PDA

View Full Version : engineering breakthrough?

450robot
11-01-2006, 02:56 PM
wow! this is cool! could be a new revolution in engines!

the MYT engine

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6224324724976235267&q=engine
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5433553047018998659&q=engine
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7238800781365222249&q=engine

the first video is and intro

2nd is a real life test

3rd is the inventor giving the skinny on it

quader400
11-01-2006, 03:25 PM
thats crazy. i want to stick one of those in my quad. so how rich is this guy going to be

CHEVYZ
11-01-2006, 03:36 PM
That is wicked! Don't really understand what is going on in the second video, though.

PismoLocal
11-01-2006, 04:05 PM
I wonder how fuel efficient those motors would be.

Jube450
11-01-2006, 04:06 PM
4000 ft.lb. of torque! HOLY CRAP!

Ralph
11-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Amazing.

Ralph
11-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal

He said about 150 miles to the gallon because of the light weight

MOFO
11-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Paging Wilkins!!!

I dont know... I see a few major flaws in this design... one being cooling and stress related to the internal parts...

PismoLocal
11-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
He said about 150 miles to the gallon because of the light weight
O sorry, I cant listen to the clips because a co-worker stole my computer speakers.

Live2Ride300
11-01-2006, 04:46 PM
It looks somewhat similar to a rotary engine

Jube450
11-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal

He said 150 mpg as a starting point

450robot
11-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
Paging Wilkins!!!

I dont know... I see a few major flaws in this design... one being cooling and stress related to the internal parts...

yah, i see what you mean by stress, i dont see what or how a lube source could apply to that design.

as for cooling, im sure a water jacket could surround the cylinder

MOFO
11-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 450robot
yah, i see what you mean by stress, i dont see what or how a lube source could apply to that design.

as for cooling, im sure a water jacket could surround the cylinder

I doubt a water jacket would be enough... did you see how many power strokes this thing has during each revolution. There is going to be some MASSIVE heat issues.

lghickman21
11-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
I doubt a water jacket would be enough... did you see how many power strokes this thing has during each revolution. There is going to be some MASSIVE heat issues.
the only thing that i could see would be maybe that the heat is pumped out of the engine so quick that there isn't as much of an issue as i would imagine. I think it is a neat idea but I think he will run into alot of friction with the automobile industry and the fuel industry.

ilpadrino113
11-01-2006, 06:29 PM
:eek2: :eek2:

That guy's a genius. To bad it wasn't invented 20 years ago so it would be in more cars today.

440racer66
11-01-2006, 07:02 PM
i dont think it would be a reliable motor

nosliw
11-01-2006, 07:33 PM
very interesting. it'll be fun to see how it pans out. even if it doesn't 'make it', at least people are thinking.

quader400
11-01-2006, 07:58 PM
it would put a huge impact on our economy with 150 to the gallon and did it run on corn oil?

Ralph
11-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by quader400
it would put a huge impact on our economy with 150 to the gallon and did it run on corn oil?

I think it could run on just about anything

TheFontMaster
11-01-2006, 08:32 PM
I can pretty much say right now, I don't think that motor will be reliable at all. Do the math, 4000 foot pounds of torque in something that small. The internal parts, will be just too small to take the stress that, that motor will be making.

Brilliant idea, it's just one of those things that will be too good to be true, and if they can build it to be reliable it will be massivley de-tunned, and expensive as hell.

motox450
11-01-2006, 08:35 PM
here is a similar design.
http://www.quasiturbine.com

red2004 TRX450R
11-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
I can pretty much say right now, I don't think that motor will be reliable at all. Do the math, 4000 foot pounds of torque in something that small. The internal parts, will be just too small to take the stress that, that motor will be making.

Brilliant idea, it's just one of those things that will be too good to be true, and if they can build it to be reliable it will be massivley de-tunned, and expensive as hell.

that is what I was going to say look at the out put shaft (because that is all you can see) even at a 1000 foot pounds that shaft would slap.

and see in the animation the compression piston speeds up and slows down you are going to loose all your power making that happen just like any other engine .
that thing would get hot!!!

gbcap
11-02-2006, 08:35 AM
i think it has great potential. it is kinda like the rotary but completely different at the same time and look how potent the rotary is. small motors putting out serious power.

i am sure there are ways to detune this concept to make it more practical for onroad usage.

i would like to see something revolutionize the motor. it has been 100 years since something MAJOR has changed.

sly400ex
11-02-2006, 09:12 AM
I would like to look at it with much optimism. Think about how far the standard combustion engine has come through extensive engineering. This engine is just a starting point, think of all development that will be poured into it.

