PDA

View Full Version : A few 400ex chain and sprocket questions

Jgoad2
11-01-2006, 10:12 PM
I dont know if this has been posted before, but I recently ordered a 14t sprocket will I need to get a new chain or will I be able to adjust it enough?
-Also how can I tell if the rear sprocket is worn and needs changing?
-Another thing if i got 22 inch tires would that be the same as 15t with 20inch tires? Would it be worth it to have 22" for trail riding?

11-02-2006, 06:42 AM
1 tooth change usually the chain can be adjusted but some times cant depending on how streached the chain is.

A sprocket is worn when the tip of the teath are pointy. A non worn sprocket is flat on top so if its teath are sharp on top its worn.

and for your 3rd question the answer is yes.

And 22" tires are good for trail riding. So far with the 22 inchers i used i never got stuck but with 20" i have got stuck pritty easy on the trail.

Jgoad2
11-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the help, i think the chain is gettin pretty worn so i may have to get a new one. What can i expect to pay? X-ring would be my best bet right? and what about for tires if i were to go to 22"? 20" holeshots on the rear now, stock on the front and both are going to need replaced.

11-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Jgoad2
Thanks for the help, i think the chain is gettin pretty worn so i may have to get a new one. What can i expect to pay? X-ring would be my best bet right? and what about for tires if i were to go to 22"? 20" holeshots on the rear now, stock on the front and both are going to need replaced.

2" bigger change in rear is like going 2 teath bigger in teh rear sprocket

11-02-2006, 08:55 AM
i have a primairy drive gold chain and its strong

NY06400EX
11-02-2006, 04:42 PM
General rule when changing a sprocket is to change the entire package (both sprockets and chain all at the same time.)

I also don't think slow's anology with the tire/sprocket size is 100% accurate but he's on the right path.

BigValvedEX
11-03-2006, 03:47 AM
If you go 2 inches bigger on your tires you need to go 2 teeth bigger on the rear. Don't know how accurate that ratio is though. The larger tires make the top speed faster(excluding wieght factors) and the going maybe 2 teeth bigger will bring it back down.

11-03-2006, 06:50 AM
Well i mest around alot with tire sizes and sprocket sizes and found that 2" change in rear feels the same as a 2" change in the rear tires.

And your sosposed to change all sprockets and chain same time or around the same time cause if you put a new chain on a worn sprocket the chain will wear faster or put a new sprocket on with a old chain the sprocket will wear.