PDA

View Full Version : Bus Accident at School

XCAdam89
11-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Well, two days ago, one of our mini buses, full of our varsity boys soccer team was hit by a dump truck. The bus was totaled, and two people are seriously injured.

A few of my friends were in it, none were really serious though..

One of my friends dislocated his jaw, and might have to get plastic surgery on his face as he went through a side window. Others weren't as severe though.

As you can see, the dash is completely wrapped up against the driver. The handle which opens the side bus door was against the drivers face.

A few of my friends also sustained minor stitches, bruises, ect, but were spared of any serious aftermaths.

Pictures of the bus, as you can see, it hit in the "Perfect" place:

Here's the article for those interested:

The morning after seven Fredericksburg Christian School soccer players and their coach were injured in a Bealeton bus accident, the school's students and teachers gathered in the gymnasium to count their blessings.

Six of the players already had been discharged from area hospitals yesterday. The seventh appeared on the road to recovery, as did varsity coach Lee Hilton, though his injuries were serious.

Principal Sharon Roper said she called the meeting in the gym yesterday so the high school's 320 students and 40 faculty and staff could comfort each other.

"I basically just shared with them how gracious and thankful we are that the Lord preserved everybody's life last evening," Roper said. "We are really kind of a big family here. When I spoke, you could hear a pin drop. The kids knew it was going to be tough for me to talk about.

"I consider these kids my kids."

The accident took place around 5:30 p.m. Monday when the team was returning from a game against Seaton School at Valley View Park in Bristow.

Hilton was driving the mini-bus south on State Route 28 when he tried to turn left onto U.S. 17 in Bealeton. A northbound dump truck struck the bus, knocking it about 100 feet from the intersection. There were 11 players onboard.

Another mini-bus with about six players onboard was following Hilton's bus. The students in that vehicle said the accident happened so quickly that at first they didn't realize what they'd witnessed, Roper said.

She met with all the players who attended school yesterday to make sure they were OK, she said.

After the accident, three players were taken to Fauquier Hospital and three others were treated at Culpeper Regional Hospital. All were released as of yesterday, Roper said.

One student, who was flown to Inova Fairfax Hospital, remained there yesterday, after having his dislocated jaw reset, Roper said. She expected him to be released by today, though he'll need plastic surgery to repair the lacerations to his face, she said.

The student, a senior, was staying with a teammate while his parents were on a mission trip to Haiti, Roper said. His parents were on their way home yesterday.

"He was laughing and joking and telling them they didn't need to come home," Roper said of the teen.

Hilton, a soccer coach at the school for more than 15 years, was being treated at Inova Fairfax Hospital for a broken pelvis, broken ribs and a broken facial bone, as well as a gash on his lower back, a dislocated finger and "lots of bumps and bruises," Roper said.

"He's going to be OK, but it's going to be a little bit of a recovery for him," said Roper, who visited with Hilton after the accident. "All he really wanted to know was how the boys were."

The Fauquier County Sheriff's Office is investigating the cause of the accident, said Maj. Paul Mercer. Initial reports indicated that Hilton had a green light when he turned left onto U.S. 17, but not a green arrow.

According to the Virginia Department of Transportation, that spot is one of the region's busiest, with up to 21,000 cars a day on U.S. 17 and up to 13,000 cars a day on Route 28.

In the past three years, 71 crashes have been reported there. This summer, VDOT installed a green left-turn arrow on U.S. 17 for northbound drivers trying to turn left onto Route 28.

Monday's accident took place on a different approach to that intersection.

Though a flyover is planned for U.S. 17 at U.S. 29 in Opal in 2009, nothing like that has been proposed at Route 28, said David Cubbage, the Warrenton Residency administrator.

"We're aware of this and we try," he said of the safety concerns there, "but there is no easy solution to it."

In spite of the scare, Roper said the Fredericksburg Christian School community was feeling rather blessed.

