PDA

View Full Version : Difference in CRF450 and 06 TRX450R

44oEX
11-01-2006, 08:36 PM
I was just wandering, since the new 06-07 450R have basicly the same motor as the CRF450X, what are the differenced between the 06 R and the CRF450R motors?, I know the tranny and clutch are different and stronger in the TRX, but now that it has the same bore and stroke...ok lets say you would put the same mods on both motors ( in a quad frame ) full exhaust, filter, porting, hi-comp piston, cam....and they would all be the same, would the CRF still make more power? is the CRF head really better then the TRX?

thanks

400exfan19
11-01-2006, 09:21 PM
well theyre very similar motors, but the dirt bike is alot lighter which gives it a huge advantage

44oEX
11-02-2006, 09:31 AM
yeah I know that, but I mean if both motors would be in a quad frame, a 06TRX an a hybrid CRF450, all with the same mods, would the CRF still be faster?

11-02-2006, 10:26 AM
2 totaly differant motors.

44oEX
11-02-2006, 11:17 AM
well if they have the same bore, same stroke, and use the same cams ( aftermarket cams for CRF and TRX are the same )...how can they be so different? I know the tranny and clutch are different, and they won't bolt up at the same place, but just as far as power goes...whats different?

400exstud
11-02-2006, 02:40 PM
In a short explaination, Honda detunes the power characteristics of the CRF engine to better sute the desired needs of a quad.

krt400ex
11-02-2006, 02:44 PM
the 450R gearing is a little different, and it has a much more restrictive pipe, and i think the cam is a little more mellow...but that is about it

44oEX
11-02-2006, 02:55 PM
ok, so now back to my question....if both motors would have the same mods ( piston, cam, porting...), both in quad frames would they make the same power?

krt400ex
11-02-2006, 03:06 PM
in theory, yes. in reality, they may differ in maybe 1 hp..but that would be about it

Kaleigh
11-09-2006, 04:30 PM
i got a question.. I got a 400ex.. which motor would be better to put in and why.. the CRF or TRX...

44oEX
11-09-2006, 05:29 PM
well the carb on the CRF comes out the back of the motor on a angle, that will cause problems in the ex frame, but the kickstarter housing on the trx is higher up, and will hit on the rear shock rezzie, if you have a stock rear shock, with the crf you would probably have to cut your rear fenders to make you kickstart clear since it's reverse kick, the trx would be easyer since it's forward.

they both have there good and bad point, but if your good at fabritating stuff, go for the CRF, more power.

stocktires
11-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Ignition is totally different, Tranny is totally different, Porting and headwork have difference, Clutch is different, Cam is totally different. The CRF motor is lighter isn't it? Exhaust is different. Honda says the TRX motor is CRF like now..... It's more like a CRF than it was, but still way different. It really depends on which year model CRF your talking about. The TRX's are close to the 2003 I believe, but the 2007's are WAY ahead.

I'm waiting to tear down my CRF to see how different they really are internally.

Some say the TRX has more potential, some say the CRF does...
Each can get into the 60hp range with a stock bore, with massive torque.

11-12-2006, 10:10 AM
They way detune the motors as if they made it for trail riding. Every one that buys a 450 wants race power. I heard that they detune the motors of quads cause they can only have so much power stock or their called un safe to sell so they cant sell. If honda was smart they would have just beafed up a crf450 motor and throw it in the 450r. Same thing yamaha/suziki/kawi should have did. All they would have to do is put a bad pipe on it and it would keep the power down. The first quad that makes 50hp with just a pipe is going to be like the best quad ever. It wont ever happen though.

400exstud
11-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by slow
They way detune the motors as if they made it for trail riding. Every one that buys a 450 wants race power. I heard that they detune the motors of quads cause they can only have so much power stock or their called un safe to sell so they cant sell. If honda was smart they would have just beafed up a crf450 motor and throw it in the 450r. Same thing yamaha/suziki/kawi should have did. All they would have to do is put a bad pipe on it and it would keep the power down. The first quad that makes 50hp with just a pipe is going to be like the best quad ever. It wont ever happen though.

^^^Won't ever happen (again). Quadzilla was fast:devil:

Honda#4
11-12-2006, 04:40 PM
the R450 with just a pipe and filter makes 50hp. correct me if i'm wrong.