PDA

View Full Version : need help on tires.....once again

B450r
11-01-2006, 06:43 PM
i was looking at the itp holeshot and the maxxis razer.....
could anybody tell me any information about either tire......
wht type of ridin are each tire used for.......it would help out a lot..

THANX

zeus54
11-01-2006, 06:49 PM
i have been riding on hd's from itp for awhile now and i'm happy with the wear and tear of the tires (not an asphalt tire at all!). i have never ridden maxxis tires on my personal rig, only buddies bikes. they seem to love them. they seem to get similar wear out of their tires also. seem to perform similar under most conditions. i hope this helps, probably didn't though.

B450r
11-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by zeus54
i have been riding on hd's from itp for awhile now and i'm happy with the wear and tear of the tires (not an asphalt tire at all!). i have never ridden maxxis tires on my personal rig, only buddies bikes. they seem to love them. they seem to get similar wear out of their tires also. seem to perform similar under most conditions. i hope this helps, probably didn't though.

the hd's are 6 ply right...... do they get good traction on take off........

ghott
11-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Your question is wayyy to broad.

Which ITP Holeshot are you referring to? Which Maxxis Razr are you referring to?

There are:
ITP Holeshot GNCC
ITP Holeshot XCR
ITP Holeshot HD
ITP Holeshot MXR4
ITP Holeshot MXR6
ITP Holeshot SX
ITP Holeshot XC

Maxxis Razr MX
Maxxis Razr 2
Maxxis Razr
Maxxis iRazr

And those are just the ones that are off the top of my head....

Try to be a little more specific please.

B450r
11-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by ghott
Your question is wayyy to broad.

Which ITP Holeshot are you referring to? Which Maxxis Razr are you referring to?

There are:
ITP Holeshot GNCC
ITP Holeshot XCR
ITP Holeshot HD
ITP Holeshot MXR4
ITP Holeshot MXR6
ITP Holeshot SX
ITP Holeshot XC

Maxxis Razr MX
Maxxis Razr 2
Maxxis Razr
Maxxis iRazr

And those are just the ones that are off the top of my head....

Try to be a little more specific please.

i said in my first post a regular holeshot and regular razr

ghott
11-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Hmmm....I musta missed the word "regular" in your original post...twice.

zeus54
11-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by B450r
the hd's are 6 ply right...... do they get good traction on take off........

yeah 6 ply.........just put this way, i hate riding behind people with through rocks or mud, tear offs are a must sometimes and eating rocks......... my buddy will literally back off of me climbing hills because of the amount of carnage being flung at him.......i don't konow if thats such a good thing but it's funny to se him ducking and dodging sometimes:devil:

zeus54
11-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Hmmm....I musta missed the word "regular" in your original post...twice.

easy tiger put your claws away:p

B450r
11-01-2006, 07:08 PM
i thought u would of known wht i meant since there is only one tire out there called holeshot and one tire out there called razr......

ghott
11-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Sorry....

I'd rather not assume I know what you are talking about, and give faulty information. I would prefer to find out exactly what you want to know.

So here is what I know.

The ITP Holeshots are:

Not really an "MX" type tire, as they do not come in 18in. rears.

They probably aren't the best trail tire. The ITP Holeshot rears are 4-ply, and the fronts are only 2-ply.

They will hook up rather well, but I've heard they wear rather quickly.

The Maxxis Razrs are:

Probably a little better trail tire. The fronts are 4-ply. And I believe the rears are available in both 4-ply and 6-ply.

Not sure what sizes they come in, but I believe a 20 in rear is the smallest they make. So I believe these aren't really for "MX."

I've heard the RAZRs wear a little better than Holeshots, but thats just speculation. I have no first hand knowledge/testing on either.

If you want a great trail tire, go with Holeshot HD's or Maxxis RAZR2's. 6-ply and extremely strong. And they'll last forever!

DJJ450r
11-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I have HD rears and GNCC fronts and love them for XC racing, Razr2 fronts are just as good, if not better than GNCC fronts, but the razr2 rears I don't think hook up as good as my HD's. DO NOT GET HD FRONTS, there horrible:blah:

ghott
11-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Word. :D

I've heard from several different sources that the RAZR2 fronts are the only way to go. No matter which rear tire you pick, the RAZR2 is the best tire for almost any application.