"We're very thankful to have everybody OK, and I'm sure the Lord's going to teach us something through this," she said. "We just want to express our thanks to the people in the community who've been supporting us, not just through prayers last night, but through their outpouring of love today."

http://photos-683.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v49/213/18/1573800087/n1573800087_30002683_3274.jpg
http://photos-684.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v49/213/18/1573800087/n1573800087_30002684_3555.jpg
http://photos-685.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v49/213/18/1573800087/n1573800087_30002685_3850.jpg
http://photos-686.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v49/213/18/1573800087/n1573800087_30002686_4130.jpg

firefighterjosh
11-01-2006, 06:44 PM
DANG!!!!:eek2: They got lucky!

R450HQ
11-01-2006, 06:48 PM
DANG

XCAdam89
11-01-2006, 06:48 PM
We figured out the science behind it in school too. The dump truck was empty, but it still had 7500lbs of force behind it. Had it been full, it would have carried between 25-30,000lbs of force and more than likely killed 2 or more people.

coolguy8769
11-01-2006, 07:16 PM
WOW!!! that is crazy this is like 30 minutes from me! thank god everyone is alright!! they will be in my prayers!

they thought about flyin me to INOVA fairfax hosptial if I needed Spinal surgery. It is one of the BEST hospital's in the DC metro area. I have a family friend that is the head of staff at the hospital

XCAdam89
11-01-2006, 07:20 PM
The driver of the bus is in pretty bad conditon. Broken pelvis, 2 fingers, back, 2 ribs, and a ton of bruises.

It really shows how much this guy was looking out for the other kids though, as soon as he regained consciousness, all he wanted to know was "How are the kids?"

IMO that really says alot about him. Considering if he wouldn't have turned the bus the way he did, some of my friends might not be here today.

It's really weird though. I had a friend in college get killed in Indiana coming home to visit by a tractor trailer, and now this. It really hits home how life can be taken at any time. I'm sure my friends weren't expecting to be in a hospital monday night.

derekhonda
11-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by XCAdam89
The driver of the bus is in pretty bad conditon. Broken pelvis, 2 fingers, back, 2 ribs, and a ton of bruises.

It really shows how much this guy was looking out for the other kids though, as soon as he regained consciousness, all he wanted to know was "How are the kids?"

IMO that really says alot about him. Considering if he wouldn't have turned the bus the way he did, some of my friends might not be here today.

It's really weird though. I had a friend in college get killed in Indiana coming home to visit by a tractor trailer, and now this. It really hits home how life can be taken at any time. I'm sure my friends weren't expecting to be in a hospital monday night.

Was this just recently? A girl who went to ball state?

JRP
11-01-2006, 08:10 PM
I herd about this on myspace, on a bullieten. Sucks to hear, thankfully the majority of the people are ok, and ill be praying for the others!:(

XCAdam89
11-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Everyones back in school now except for one kid and the coach. Most people just have cuts/bruises from the broken glass, but everyone should be well by mid-nov. I'd say.

LTZ400rider
11-02-2006, 03:18 PM
any law suits?

ilpadrino113
11-02-2006, 03:26 PM
when i was in grade school my bus driver pulled out onto a state road right in front of a car that was going about 65ish. the car hit the bus on the side, he hadn't even finished turning. there was only me, and my 2 neighbors left on the bus. Every window shattered on the bus and the 2 were almost touching (it was a big old cadillac that hit us.) Noone was seriously hurt but the bus driver lost his job and the school got sued by the driver, but the charges were dropped because he was speeding. this was al about 15 years ago.

I hope everyone makes a full quick recovery.

XCAdam89
11-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by LTZ400rider
any law suits?

None at all.

Aceman
11-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by XCAdam89
None at all.

That's fortunate considering it sounds like it was his fault because he failed to yield making a left hand turn. He had a green light, not a green arrow, he should've waited for oncoming traffic to pass first. You shouldn't be driving other people's kids around if you don't know simple traffic laws. Thank god no one was killed.:o

Toadz400
11-02-2006, 10:40 PM
And they say soccer is a pansy sport:o .

But seriously, thank God everyone made it out alive. Someone was definately watching over them that day.