PDA

View Full Version : New spark plug fouling????????

angelon400ex
10-31-2006, 10:30 AM
Hope someone might have a good tip on what to do....
2005 Troy Lee Edition Predator-original plug used for 2 years and after my last race my quad wouldn't start. I figured it was the plug and sure enough after taking the plastic and gas tank off and changing the spark plug....it started. Problem is went out today and it won't start again. Could the plug already be fouled again? What could be causing this and is there anything we can do after putting a new plug in to prevent this issue? Thanks so much for any help!

CannondaleRider
11-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Are you jetted correctly?

To rich of a mixture can cause plug fouling.

angelon400ex
11-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks but it has been jetted the same for the last 2 yrs for the HMF pipe on it. We did replace the spark plug today and it still won't start :eek2:

Kaleigh
11-02-2006, 04:37 PM
i know this sounds stupid.. but have you checked your airfilter.. mine was really dirty one day and my quad didnt want to start at all.. have you taken the newsparkplug out.. if not.. you should check it and see what it looks like.. you can tell if you are running lean if you are at full throttle/topspeed and the machine will stumble..

Kaleigh
11-02-2006, 04:39 PM
sorry i posted the last one before i was done.. anyways.. you plug should be the color of a paper bag.. white is lean.. light brown is prefect and black or wet is rich..

BTW correction on my last post.. if you are too RICH your machine will stumble at full throttle/topseed.. sorry for the mistake..

300excrazy98
11-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
Are you jetted correctly?

To rich of a mixture can cause plug fouling.

Kaleigh
11-06-2006, 01:21 PM
is it the right plug.. I have seen people try other plugs.. so double check to see if you have the right plug..

4TraxRider
11-06-2006, 02:25 PM
How does the spark look on your new plugs? Could it possibly be electrical? I had a bike with a bad cdi that would only run for about 20 mins on a new plug before it would die. Turned out that the spark was so weak as soon as even the slightest bit of carbon appeared it would foul, even though it looked fine.

Kaleigh
11-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
How does the spark look on your new plugs? Could it possibly be electrical? I had a bike with a bad cdi that would only run for about 20 mins on a new plug before it would die. Turned out that the spark was so weak as soon as even the slightest bit of carbon appeared it would foul, even though it looked fine.

I have also heard about this.. but make sure you check the obvious first.. dont do what I did..

make sure your filter is clean, check to see if you are getting sprak.. see if you are getting gas.. you can take your filter off and see if it runs.. if so then clean your filter..

angelon400ex
11-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the help...We took it to the mechanic and it was actually the valves needed to be adjusted because it wasn't getting enough compression. I raced it yesterday and it ran great!