Again, I don't know for sure, this is all "secondhand" type information.

Have you checked out "Kenda" brand tires? They have a Klaw type tire and a Knarly type tire.

I just bought a brand new set of Kenda Klaw XC tires, but I have yet to take them out for a spin. The Kenda Klaws are supposed to be an excellent trail tire, 4-ply fronts and 6-ply rears, and are supposed to wear great! They are also $190/set compared to $300/set Maxxis Razr2's!

B450r
11-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Sorry....

I'd rather not assume I know what you are talking about, and give faulty information. I would prefer to find out exactly what you want to know.

So here is what I know.

The ITP Holeshots are:

Not really an "MX" type tire, as they do not come in 18in. rears.

They probably aren't the best trail tire. The ITP Holeshot rears are 4-ply, and the fronts are only 2-ply.

They will hook up rather well, but I've heard they wear rather quickly.

The Maxxis Razrs are:

Probably a little better trail tire. The fronts are 4-ply. And I believe the rears are available in both 4-ply and 6-ply.

Not sure what sizes they come in, but I believe a 20 in rear is the smallest they make. So I believe these aren't really for "MX."

I've heard the RAZRs wear a little better than Holeshots, but thats just speculation. I have no first hand knowledge/testing on either.

If you want a great trail tire, go with Holeshot HD's or Maxxis RAZR2's. 6-ply and extremely strong. And they'll last forever!

sorry bout the confusion but Thanx for responding....

ghott
11-01-2006, 07:53 PM
No problem. Good luck on your decision. IMO, with a huge variety of tires, it is extremely hard to pick just one set!

450ERRRRRR!
11-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Prices very from store to store. I did a little searching and found I can get all 4 Razor2 from rocky Mtn. for a total of $290. That a great price! $70 each for the fronts and $75 each for the rear.
It pays to do a little looking around. I like the Kendas but I'm going with the Razors cause I've got them on my daughters 250ex and they wear great and hook up nice also. She is able to go almost everywhere I can on my 4x4 kodiak 450.

ghott
11-02-2006, 09:38 AM
This is true, but both the RAZR2's and Holeshot HD's are EXTREMELY heavy. Most people that I've talked to about these tires actually had to change there gearing ratio to something a bit lower because the tires are so heavy.

Remember, that is a heavier ROTATIONAL mass, which is different than just a heavier rider. Your quad has to work more to rotate those heavy tires.

450ERRRRRR!
11-02-2006, 10:05 AM
I wonder if we could find the published weight of both? that would be great! I'm pretty much a trail rider, so I think the razors2 are good for me.

Sjorge450R
11-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by 450ERRRRRR!
I wonder if we could find the published weight of both? that would be great! I'm pretty much a trail rider, so I think the razors2 are good for me.

here is some info. My stock tire and wheel from my 300ex weighed just as much as just the RazrII tire!!! The GNCC fronts weight like nothing and i have been using them since May with no problems.

ghott
11-02-2006, 08:21 PM
What tires came on your 300ex?

I would think they were radials.

I don't believe I've ever heard of a Radial being anywhere close in weight to a 6-ply trail tire such as the agressive Razr2.

mrnate400ex
11-02-2006, 08:55 PM
^^^^^^^^he means the entire wheel and tire combo, not just the tire!! i thought the same thing for a minute too!!!

ghott
11-02-2006, 08:58 PM
HMMMM, maybe I should learn to read the ENTIRE post. :blah:

Tedgnya
11-02-2006, 10:12 PM
this is my first post here but thought I would offer this.

I had just went through this myself... what is the best for what type of terain I ride. I ride trails here in Washington State, most are hard packed, yet some lose dirt as well. With lots of clay, rocky, rooted and rutted hillclimbs. I am new to the ATV sport. I have ben ridding and racing sportbikes for years.

I recently just picked up today Maxxis I-Razors for the rear and Maxxis Raz'or2's for the front. I have read different reviews of this combo on other forums as probably the better combo. Several GNCC racers are using this same combo it seems as well. I put ITP black baja wheels on the bike as well. The radial rear tire will give great traction while the bias tire in front will protect the wheels a little better I think.

