PDA

View Full Version : A Crankcase Breather Mod

ghott
11-01-2006, 07:52 PM
I thought I'd share this with you guys.

I've been seeing a lot of people on several different forums relocating their crankcase breather. So I thought I would do my own.

I used:

1 straight 1/2" fitting.
1 90 degree 1/2" fitting.
Less than one foot of 1/2" ID All purpose hose.
Spectre (K&N copy) Breather Filter
Hose Clamps
Zip Ties

It was a pretty quick job, I just re-routed the existing hose to the rear of the opposite side of the airbox, and installed a filter.

I decided to do it this way because there was only one 90 degree bend, and only about 7 inches of hose extended onto the current line.

This way, it kept the crankcase breather out of the way of the air filter, yet still inside the airbox where it will stay clean. No more crankcase airing getting shoved down my intake.

Quick simple and easy...only cost about $13-$15.

Pictures will follow....

ghott
11-01-2006, 07:54 PM

ghott
11-01-2006, 07:54 PM

ghott
11-01-2006, 07:56 PM

quader400
11-01-2006, 08:03 PM
what improvements do you get out of doing this?

ghott
11-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Probably 0 power gain....but....

I hated dealing with the crankcase breather tube sticking into my air filter. Every time I took my air filter on/off to clean it, that thing would get in the way. Now, it is out of the way.

I also didn't like the idea of hot crankcase air venting directly into my air intake. Yes it was filtered, but the idea still didn't sit well with me. Now, the crankcase breather is filtered both whether it is venting air, or sucking in air...and its out of the way.

In my opinion, $15 for better function is worth every penny.

And...doesn't it look cool????? I think so :D.

buck naked-r
11-01-2006, 08:42 PM
well i did mine alittle different.............i wanted it to pull in the air from the crank vent line......makes it rev better

ghott
11-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Lookin good buck. Do you have a picture of the filter that you used?

buck naked-r
11-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by buck naked-r
well i did mine alittle different.............i wanted it to pull in the air from the crank vent line......makes it rev better

buck naked-r
11-01-2006, 08:48 PM

ghott
11-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Do you run with no lid buck?

And is that a K&N?

buck naked-r
11-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by ghott
Do you run with no lid buck?

And is that a K&N?

no thats the filter that auto zone sells.........and no lid

i changed the setup some

buck naked-r
11-05-2006, 09:51 PM

buck naked-r
11-05-2006, 09:54 PM
intake

buck naked-r
11-05-2006, 09:55 PM
intake

buck naked-r
11-05-2006, 09:57 PM

ghott
11-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Very nice buck, looks clean.

450raider
11-06-2006, 05:38 PM
hey ghott, im interested in this mod i even ran out and got the filter but i had a problem finding the plastic fittings (this was all at autozone) and they didnt seem to know what i was talking about so where else might i find some? and secondly im assuming you used a hole saw to put the hole in the airbox but what size? and what did you do with the old hole?

ghott
11-06-2006, 05:52 PM
They didn't have the parts I needed at Autozone, Advance, or Pep Boys. So I went to Lowes. Go the the plumbing department. You can get the exact fittings, and the exact size hose you need :).

Old hole is still there, it doesn't bother me too much, as my airbox lid is already completely off.

I just used a big drill bit put the whole in the side/rear of the airbox. I suppose you could use a holesaw, it didn't really cross my mind however. The drill was sittin there, and I usually go on impulse with ideas :). The hole that needs drilled won't be too big.

But I'm contemplating doing something along the same lines as buck. Instead of running the hoses and such thru the snorkel, I'll probaby integrate the same type mounting procedure that I already have in place, just two different filters, one on each side of the rear of the airbox.