PDA

View Full Version : hrc kit price

trx450jason
11-01-2006, 04:46 PM
i know a lot of people have had the kit installed how much did it cost you for the kit and for the dealer to install it? its for an 04 by the way..thanks

Prime
11-02-2006, 04:32 AM
I think i`ve seen that they pay around 5-600 for it installed. Not sure though. Just the kit goes for 250-300.

ghott
11-02-2006, 08:44 AM
No need to buy the entire HRC Kit. Most of it can be had for free.

Cut the airbox lid yourself. Cut the snorkel yourself. Drill out the Breather T yourself.

I would buy a HCS2 over the 04/05 HRC Cam. The HRC cam is an extremely top-end bias cam. You will actually lose power down low. The Hot Cams Stage 2 cam is a great all around performer, and is the cam that I use. It will give great gains EVERYWHERE on the powerband. And...it can be had for $140 @ www.WPPRacing.com

Then all you need is the HRC Needle, and 185 main jet. This can also be had for pretty darn cheap at www.wppracing.com

The only other thing that comes with the kit, that you won't have is the HRC Exhaust End cap. I've owned and used one of these. It replaces the stock spark arrestor, giving the stock exhaust a better sound. I saw no real power gain from installing the part. If I were you, I would save for a FULL exhaust from either Rossier or DASA. The real power gain to be had is within an aftermarket head pipe. The aftermarket exhaust will allow a more radical cam to exhale much more efficiently, yielding a much higher power gain.

HRC KIT Total cost = $300-$350
Do-it-yourself HRC Kit cost = less than $200.

With the $100-$150 saved, put it towards a nice full pipe. I guarantee you'll need one eventually :).

Of course, all of this is just my opinion. But I've been here, and done this :).

trx450jason
11-02-2006, 10:00 AM
i already have the exhaust so thats not a problem.. i was looking at the hotcams stage 2 also it was actually my first choice but how easy would it be for someone to install it thats never even had a motor apart before.. i can pretty much figure it out but would it be too far over my head to buy a cam and instal it myself?

ghott
11-02-2006, 11:05 AM
http://www.rockinhorseweb.com

On the left navigation frame, click "TRX How-To Guides"

It has all you need to know.

CHEVYZ
11-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Although I am not a big fan of Hotcams, I would have to agree with ghott regarding the 04/05 model HRC cams. I think that the Stage 2 Hotcam is a much better choice for power.

voltio07
11-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
Although I am not a big fan of Hotcams, I would have to agree with ghott regarding the 04/05 model HRC cams. I think that the Stage 2 Hotcam is a much better choice for power.

It thats the same for 06/07 model? the hotcams is the best way to go rather than the hrc kit...?

ghott
11-02-2006, 08:12 PM
The cam that comes with the 06/07 HRC Kit is actually the CRF Cam. This cam is not a top end biased cam, but actually has great gains everywhere. I believe the Hot Cams Stage 2 is a little better performer, but its not night and day like the 04/05 HRC vs. HCS2

voltio07
11-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by ghott
The cam that comes with the 06/07 HRC Kit is actually the CRF Cam. This cam is not a top end biased cam, but actually has great gains everywhere. I believe the Hot Cams Stage 2 is a little better performer, but its not night and day like the 04/05 HRC vs. HCS2

Its a little better because its cheaper right !

ghott
11-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by voltio07
Its a little better because its cheaper right !

For the 06/07 machines, I would recommend the HRC Kit, purely because it comes with a decent all around performing cam (yes the HCS2 is a little better), and it comes with the HRC Headpipe. The headpipe makes for some great power gains.

This is unless, you've already bought a full exhaust. Then buy the cam of your choice, and perform all of the FREE HRC mods :).

voltio07
11-02-2006, 08:24 PM
For the 06/07 machines, I would recommend the HRC Kit, purely because it comes with a decent all around performing cam (yes the HCS2 is a little better), and it comes with the HRC Headpipe. The headpipe makes for some great power gains.

This is unless, you've already bought a full exhaust. Then buy the cam of your choice, and perform all of the FREE HRC mods :).

yes i already have a full exhaust, its jetted and intake .. i was thinking of the vortex ingition and a cam but im debating in which cam ...

ghott
11-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by voltio07
yes i already have a full exhaust, its jetted and intake .. i was thinking of the vortex ingition and a cam but im debating in which cam ...

Ignitions won't do too much for ya, or so I am told. They will just increase the rev limit on your R. You can do the green wire mod and get a FREE extra 1000 RPMS on the 06/07 machines. To test and see if your bike setup will yield any power gains with different igntion curves from the vortex, you would need extensive dyno testing.

So, go for the Green wire mod, and maybe a Hot Cams Stage 2 :).

voltio07
11-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Ignitions won't do too much for ya, or so I am told. They will just increase the rev limit on your R. You can do the green wire mod and get a FREE extra 1000 RPMS on the 06/07 machines. To test and see if your bike setup will yield any power gains with different igntion curves from the vortex, you would need extensive dyno testing.

So, go for the Green wire mod, and maybe a Hot Cams Stage 2 :).

whats the green wire mod i never heard of it?

ghott
11-02-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm not completely familiar with the process, because I don't own an 06 or 07 R...so it doesn't really benefit me :(. But if you do a quick title search for "green" it will show lots of results, and probably describe how to perform the mod on your R.

From what I've heard, you just snip a green wire, and bam...your rev limiter is increased by about 1000RPMs. :)

ghott
11-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Here: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=224057&highlight=green

voltio07
11-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Here: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=224057&highlight=green

:D thanks thats new to me.... what other secret are out there?;)

trx450jason
11-02-2006, 09:27 PM
thanks that guide helped a lot.. i have the basically tools and i think all else i need to get is a shim kit anything else?

ghott
11-02-2006, 09:34 PM
The tutorial outlines all the tools and such that you will need pretty well.

I use the Hot Cams shim kit myself, and would recommend it. The shim kit needs to have 9.48mm shims, just FYI.

I bought mine from Woodward Specialties.

He is a sponsor at www.trx450r.org/forum

He has his own forum, you should give him a shout. I sent him a PM, and he replied very quickly with everything I needed to know to send the payment. After I sent the payment, 3 days later, I had my shim kit!

They also have a web site: http://www.woodwardspecialties.com

trx450jason
11-03-2006, 03:54 PM
yeah they looked liked they basically tell you everything how hard was it for you have you done anything close to it before?

CHEVYZ
11-03-2006, 04:47 PM
The cam that comes with the 06/07 HRC Kit is actually the CRF Cam. This cam is not a top end biased cam, but actually has great gains everywhere. I believe the Hot Cams Stage 2 is a little better performer, but its not night and day like the 04/05 HRC vs. HCS2 Correct for the most part. I find that the HRC cam pulls a little harder on the bottom end on the 06 models compared to the Hotcam, but because I don't have any direct experience I cannot do much commenting on that haha. I have never personally used a Hotcam in my 06, but I do have a friend that does...... comenting on other peoples bikes with those upgrades can sometimes be decieving, however.