There were so many nay-sayers with the engine that was essentially developed 100 years ago, and look how far it has come now. I would like to see the same with this engine, but with only much quicker advancement!!!!

Great job to this guy!;)

ilpadrino113
11-02-2006, 10:22 AM
^^^^ exactly.

The fist engines that were produced 100+ years ago were't reliable and got hot, yet with engineer the problems were solved.

I only hope it doens't take so long to figure that one out.

Ralph
11-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Listen guys, the guy spent something like 5 million dollars over 5 years alongside 10 engineers.

Im sure they thought of the problems some random joe schmoes are comin up with on an internet forum.

Sure, it may have flaws, but you should never even consider saying something negative about this because the design is amazing enough itself.

I saw more positive things said in a carved pumpkin thread:o

jcv400ex
11-02-2006, 11:30 AM
It's like a 2 stroke rotary engine. I think it has great potential. I'd like to see how he plans to incorporate spark plugs.

MOFO
11-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
Listen guys, the guy spent something like 5 million dollars over 5 years alongside 10 engineers.

Im sure they thought of the problems some random joe schmoes are comin up with on an internet forum.

Sure, it may have flaws, but you should never even consider saying something negative about this because the design is amazing enough itself.

I saw more positive things said in a carved pumpkin thread:o

Please don't confuse my comments as degrading this guys idea... This is a discussion forum and I was hoping to stimulate some interesting points - rather than the standard "oohhhhh.... wow..... neat.....thats cool....etc" response.

There are legitimate "issues" that need to be resolved and have not been answered - even on his own forum.

Overall I think its a great idea and hope it does prove to be successful. As everyone has stated, the 100 year old engine needs a major update - and this appears to be a possible solution.

motox450
11-02-2006, 03:05 PM
As far as I see it this design as well as the quasiturbine have great potential. As far as parts breaking and such, I am sure the guys who designed these ideas are fully aware of the limitations of the designs and potential problems involved in making them reliable engines. Are there going to be problems? Quick answer is YES!!! But as far as I know there are still problems with piston engines of today as well, and well they have been around for 100 years. These designs show that there are other ideas and theories that can be made, and could be a positive impact in the future. I do not forsee these designs coming in your Ford F150 in the near future, but at least someone is trying to make a difference. There are some other ideas out there with spherical valves that is interesting reading as well. http://www.coatesengine.com/technology.html These guys have taken a different appoach. At this point we are seeing the limitations in piston engines. There hasn't been a true breakthough in the piston engine in years. It is a hundred year old base design. Overhead cams, direct port injection, and better materials for higher compresion are obvious improvements, but they all have hit there basic limitations as well. Right now the only way the big manufactures have tried to improve fuel economy in big ways is like GM's active managemant system which shuts the fuel off to certain cylinders. If we are to break our country's dependancy on foreign oil we need ideas like these.

A A R O N
11-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster

Maybe, but even though that thing is putting out that much power in such a small package, it is very evenly distributed. With the donut style chamber, it seems to me like there wouldn't be as much stress as a HUUUUGE displacement motor with few power strokes and large displacements per piston/cylinder. With the design the way it is I think the only massive problem is heat, but as small as that motor is, what's the big deal. They can just make it twice the size to allow for significant cooling options and they'll still be so far under the size of the older motors that make the same amount of power. As far as reliability of parts, as simple as that motor is, maybe we would have schedule rebuilds instead of scheduled maintainence:eek: I bet that motor could be rebuilt in a matter of an hour or so....so.....if it needed to be done once every couple years, maybe it would still be more practical since you'd be getting over 150 mpg on 100% bio fuel. Besides, He said they already logged 1000 hours with a motor of that design in a ford focus...i think if a prototype can pull it off, they should be able to beef up the reliability concerns and cooling abilities and potentially make it a reality for normal cars.
I think it has great potential when the reliability has proven itself to the point of being a possibility and cooling concerns have been resolved either by testing or by design changes.
Now, if I can find a stock in the company, maybe I can make a quick few thousand:p

rockman
11-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by 450robot

go back and watch his demo again. he said that the bio fuel IS the lube. no more changing oil because there isn't any.

jcv400ex
11-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by rockman
go back and watch his demo again. he said that the bio fuel IS the lube. no more changing oil because there isn't any.

