PDA

View Full Version : Elka Shock ??? Help!!!!!

mopar 400
09-09-2002, 05:12 PM
I have a set of Elka triple rate shock with the SSD and remote reservoirs. The shocks have mnaybe ten rides on them, and now I am hearing and feeling a loud clunk when the shocks are fully extending while on the trail. It only happens when I hit a bump and the shocks go from compressed to extended. Is this the nature of the SSD or ?????????? I cant seem to figure out what the problem is. I have checked all the A-Arms and front suspension components and all check out ok...

Anyone ever experienced this???:confused:

mopar 400
09-09-2002, 07:07 PM
come on i need some help!!!!!!!!!! somebody must know.

ESR250R
09-09-2002, 08:06 PM
mine have never clunked but it might be something with the a arm extending more with the new shock then with the stockers.

mopar 400
09-09-2002, 08:07 PM
dose anyone think that maybe one shock is blown.:confused: :confused: :confused:

bluebaron
09-09-2002, 10:45 PM
iv have had mine for about as long as u mine dont do that

Atomic83
09-09-2002, 10:54 PM
Mine started "clunking" too, I blocked up the front end and lifted one tire and dropped it and it didn't clunk so i tried the other side and it did. I took my shock cover off and there was a little oil in it so it seems that a seal is blown. I called Elka and they are gonna fix it for free and pay the shipping, but since they're in Canada it will be a while till I get it back. :(

Dave400ex
09-10-2002, 08:55 AM
I haven`t had any Problems with mine yet and I hope I don`t. At least Elka will fix it though.

Razorback
09-10-2002, 09:28 AM
make sure all your a-arm and shock bolts are tight, including where the ball joints are connected. that could make the noise you're talking about also.

also...you may have a blown one, but that would be odd, but to help make sure they don't blow, make sure you have the compression adjustment knob set on one of the detents (or clicks). if you've got it between one of the detents, it can cause a blown shock...

oynot400
09-10-2002, 10:34 AM
My rear did that when I got it. ( I bought them used) I made the guy fix it. The seal was blown and only had 1/2 lbs of pressure in it. I have nothing but good luck with it since. I love these shocks. :devil

Tommy 17
09-10-2002, 01:25 PM
mine don't do that...

Extremeracer167
09-10-2002, 02:48 PM
SHOULDA BOUGHT AXIS :blah

Razorback
09-10-2002, 03:23 PM
yeah, i bet there has never been any problem with an axis shock :rolleyes:

09-10-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
SHOULDA BOUGHT AXIS :blah

because there over rated???:confused:

Dave400ex
09-10-2002, 04:13 PM
Because they cost a Fortune makes them the Best? :confused: :huh

Extremeracer167
09-11-2002, 08:30 AM
What are u talking about they cost a fortune, there high dollar shocks are about the same as Elkas???? Right???? thats what i htought. And plus how many ppl have u seen asking all of these questions about Axis shocks.....not many. How long does it take to dial in a set of Elkas......long time.....When i got my axis shocks, i was actually late getin to the starting line at the John Penton last year because i picked them up that day. I bolted them on, rode to the starting line, pulled the holeshot on the MX track, and held a 10 sec. lead by the time we went into the woods. Now if i would have had elkas, i would have spent the entire race trying to dial them in. Been there done that, Axis are better!

Dave400ex
09-11-2002, 08:37 AM
The high dollar Elka`s are the same, but have many more features like the Low and High Speed Compression. I believe Elka is the only one currently with that type of Shock. Not many people ask about Axis because most Guys don`t buy them because they cost a lot. My Elka`s were great as soon as I got them and I haven`t adjusted them yet Some Guys just get lucky. I don`t think your 10 second lead would of been any different with Elka`s. Chad Duvall seems to be doing good with them. There is no doubt in my mind Axis are good Shocks and I would buy them if I was to build a Walsh/Laeger something, but they are a little over rated I think. What all do you have on your 400ex?

09-11-2002, 08:50 AM
So were can I get a set of axis shocks,,triple rate, preload and compression adjustment for $750???? That's how much new elka's cost..

