PDA

View Full Version : More YFZ 450 questions!!

YFZ450LUV
10-31-2006, 07:09 AM
Okay, I dialed in my jetting. Next few questions for the veterans.

The red overheat light and fan does not come on but damn the motor seems hot. The exhaust steams a bit but it runs great with no pops or sputters. Is it normal to radiate heat like that? I am nervous to ride it for long periods of time, although it feels great.

Is there engine oil you would recommend for a stock yfz over Yamalube?

Thanks!

:blah:

RRP
10-31-2006, 03:15 PM
The only time my fan came on was once this summer when I was putting on the trails behind some really slow traffic.I have run it really hard during a couple of poker runs this summer and it never came on.My yfz puts off some heat also.Really notice it when going slow through the trails.I think most of the heat you feel comes from the exhaust pipe not the motor.

400exrider36
10-31-2006, 03:24 PM
yeah my fan comes on all the time in the summer when its hot.... and i dont wear boots alot of the time, so my pants usually start on fire... no joke! i have about 4 pairs of jeans with big holes in the pantleg..

YFZ450LUV
10-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Damn, I wonder why these things run so freggin hot?? Oh well, I'm going to just ride the hell out of it and hope it don't blow up.

400exrider36
10-31-2006, 03:32 PM
yeah they'll run hot... to tell a little story.... this wasnt really my fault, but my quad crank bearings went out (i was using a cheap oil filter brand, which has too stiff of a spring to let oil through..) and when i got it back from the dealer, there was a hole in the radiator from a phillips screwdriver... and i noticed a little antifreeze drip on my frame, but i just thought maybe the dealer spilt some when they refilled it.... well it all leaked out till the point of the hole, which was about an inch up... so there was only about an inch of antifreeze in the radiator and i rode it for about an hour and the temp light finally came on... the cylinder had to of been pretty darn close to the temp of the pipe