PDA

View Full Version : z400vs400ex

ZSNOW
11-02-2006, 05:22 AM
i really wanted to trade my z400 for a 400ex but i don't now how happy i will be with a 400ex instead of my z400....does the 400ex have the power of a z400 does it handle as good?and yes i like the looks of alllll 400ex's over the z400 i got my z for my b day from all my friends and family

krt400ex
11-02-2006, 09:11 AM
i think that the EX handles better. it is not as tippy, and it goes exactly where u point it. u might be a little dissapointed with the top end on the EX, but it has alot more off the bottom. the power is kinda oldschool. it is more chunky and it is not as smooth. i like that better anyway. so make ur choice. i think that the ex is alot better, and more reliable

newrider4002001
11-02-2006, 10:05 AM
go for the ex after a few mods you will like it alot more then the z

northwest Texas
11-02-2006, 12:20 PM
It's six of one, half dozen the other. I ride a 400EX and my bro-in-law has/had a DVX or Z400.

The ONLY differences that are worth noting is the Z has a little more potential with mods to the motor but I'm nitpicking. Side by side he can beat me every time, but not by much. Basically the only difference is he has a full exhaust and I a slip on (on my stock motor)

Ergonomics, I like my EX better but it's because I'm used to it. Not really any other reason than that.

Handling is the same so don't let guys BS you on that. Side by side if you didn't know, you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference looking at the frames. There's not much difference between the two at all.

It's your money and I love my EX, I'd love to have a 450R but don't want to part with the $$$, but I don't think I'd get rid of a Z to get an EX unless economics had something big to do with it. I wouldn't trade just for looks but, like I said, it's your money.

ZSNOW
11-02-2006, 01:43 PM
does anyone around NH have a 400ex they are willing to trade for my z?probably not but i figured i would ask.

trx400EXtreme
11-02-2006, 07:05 PM
ive had both, and really i like the ex better. wheni drag race my cousin who has a z, he beats me by like half a bike length. but when it comes to trails and freestyle and stuff, the ex is way better.

ZSNOW
11-02-2006, 07:38 PM
i got my z for sale around here....

stuntman_12
11-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Hell... i'll trade ya... what model is your z? Give me some details!!!:D

prowler029
11-06-2006, 11:59 AM
a 400ex is more reliable but a z400 is faster. i have ridden both and i liked the suzuki better. but thts just me im a suzuki guy.

ZSNOW
11-06-2006, 02:02 PM
well my transmission just completely fell apart so i don't think i will ever buy another suzuki....we were out in the mud and my quad just stopped.before it happend i could feel it slipping(no its not the clutch) i tore it all down after i got towed home and first gear shatterd then everythign else broke.i don't know if it was just a defect in my quad or what cuz nothing i have is heavy enough to blow up a tranny

Kaleigh
11-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by stuntman_12
Hell... i'll trade ya... what model is your z? Give me some details!!!:D

do you want to trade him now.. :D

ZSNOW
11-06-2006, 04:24 PM
thanks lol:D i think i will go with a honda now lol anyone want a broke z400 lol

"THE ShoP"
11-07-2006, 10:09 PM
get a honda, way better bike,my buddy has a Z an he can never catch me!! the ex has way more low end wit a little work then the Z will

ZSNOW
11-08-2006, 05:22 AM
anyone have one to sell?

leadman_09
11-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Yeah if you want a bike thats reliable the honda is the way to go. I really dont care that much that the z is faster I like a bike that has the guts off the line and handles good in the woods.

prowler029
11-08-2006, 03:03 PM
i still like tha z better!

400exfan19
11-08-2006, 07:18 PM
the ex is alot better bike, the frames suck on the z's and the ex is more reliably, better handlin, and with a graphics kit looks alot better imo

ZSNOW
11-08-2006, 07:34 PM
well if anyones got one i'll take it off their hands:D

nlvredneck
11-08-2006, 08:42 PM
don't listen to them. i own 05 versions of both with the same mods exhaust, k&n, dynojet kit and the z does everything better the only thing thats better on the ex is the suspention is so weak it rides like a couch.

Honda4lyphe
11-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Hey man i suggest you go to a dealer or a used atv place and find one and test it, see if you like the handeling better, nlvredneck thats your opnion..this is ours to me the z is pretty tippy but its performance is pretty good. The ex is by far more reliable than the z, matter infact honda admits its one of the best reliable engines they ever made, its like a fourtrax 300, you cant kill them damn things lol.

400exfan19
11-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by nlvredneck
don't listen to them. i own 05 versions of both with the same mods exhaust, k&n, dynojet kit and the z does everything better the only thing thats better on the ex is the suspention is so weak it rides like a couch.
u obviously dont have both because u would definately notice the better handlin on the ex

ridfastorbelast
11-08-2006, 10:37 PM
ive own a ex for 3 years.. my friend have z, suggest to get ex, the z was always breaking, really tisy and trails they hated it, 400ex has better handling, more retability, and for the less money, it worth it, id u know how to ride it, youl be infront that for sure, i agree it as a bit more acceleration then a ex, but top end was really close.... booth machine are good, but z willl break a bit more, and u need to take care of him more than the ex because honda the best;)

I solded my 400ex last months, but im getting a new one really soon. CANT WAIT miss the ex dirt bike sucks lmao

sry if my grammar is bad. im french

nlvredneck
11-14-2006, 07:33 PM
oh i have em both and the shocks on the ex suck!go into any turn w/ speed and watch the tires roll under (@5.5 psi) because of body roll because the suspention is so weak, and don't take any decent jumps or it will almost bottom! just read it here, if the stock setup was so great people wouldn't be upgrading to 450r stuff. i bought the ex for my girlfriend and she liked my ltz so much better i went and got me a ltr. so now i have an ex to build or sell or who knows?

"THE ShoP"
11-15-2006, 04:45 PM
from what i've seen an heard the z is junk every1 that i rode an saw..there cheply made an break alot,ya want to ride or fix ur quad all the time,an whats wit the chain adjustment, garbage,the tierod ends garbage!! an the list goes on

"THE ShoP"
11-15-2006, 04:46 PM
an the shocks on em both are the same the z's are a tad longer.all stock shocks suck!!

nlvredneck
11-15-2006, 08:41 PM
well for a "shop" you need to go look at the bikes closer because the ex shocks don't have those little screws on top and bottom that adjust those little things called compression and rebound. as for reliability, i don't know who you ride with but if you ride em like you stole everyweekend and don't do any "maintenance" they will breakdown