Lookin forward to your reply..:blah

Extremeracer167
09-11-2002, 09:26 AM
You cant, casue axis doesnt offer CHEAP shocks. There shocks are equivalent to the Elite shocks, they have special hardend shafts and all that bull crap....made for the TRUE RACER

chavez
09-11-2002, 09:41 AM
your best bet is calling elka they seem to be nice french canadians and always want to make things right. it took me weeks to get mine dialed in after it was said and done they are the best handeling shock i have ever owned and i have own axis on my 250r leager front and rear with a cr 500 linkage

09-11-2002, 11:19 AM
You cant, casue axis doesnt offer CHEAP shocks.

Of course they don't,,why would they want to meet the needs of all those racers out there that don't have a $2000 budget for shocks,, they figured lets just make the most expensive shock available shoot the price up to the moon and hope to god all the racers have a small fortune to buy our shocks and help pay the bill of Penski racing's 5 cigar boats...great marketing on axis side..:rolleyes: Now extremeracer,,I'm not bashing you at all,,many guys out here know that i have a big beef with aftermarket companies and there prices..:( Elka builds shocks to meet everyone's needs from pro down to Jim bob on the farm that only has $400 for a low end set of shock.. Who do you think he's gonna go to for shocks,,,at the rate elka is going,,they will be at the top of the shock market in a few years for service and sales. Elka seems to be looking at all forms of racing and riding,,and that's how they design there shocks...Axis,,well I guess if your a top class rider with a ton of money then you'll give your money to them....I guess what it boils down too is elka is taking care of the complete quad market,,Axis is not..Maybe that's why they got to charge so much for there shocks,,sales just ain't like they used to be??:confused:

Again not bashing you extremeracer only the low down companies that are raping us with the prices they put on their products..:mad:

SGA
09-11-2002, 12:35 PM
I hear ya Rico my brother! amen! (much hand clapping and foot stomping from the audience)

Extremeracer167
09-11-2002, 12:40 PM
I agree, but like the old saying goes, gotta pay the price if u wanna go fast.
And i honestly think that if u wanna be as fast as possible, u have to pay the top dollar for the expensive elkas. Which is the same price as Axis. Either way it all boils down to paying the cash to go fast.

cdalejef
09-11-2002, 12:42 PM
Last time I checked Duvall was running the standard 16" triple rate with rezzy. Retail price of $820.00
Thats the nice thing about Elka's you don't have to pay the big cash to go fast! You save money and get just as good of a shock if not better!

Atomic83
09-11-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by sgaexer
I hear ya Rico my brother! amen! (much hand clapping and foot stomping from the audience)

LOL :cool:

Extremeracer167
09-11-2002, 12:55 PM
Well the thing is alot of shocks can work if u have the shock builder come to your track and spend a whole weekend setting them up for you!! Most of us dont have that luxury like duvall has for him. And from what i heard he is running the same shocks as Benson and they were the Elite series

mopar 400
09-11-2002, 01:09 PM
Well the thing that I have to say to all the respnses is that I have a set of Works Triple rates with ressies, My Dad is the one with the Elka's, and I am very pleased with the shocks. Dont get me wrong the Elkas are awesome, and the constructyion seems to be way more advanced then the Works, but I feel for the price the works are AWESOME. I spent 480 for mine to the door, and have had not one issue. My dad spent close to 750 for his, and now has the issue he stated to start this thread. I guess it all depends on what you really want to spend on your suspension.

QuadTrix6
09-11-2002, 01:21 PM
you blew a seal foshizzle

Extremeracer167
09-11-2002, 01:25 PM
Yo ppl check this out, go here and look at the bottm left part of the site about Sept 13th!! http://www.hondamotorcycles.com/atvs/

Dave400ex
09-11-2002, 03:03 PM
Rico hit the nail on the Head. He summed it all up right there. Bill Ballance could be Riding a stock 400ex and beat Guys that were Riding 10 grand + 400ex`s. It`s mostly the RIDER.

09-11-2002, 03:15 PM
beat Guys that were Riding 10 grand + 400ex`s. It`s mostly the RIDER. So whats wrong with being a slow rider on a way fast quad?:rolleyes: ;)

Dave400ex
09-11-2002, 03:18 PM
LMAO. Nothing I was just giving a Example. :eek:

holeshot19
09-11-2002, 05:51 PM
wanted pic of front of quad with tripple rate elkas for xc just wanted to see what kind of ride higth you were running front and rear.and what angle is the front arms

