PDA

View Full Version : 400ex clutch and valve question

interceptorz28
10-31-2006, 10:21 AM
So I have this 03 400ex and it needs a few things. One being a new clutch . I took it out into the woods to test ride it and the clutch would slip a little when I really got on it.
Well, after reading the forum, I am gonna put in a new OEM clutch and the Heavy Duty springs. How easy is it to change out the clutch?, I am pretty mechanically inclined when I have instructions.

I am either going to install it myself or bring it to Honda. But my Q is, where do I find HD springs for the clutch? does honda have HD springs?

Also, when I go ride, I have to fly down the backroads and into the trails ****************. When I do this I really open her up and I hear some valve noise. When I am cruising thru the trails and at idle I hear no noise from the valves at all. Is this the beginning of a needed valve adjustment?

thanks in advance

underpowered
10-31-2006, 10:32 AM
a clutchis simple to install. pretty straight forward. pull off the clutch cover, take out the five bolts on the pressure plate, remove the springs and presure plate. then take out the clutch plates. reinstall your new, pre-soaked plates starting and ending with a fiber plate, alternating fiber,steel,fiber,steel ect. then put it back together in reverse order.

the valve noise could be just your cam, or your valves may need adjusted. if it is not that bad and only does it at high RPM's i would not worry that much about it.

JOEX
10-31-2006, 08:41 PM
Make sure the last fiber goes in the slot that is offset from the rest of the stack.

And don't run from the cops;)

ondagaskiknass
10-31-2006, 09:33 PM
Dont run from the cops? Are you on crack, its the funnest thing ever... other than of course gettin a ticket for driving one on the road by your neighbor cop, then gettin a pic of him and his sportsman on the road and having a court date in december :D :D :D

GPracer2500
10-31-2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by ondagaskiknass
Dont run from the cops? Are you on crack, its the funnest thing ever... other than of course gettin a ticket for driving one on the road by your neighbor cop, then gettin a pic of him and his sportsman on the road and having a court date in december :D :D :D

Wait--who's on crack?

interceptorz28
11-01-2006, 06:49 AM
I generally do NOT run from the Cops. I stop for them because my father is a retired officer and I can usually talk my way out of certain situations....but, I like to get into the trails quick so that they dont see me.:D

NY06400EX
11-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Hey where r u from on LI??? We might be riding in the same area. I often ride in Kings Park (4 spots), exit 56, exit 66 and some "hidden" places in Morthport, Huntington and Syosset.

interceptorz28
11-02-2006, 06:56 AM
The Kings Park "Snake Pit". Thats what we used to call it. Gigantic freakin sand hill! It has changed in the past few years, the people that own that property excavated the land, not nearly as fun as it used to be.

Back to the thread.......Anyone know where I can order Heavy Duty clutch springs??

JOEX
11-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by interceptorz28
Back to the thread.......Anyone know where I can order Heavy Duty clutch springs??
C&D Racing (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36) :)