I wanted to do GNCC tires from ITP but herd that they do not work well in the clay. The ITP HD tires I have ben told hook up very well but will not let the bike slide too well. Something needed when navigating tight trails. The i-razors should let you slide pretty well when needed as I understand. From my research it seems you can't beat the razor2 for the front. It was a dufficult decision for sure but am sure I made a good choice. I will find out this weekend.

The two links below have reviews of a few tires and the other link will show the weight of the tire if you click the brand you want to look at.

Hope this helps...

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/atv_tires.htm

http://www.atvrideronline.com/tested/100_0503_mountain_sport_tire_test/

ghott
11-03-2006, 05:44 AM
Great choices, you really can't beat the Razr2 up front. The iRazr's are fairly new, and a very nice tire. The only complaint I have with them is that they wear extremely fast when compared to other Holeshots or Razrs.

But as you said, they should suit your needs just fine!

krt400ex
11-04-2006, 06:36 PM
i got razrs out back, and i love them...they hook up like no other and the wear is amazing. they slide really nicely. i have about 60-70 hrs on mine and i still have about 40% tread...and i am a doughnut fanatic...and i have about 2 mi. worth of WOT road time, and i slide them on the road. they work great. and they r only $50 a pop from rockymountainatv.com (http://www.rockymountainatv.com)

B450r
11-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
i got razrs out back, and i love them...they hook up like no other and the wear is amazing. they slide really nicely. i have about 60-70 hrs on mine and i still have about 40% tread...and i am a doughnut fanatic...and i have about 2 mi. worth of WOT road time, and i slide them on the road. they work great. and they r only $50 a pop from rockymountainatv.com (http://www.rockymountainatv.com)

i jus got dun lookin at rockymountainatv and i couldn't believe how cheap the tire and wheel combo is compared to other stores..... i pretty sure that i'm gettin the maxxis razr with pro baja black wheels.......

THANX for the reply.......

krt400ex
11-06-2006, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by B450r
i jus got dun lookin at rockymountainatv and i couldn't believe how cheap the tire and wheel combo is compared to other stores..... i pretty sure that i'm gettin the maxxis razr with pro baja black wheels.......

THANX for the reply.......

yupp, no prob

bigbadbubba
11-06-2006, 08:55 AM
razr 2 up front i razr out back good combo

krt400ex
11-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by bigbadbubba
razr 2 up front i razr out back good combo

yupp///the razr2 up front handles amazingly well

dirt286
11-06-2006, 12:59 PM
just curious how come nobody runs the ITP GNCC tires. Since they say are for XC riding. I ride in coarse sand mainly and also having trouble picking tires.

450ERRRRRR!
11-06-2006, 01:01 PM
From what I've read they wear pretty fast.

krt400ex
11-06-2006, 01:03 PM
i have been told by a few ppl that they wear very fast, and they puncture really easily, but they give pretty good traction...

all i know is that i will never choose another tire...i am sold on the razr

ckasper18
11-06-2006, 01:17 PM
If you ride alot of sand the kenda klaws work very good they are directional in the sand you flip them around and the y act as paddles with really good traction both ways and wear extremly well very good choice for sand and hard pack riding

wildheer
11-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Comments: i have been running the razor2's front and back for a year now. I like the 2's on the back because they are really tuff and they have side lugs which grab in rut situations. However, they are very heavy and very wide and square. They dwarf the XCR's in the same size tire. They tend to push the quad in the turns, especially in the trails. They will actually lift the front end as they grab sometimes. They also don't handle certain conditions very well, like grass, snow or sand.
Question: I have been thinking about the I's. can anyone who has them tell me about them? Here is what i understand of them. They ride really good and absorb better than anything out there. They wear out faster than a normal tire. They keep flatter contact to the ground because the sidewalls give to allow this. BUT, this also causes the back end to be less firm and stable in back and forth riding. For instance if you were fishtailing, it would feel really sloppy. That last issue is my concern with those and what is keeping me from buying them. Is there truth to that?