PDA

View Full Version : CB Radio help

OutlawEX
10-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Ok i am in the market to get a CB as i do lots of traveling and thought i would add a CB radio to my truck to bond with the truckers. However i dont know crap about CBs. So can someone guide me on a decent CB for around $100 and what antenna to get? Basically a whole starting kit to get me rolling. Also is their a way i can listen to the police with the right CB?

LTZ400rider
11-01-2006, 02:39 AM
look at a cobra. u cant listen to police. thats all i can really tell u. a firestik is a good antenna. just get a basic cb and its real easy to hook up, should work fine. i dont have any recommendations tho

Scott-300ex
11-01-2006, 12:19 PM
CB stands for Citizens Band and Police do not use them, CB's run channels 1-40 and Police use like 150-1000.

It is fun to listen and talk to other people with them though.

I have a cobra, fairly big, 7''x7'', my friends have small ones like 6''x3'', I like mine though, has lots of stuff, weather, emergency(which is 9 and 19 but a button that will go straight to it.) Like rx or somethin some button you push that gives you clear sound and no static, a scan button, a button you can program for it to go between 2 channels, then they all have squelch and volume.

I just went to wal-mart and got a CB and their antenna, cuz they were sooooo much cheaper than radio shack, and I'm pickin up 10-15 miles easy.

monson
11-01-2006, 05:09 PM
yeah and while you're at it, get a PA speaker from radio shack and hook it up underneath your hood so you can yell at people on the road. used to have one in my old truck. good stuff....

quadfamily
11-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
CB stands for Citizens Band and Police do not use them

They did in Smokey and the Bandit and on The Dukes of Hazzard!

quadfamily
11-01-2006, 06:43 PM
some have the channel and squelch controls on the mic. which is a nice feature.

Scott-300ex
11-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by quadfamily
They did in Smokey and the Bandit and on The Dukes of Hazzard!

1. Maybe back in the day in some places they did

2. WE DON'T LIVE IN HOLLYWOOD.

OutlawEX
11-01-2006, 09:28 PM
So really I am not looking for anything important? Just one CB is as good as another

rooster_20
11-01-2006, 09:40 PM
No man not every cb is the same. The best is probably a Galixy they are great. But you prob wont get one for a hundred bucks well maybe a used on but they are much more clear and reliable than any other.

coolguy8769
11-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by monson
yeah and while you're at it, get a PA speaker from radio shack and hook it up underneath your hood so you can yell at people on the road. used to have one in my old truck. good stuff....

lmao i found this hilarious!!:macho

something like that would be used by me alot! i hate it when people go slow in the fast lane and dont floor it from stop light to stop light:devil:

or slow people one two lane roads, i live in sprawling area that is busting out at the seams, the old country roads cant handle all the new supdivisions.

I-7
11-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by monson

I used to have one of those. You could record whatever you want on the microphone and the speaker was mounted under my hood. That thing was so much fun until it broke. :(

Scott-300ex
11-02-2006, 06:27 PM
No kiddin, there is 2 lanes for a reason. Right to take your time, Left to haul @ss!

And people now days go like 35 or 45 in a 55! Wuts wrong with them?

Today there was a guy goin like 20 in a 35 and kept getting on his brakes, I'm like wuts wrong, you going to fast? Why don't you go slower, or wait, NO YOU CAN'T!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm ALWAYS yellin at people on the road.

Then I go around driftin all the turns, LoL, they're prolly think I'll kill somebody, but I'm a professional! LoL.

400exrules
11-02-2006, 10:14 PM
i need a PA......i get pissed when someone isnt going atleast 15 over the speed limit lmfao, and i start yelling at them for not speeding lol

Scott-300ex
11-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Thats overdoing it.................but wutever!

Lostcause
11-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Go get you a Uniden CB...40 chanel with a whip antana. Two things to remember.....1) Make sure you set your SWR's... 2) Make sure that when you hook up the antana that the coax is in f 3 ft. sections.

1fst400
11-03-2006, 09:20 PM
I would like one for police chanels.. any tips on which one to get? I dont want that big ugly antenna hanging off the back of my car either.

Lostcause
11-04-2006, 05:29 AM
If you are going to put it on your car a K-40 looks good. But you still must go in 3 ft sections.
If you want something for the police and ambulance you should go out and get a scanner.

Rico400
11-04-2006, 08:35 AM
If you want to listen to the police, you need to get your ham radio lisence. Its a test you take then u can get a ham radio. Its just like a CB, but like way better lol.

MOFO
11-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex

Then I go around driftin all the turns, LoL, they're prolly think I'll kill somebody, but I'm a professional! LoL.

You are not a professional and if you are doing this on public roads, then yes, you are going to kill someone - its your arrogant thinking that's going to do you in. :rolleyes:

Scott-300ex
11-05-2006, 06:17 PM
And don't get 2 antenna's for "Better reception" Cuz it makes it a little worse if they're not 10 feet apart and you won't have them 10 feet apart.