PDA

View Full Version : 440ex Reliabilty and your opinion plz (thinking of buying)

dpac
11-01-2006, 06:56 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a used 400ex with a 440 kit installed and was wondering how the 440 kit affects the 400exs raved about reliability and was wondering if anyone had experienced many ill affects regarding reliability with this kit installed. Also he is asking $3000 dollars for it and I was wondering if this would be a good buy and or how much I could fairly reduce the price. I'm not sure about all of the modifications, he says it was recently rebuilt and has all new gears in it and since it was rebuilt only 2 hours on the motor, it has no suspension/chassis upgrades but does have holeshot tires, stage 2 cam, after market exhaust RCM I think and has been "correctly jetted". I would like your opinions regarding the effects of the 440kit on reliability and the purchase. Thank you.

300EXrider356
11-01-2006, 07:29 PM
My brother bought basically the exact same quad for only 2300 but that was a once ina life time thing. I would ask like 2800 or 2700. On the 440 hand, my 440 has been very reliable, but it was done bya machining shop that works on hot rods and what not. I have been to the track and the trails, ridden all day with no problems. I did have an overheating problem at the dunes once. That was it. I would look into an aftermarket oil cooler or tank just as an extra precaution though.
Mike

NY06400EX
11-01-2006, 08:57 PM
WHat year is it? Have any pics available? What condition is it in?

dpac
11-02-2006, 04:42 AM
It is a 1999 but the engine is all new as far as topend and transmission, its in pretty good condition, runs, looks good. Supposedly was never rolled. It also has renthal fat bars, a wiesco piston, port and polished, K an N air filter. I don't have any pictures because I'm buying it locally.

CHEVYZ
11-02-2006, 05:14 AM
I have been running a 440 for quite a while now and have not had any problems with it. :o

QuadRacer18
11-02-2006, 07:43 AM
I bought a 2002 400ex with a 440 kit, ac nerf bars, full exhuast and more for $2,300.00. You definatly should try talking him down. You can get a 400ex with tons of aftermarket parts for 3k. As for the engine. As long as the engine was put together right(obviously) then you shouldnt have many problems, I know the 440 kits liked to pull head studs out so see if there are oversized ones installed. Also check if there is a new timing chain in the engine, the 440 kits stretch them more often than stock. Other than that I think the 440 kits are almost as reliable as a stock topend. Goodluck with your purchase.

krt400ex
11-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by dpac
It is a 1999 but the engine is all new as far as topend and transmission, its in pretty good condition, runs, looks good. Supposedly was never rolled. It also has renthal fat bars, a wiesco piston, port and polished, K an N air filter. I don't have any pictures because I'm buying it locally.

don't believe the thing about never rolled....i don't know anyone who has not rolled their machine, and i have rolled and flipped mine like 6 times...it is inevitable(sp?)