PDA

View Full Version : Skid Plate Help

danniheyj82888
11-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Im thinking about buying some diamond plate and making a chassis skid plate. If anyone has done this can you post some pics? And is there anything I should know before I do it?

THANKS!

ghott
11-01-2006, 07:44 PM
I haven't heard of anyone doing this, nore have I seen any pictures. How thick of diamondplate are you planning to use? Make sure its stainless :).

I'm just wondering how well the diamondplate will hold up when compared to a thick ProArmor/PRM type skidplate.

If you end up making your own, be sure to post up some pictures, I'd love to see it.

quadwanter
11-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Only thing i can tell you is that i've heard of people doing this and they said to make sure to put the diamonds up (smoothside out). They said they would get stuck on logs they were trying to cross more often because the diamonds created more friction so they couldnt "slide" across them.

bananas
11-02-2006, 04:39 AM
If you have a 06 or 07... buy an 05 skid plate copy it and bring it back.... Why the oil holes won't match up... You just drill them in the right place...

Good luck....

red2004 TRX450R
11-02-2006, 07:30 AM
i started to make one but gave up!
you need to recess the mounting holes so the bolt head don't catch on any thing.
what id did was drill the mounting hole half the size then place a wench socket (around an inch size) under it then take a ball peen hammer and place the peen end under the hole. take another hammer and hit the other hammer to bend the metal into the socket and make a recess.

the ones I made look as good as the ones on my PRM.

----------- hammer 1
l l
U
------------ skid
l l socket

ryann mx68
11-02-2006, 07:36 AM
someone on here made 1 out of a street sign or speed limit sign or similar. looked good