ESR250R
09-11-2002, 05:56 PM
originally posted by:Extremeracer167

What are u talking about they cost a fortune, there high dollar shocks are about the same as Elkas???? Right???? thats what i htought. And plus how many ppl have u seen asking all of these questions about Axis shocks.....not many. How long does it take to dial in a set of Elkas......long time.....When i got my axis shocks, i was actually late getin to the starting line at the John Penton last year because i picked them up that day. I bolted them on, rode to the starting line, pulled the holeshot on the MX track, and held a 10 sec. lead by the time we went into the woods. Now if i would have had elkas, i would have spent the entire race trying to dial them in. Been there done that, Axis are better!

i know alot of ppl that bought axis and had to tune them to the specific individual. my friend spent about 4 hours tuning in his axis on his raptor. but ya axis is way over priced and way overrated. if i would have got triple rate fronts with adjust compression and a daul rate rear fully adjustable it would have cost me about $2000 (my friend spent $1800 on his raptor to get daul rate fronts and a single rate rear). i got my elkas for $1400.

Taco
09-11-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by holeshot19
wanted pic of front of quad with tripple rate elkas for xc just wanted to see what kind of ride higth you were running front and rear.and what angle is the front arms
here ya go

Dave400ex
09-11-2002, 07:25 PM
I will get some Pictures of mine soon.

jgfarmsracer
09-12-2002, 12:29 AM
hey mopar i think you blew a seal ;check for oil
the reason you blew a seal is because the speed knob was between the so called click's
and yes they are a little hard to set up right; but once you get it you can usually leave them on that setting

i keep a note book on the different settings that i use because i use the same bike racing in the woods or mx

tip; find the roughest place that you can ride your ex in 3rd gear 3/4 to full throtle then just try different settings and try to keep track of your changes it may take an hour or two but you'll get it

Dave400ex
09-12-2002, 08:21 AM
That is one SWEET 400ex. What all is done to it? Or what isn`t?

Extremeracer167
09-12-2002, 08:43 AM
Does that Maier Plastic hold up??? Im sick of breaking the stock honda Plastic!!!! I know my dads 400 has it and its pretty thinck, but its the old style.

09-12-2002, 09:32 AM
Guys I dont see what your beef is with setting up your suspension. If you want to just hop on and ride go back to the stock set up:)

Seriously have you ever thought that the fact that you can adjust it is what its all about. I dont care if you running Axis, elka, Tcs, pep or what ever being able to dial it in is in your advantage, that is if you can.

The only regret I have with my elka fronts is that I didnt get the high speed adjusters, damn that would have been sweet being able to seriously dial these things in.

Clay
09-12-2002, 10:04 PM
I have an Axis rear. It is currently being shipped UPS to The Quadshop to be converted to an Elka shock. :eek: Bet that suprises some people. (extremeracer167) That might tell ya a little something.

Extremeracer167
09-13-2002, 08:41 AM
Well i guess some ppl want to jum pon the bandwagon, i prefer jumping in the winners cicle :D

cdalejef
09-13-2002, 10:52 AM
OH PLEASE!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Extremeracer167
09-13-2002, 11:23 AM
HAHA, i love posting stuff like that.....cuase i like to see what ppl will say to me. Oh well.....life goes on :devil

cdalejef
09-13-2002, 11:26 AM
What class do you run?

Extremeracer167
09-13-2002, 11:27 AM
My buddy is sending his back to elka because the rebound adjuster know just spins......bet that tells ya something doesnt it(crhye250R) Those are really worth the 1100 he spent on them

Extremeracer167
09-13-2002, 11:28 AM
HAHA this is fun

Extremeracer167
09-13-2002, 11:29 AM
4 stroke mod

09-13-2002, 11:44 AM
Extremeracer167 HAHA this is fun

You are begining to look confused, maybe you could redeem yourself by making some pipe recomendations:D :blah :devil

Extremeracer167
09-13-2002, 12:07 PM
GREAT IDEA!! lol

Tommy 17
09-13-2002, 01:06 PM
i don't understand it everyone sits here and busts elkas says omg look at the problems but in the end they are probably just jealous and makin lies up bc they don't have them!!!!!!!!!

for the 740$ i spent on my shocks it was the best deal possible.... all u die hard pep and axis riders can go spend 1700+ on ur axis and pep, wait ur 6 months, and i'll be addin more mods to my 400ex and riding with my new elkas in a week...

just bc a few pros run the pep and axis b4 elka had a chance to sponser them don't mean crap... wait till elka picks up a rider like tim farr or creech someday and then all u will make a 180 the other way and be die hard elka fans

