, i wouldnt buy a set of them new. Just my opinion. And i just probably had a few bad sets, never know.....

Justin

11-02-2006, 08:43 PM
out of those ive only rode with ohlins LT on my bros c'dale moto and my progressive LT with TI springs on my yfz and when i was too young to really test the suspension PEP on my bros 250r, works on another one of his 250r's and works on his banshee... and and i like the progressive the most cuz its the only shocks ive riden set up for my weight...easily the best shocks ive riden on

and i also rode ur hybrid with the elkas...ill let u try my yfz once my track is done...see how u like the progressive suspension

Moto49X
11-02-2006, 08:54 PM
another thing, some of you saying you would rather ride stock. You probably mounted your shocks straight from the factory and didnt adjust them, or maybe a compression click or two. Sometimes you need to spend awhile at the track dialing them in. It also helps to have a different person valve them then the direct factory valving.

jrspawn
11-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Im my cases, it wasnt a shock adjustment problem. I know a little bit about suspension and chasis setup, the elka shocks I ran just performed very poorly. Also elkas adjustment setup isnt the greatest, sometimes too much adjustability isnt a good thing. I would say PEP is the most responsive shock to adjustments and axis right there. But still Axis hands down my opinion.

Justin

woodsman250r
11-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by 400exstud

I swear to you and everyone else that I am 100% honest when I make that statement. The valving on my Elkas were horrible and they would dive into every corner. I didn't have a problem with my works shocks but every person has their own opinions on shocks. I will never own another set of Elka shocks and will get Axis again in the future. Also you have to realize that this is a opinion poll on which shock is best. There will never be a set winner because it all comes to personal preference. Just because I don't like Elka and like Axis doesn't mean other people will feel the same. Thats why there are so many different companies out there, because each person has their own opinion. Just my two cents.

Ripitupfilms
11-03-2006, 04:59 AM
yes your right there is no right or wrong answer here just opinion.

extremeblastr
11-05-2006, 07:31 PM
well went riding today and had a the privilege to take a honda out for ride that was setup with motowoz and they are a great shock they performed very well but as far as i'm concerned they are no better then a pep or a fox so they are way overpriced...and as for those of you sticking up for elka i raced neatv this year and they had a booth setup so that they could valve and adjust our shocks however they needed to be and i had them do it 3 times on one of those days and was still extremely disappointed in the end so i personally will never ride another elka..oh and the works if your lookin to find the good ones go for the g4s not the black widows

trx400exxracer
11-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Stock rebuilds get my vote

I had my 450r shocks rebuilt by DeRisi racing and added the linkage and i dont think i could have spent my $675 any better

I don't like Elka because we have had nothing but trouble out of my brothers Elka's this year and they still arent dialed in.

i also liked my works shocks they didn't dissapoint me one bit

I had the works up front and rebuilt rear on my 400ex and that was an awesome set up

But i think stock rebuilds are the best

they are unbelievable and dont cost a million dollars:D

11-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by atvracer9m
yes your right there is no right or wrong answer here just opinion.

gloooop haha actually for you the only right answer would be progressive suspension...all of us factory yamaha guys run it haha and yea u spelled progressive right in the poll think not proactive

Nick110
11-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
well went riding today and had a the privilege to take a honda out for ride that was setup with motowoz and they are a great shock they performed very well but as far as i'm concerned they are no better then a pep or a fox so they are way overpriced...and as for those of you sticking up for elka i raced neatv this year and they had a booth setup so that they could valve and adjust our shocks however they needed to be and i had them do it 3 times on one of those days and was still extremely disappointed in the end so i personally will never ride another elka..oh and the works if your lookin to find the good ones go for the g4s not the black widows

Why does everyone think Motowoz are over priced. For PEP, AXIS, FOX, Ohlins, etc their shocks with compression and rebound adjust are just as much.

11-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Dollar for dollar, I like my 450R shocks revalved by GT Thunder.

Comp / rebound adjustable, resprung dual rate springs, revalved, and set up for my weight and ride style, for $600.

Ripitupfilms
11-06-2006, 03:47 PM
the progressive's are sooo nice i rode a yfz with them not even set close to my weight and they handled awesome

hondarider2006
11-06-2006, 03:56 PM
I will have to say Elkas....they are the only shock I have ordered brand new, they rode awsome, and their customer support was great!