Exactly, just like in a two stroke motor. Now, this motor is producing high torque at low rpms. Doesn't sound too good for your passenger car, but with the right reductions, it could make a excellent semi motor. And for solid waste pumps, generators, air compressors, welders, etc this could be a great design. All it will take is one mfg to take a chance on it and everyone else will follow suit if it performs well. No one wants to be the guinea pig.

sly400ex
11-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by A A R O N
Maybe, but even though that thing is putting out that much power in such a small package, it is very evenly distributed. With the donut style chamber, it seems to me like there wouldn't be as much stress as a HUUUUGE displacement motor with few power strokes and large displacements per piston/cylinder. With the design the way it is I think the only massive problem is heat, but as small as that motor is, what's the big deal. They can just make it twice the size to allow for significant cooling options and they'll still be so far under the size of the older motors that make the same amount of power. As far as reliability of parts, as simple as that motor is, maybe we would have schedule rebuilds instead of scheduled maintainence:eek: I bet that motor could be rebuilt in a matter of an hour or so....so.....if it needed to be done once every couple years, maybe it would still be more practical since you'd be getting over 150 mpg on 100% bio fuel. Besides, He said they already logged 1000 hours with a motor of that design in a ford focus...i think if a prototype can pull it off, they should be able to beef up the reliability concerns and cooling abilities and potentially make it a reality for normal cars.
I think it has great potential when the reliability has proven itself to the point of being a possibility and cooling concerns have been resolved either by testing or by design changes.
Now, if I can find a stock in the company, maybe I can make a quick few thousand:p

This and all the last few posts are very well said....

Even IF the engine put out half the claimed power/torque and weighed twice as much, if they could tame/harness it, it would be a superior engine to what we have now.!:macho

BUT, I could see this ending up at the bottom of a lake because of the economic hit on manufactures and the oil industries.:scary:

rockman
11-02-2006, 09:19 PM
if you check out the forums on the website for this guy. You'll find everyone there has basically called their bluff. In fact don't quote me on this but i think i read in there where someone said the guy cashed in all the stocks and bought a yacht and is nowhere to be found. who knows, i did find a different company Rotoblock (http://www.rotoblock.com/) that were actually able to make a very similar engine run off of fuel. check it out

Tommy 17
11-02-2006, 09:39 PM
i'll take the video to a few of my professors tomorrow or next week and see what they have to say about it... they do alot of motor designs and stuff like that here at penn state!

wilkin250r
11-02-2006, 10:17 PM
That's a pretty busy crankshaft, I can see that thing having reliability issues. It has to keep two sets of pistons moving at different speeds against each other.

And, like Mofo said, that's a lot of heat. All the combustion happens at the EXACT SAME PLACE, and it happens four times as often as an ordinary engine.

Can you imagine the complications of boring and honing? It's one thing to hone a straight cylinder, but honing a complete circle? Not only that, the cylinder is split into a left and right side, so you have to MATCH the walls when you bore and hone, and you also have to seal the split against combustion.

11-03-2006, 02:03 PM
i dont think many people are going to be boring and honing this motor...how often do people even hone out a car motor?? almost never...but the motor is amazing!

I dont think it will ever be on the market for a couple of reasons....first off is rotary motors are already an improvment over your typical 4 stroke motor, everyone knows that, but yet 99% of the cars out there still have 4 stroke motors...rotarys have been around for a long long time and if they havnt caught on now, why would a more advanced motor catch on??

Another thing is the car companys, oil companys witch is basically our government wont allow it to happen....150 mpg...it wont ever happen....the country of Iceland already has their mass transportation system runing off hydrogen, why isnt it happening here??America isnt even trying like Iceland is...They dont want it to happen...i honestly beleive that the motors we buy and cars we buy are just built to faile and every year they get worse and worse...i dont beleive ill ever by a new car...Every new car that comes out there is more plastic and less metal...cheaper an cheaper to build= more profit for them

Bush's family owns oil companys. as do alot of people in our government, they dont want America run off hydrogen...i laugh when peopl say buch is trying to find and alternative to oil...he owns oil...and i dont see america changing their ways anytime soon....sure a hybrid might get 40 or 50 mpg but bottomline is that things wont change in this nation for a long time..so we migth as well get used to buying 2-4 dollars per gallon and plan our budgte around it

bwamos
11-06-2006, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Honda86
Bush's family owns oil companys. as do alot of people in our government, they dont want America run off hydrogen...i laugh when peopl say buch is trying to find and alternative to oil...he owns oil...and i dont see america changing their ways anytime soon....sure a hybrid might get 40 or 50 mpg but bottomline is that things wont change in this nation for a long time..so we migth as well get used to buying 2-4 dollars per gallon and plan our budgte around it

Who says that these "oil" companies wouldn't invest in hydrogen, or alternate fuel technologies? I'm sure they'd be glad to take that money too, and not have to depend on the middle east as a supplier. More money for them. I'm sure they'd jsut keep the cost of the fuel, no matter what the fuel at around $0.08-$0.10 / mile.