Extremeracer167
09-13-2002, 01:56 PM
No ill prob. always be Axis, they have been treatin me good, just like elka might be treatin u good. Im allowed to have my own opinion. If any of you guys say.....AXIS BLOW....DONT EVER GET THEm, i sure as **** wouldnt make a big deal out of it, ide say...cool. I ordered My Axis dual rate compression adj, Long travel back shock on monday, ill have it sometime around next week. and paid 750 for it. Thats there top of the line back shock. Oh well think what u want about your elkas, ill think what i want. Im a diehard Axis fan, dont see anything wrong with that, its a shame that u elka ppl do though. Oh and by the way.....it is true that my friends have sent there elkas back. Thats why i just ordered them Axis. SO go on, get all fussy about what i say about elkas, anyway.....what does it really matter to u about what i think about a company??????????:confused: :confused:

cdalejef
09-13-2002, 02:15 PM
My buddy is sending his back to elka because the rebound adjuster know just spins......bet that tells ya something doesnt it(crhye250R) Those are really worth the 1100 he spent on them He probally forgot to tighten the set screw!:rolleyes:

oynot400
09-13-2002, 02:18 PM
This is sounding like Ford vs. Chevy, John Deere vs. International. :rolleyes: Both companies have great products, if you want to pay the extra for the Axis and you can afford it, great. I know I love my Elka's, I wish I would of gotten them long ago.

I forget did anyone answer the guys' question that started this thread?????

Extremeracer167
09-13-2002, 02:19 PM
Went through all of that over the phone, their fault, they are fixing it. :rolleyes: hes sellin them now

Extremeracer167
09-13-2002, 02:21 PM
HAHA good point oynot400 i dont know if it was ever answerd. That would be funny if this kid is just waiting by his computer waiting for someone to answer the question, LMAO. Alls he wanted was a simple answer, and we turn it into a shock war!! lol

09-13-2002, 03:49 PM
What I think is funny,,, is I've handed guys with full Lobo II front ends with axis shocks there arse with my POS Houser +1 arms and works triple rate shocks and a $250 rebuilt rear stocker shock...:D And it put me in the winners cirlce just like extreme racer..:eek: I agree this thread is gettin fun..:macho

mopar 400
10-07-2002, 12:35 AM
Well in the end, the shocks were blown, yet I had them revalved and serviced by the great guys at THE QUAD SHOP, and now they are awesome. The Elkas are the best price point shocks out there, PERIOD. They can hang with the best shocks when set up for the correct weight and riding style. I am now changing from my Works to the Elkas. I have no doubt I will like them even more once the are on my bike and not my Dads.

DarkStarRacing
10-07-2002, 01:11 PM
You cant, casue axis doesnt offer CHEAP shocks. There shocks are equivalent to the Elite shocks, they have special hardend shafts and all that bull crap....made for the TRUE RACER

the true racer? lmao ..what makes a true racer? just cause you put the most expensive parts on your quad don't make you a true racer or not ...you should post less you would sound much less ignorant

And plus how many ppl have u seen asking all of these questions about Axis shocks.....not many. .....

people do post things about axis..try using the search feature

Originally posted by Extremeracer167 When i got my axis shocks, i was actually late getin to the starting line at the John Penton last year because i picked them up that day. I bolted them on, rode to the starting line, pulled the holeshot on the MX track, and held a 10 sec. lead by the time we went into the woods. Now if i would have had elkas, i would have spent the entire race trying to dial them in. Been there done that, Axis are better! [/B]

did you win?...didn't think so :D

DMC mx400ex
10-07-2002, 01:28 PM
elkas rock!!! i got mine(tripple nor rez, ride height adj. and ssd) and a set of +2 a-arms for 930$$$ shipped:blah i have gotten the a-arms, but now am just waiting for the shocks, should have em this week

trx400ex
10-07-2002, 05:46 PM
hey jeff@quadshop, why dont you ever try to sell anyone Axis shocks? how many sets have you even sold, i was just wondering, im pretty sure your an axis dealer but i never heard you even recomend them to anyone....do you not like them or something?

cdalejef
10-07-2002, 07:14 PM
No, they are great shocks. I've sold about 10 sets of fronts and a couple rears. I just think they are way over priced. The Elka's are just as good for alot less money. I used to run them but I just can't see paying alot more for a shock that is just as good as the Elka's.