PDA

View Full Version : bad things not always so bad.

underpowered
10-31-2006, 09:09 AM
well i went to go ridn last weekend. got the quad out and jsut had a bad feeling in my gut, that something was gonna go wrong. well i went to start my bike, cranked over and it fired adn died, as usual with a cold start. cranked it again and all the sudden it lost all compression, my only guess was a stuck valve. well i finally got the chance to tear into it today, and that stuck valve may have saved me from much more costly repairs.

as i pulled the vavle cover off, the dowel at the end of the cam shaft had came out and the bearing on the camchain side of the cam was barely on the cam itself. if i had not stuck the valve and rode that weekend, most likely the bearing would have came off, resulting in much more disasterous consequences. so now i am only out the cost of two new valves (gonna replace one, might as well replace both) and gasket, when things could have been much worse, so i am kinda glad this happened, saved me some money in the long run.

northwest Texas
10-31-2006, 09:15 AM
better to be lucky than good sometimes ;)

underpowered
10-31-2006, 10:15 AM
I would rather be lucky than good anytime.

killed300ex
10-31-2006, 11:46 AM
thats good luck similar thing happened to me. My 400 blew a head gasket I rode it with it blown for a lil bit, then sent it to my motor guy to get some heavy duty studs installed w/ a new gasket. He finally gets to it after its been sitting in his garage for 3 weeks and calls me saying he ran into problems because my stock cam chain wasn barly hanging on two out of the three links that go acrost the width of the chain had broken and the third was already cracked another 2-3 minutes on that engine and it would have gone real bad.
Some times you just get luckey
Evan