PDA

View Full Version : clutch bog on hills

Arctic Cat Dad
10-31-2006, 05:22 AM
We have an 04 70cc Cat. This quad just starting having a little bog on real steep hills. It has all the works in the clutch system. It comes out of the hole like a rocket, it will pull the wheels off the ground and spin and take off all the way thru the powerband great. If you hit a hill pinned it will eat any hill up fine. But if you have to slow down in the middle of it and pin it again it bogs down. Any thought on what I need to check? It only does it on real steep hills like 60 degree inclines or more. It use to be abel to stop on these hills and take off fine. It just started doing this, this week. It's got be puzzled, I'm just starting to get this clutch thing figured out some and I really don't know what to check first. I'm thinking the rollers. They have been in there for 2 years and have about 150 hours on them.

LT80
10-31-2006, 08:05 AM
LOL,. check the rollers for flat spots.
I think the rear clutch torque spring is wore thus causing a "spring pancake" on the hils.

Arctic Cat Dad
10-31-2006, 08:29 AM
Thanks LT-80. I'll do that. I figured the rollers were getting worn. Didn't think the spring would go bad.But I'll change the red spring while I'm in threre. The little guy loves to hill climb. The harder the hill the more fun he thinks it is!:D :devil: He loves the challenge!

QuadJunkies
10-31-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by LT80
LOL,. check the rollers for flat spots.
I think the rear clutch torque spring is wore thus causing a "spring pancake" on the hils.
thats EXACTLY what I was thinking :)

QuadJunkies
10-31-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Arctic Cat Dad
The little guy loves to hill climb. The harder the hill the more fun he thinks it is!:D :devil: He loves the challenge!
thats how mine are.
My kids like to shoot this hill on there minis,it about gives me heart failure when they do :scary:
http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/68994353.jpg

Arctic Cat Dad
10-31-2006, 11:41 AM
Quadjunkies, That is an awesome picture. That's the kind of hills he loves to hit. Throw in some rocks,trees and a few deer crossings and you have yourself a FUN challenge. He likes coming down them even more!

Thanks guys and girls for the pointers. One of these days I may be able to figure these clutches out.LOL

QuadJunkies
10-31-2006, 11:56 AM
Even I dont liek to hit that hill when its Dry... :o lol
Its fun to shoot when its wet.
Kelseys took mine up it last wk end,she had no rear end traction and got squirly going up it . :eek2:

this one they both cant make it up-BARELY and with a good run at it ,otherwise they will get stuck about 3/4 the way up :p LOTS OF HP ROBBING SAND...

I wish I had a pic of the backside of the track where the big drop off is.
Raptorchick shot this pic at WORCS
BTW...What Roller do you run?

Arctic Cat Dad
10-31-2006, 08:10 PM
I don't know what the weight is . I just told Michele what I was looking for and she had Rich fix me up with everything I needed. He hit everything right on the head. They have everything on their computer about his quad. I'll have to give him a call.

I can't complain about this clutch system. It's been in there for 2 years. and I've never replaced a thing in 2 years of racing. It still has the original stock Arctic Cat belt in it . I just tear it apart twice a year and clean it up. It has 16 National races,24 outlaw races,5 mx races,3 nights of dirt drags, and around 150 hours or more of practice. So I believe I've gotton my money out of it.

When I tell people this they don't believe it. They all say there is noway that quad can run like that. They all say they fool with their clutches all the time. The Malossi clutch has been a good 1.Like I said I just take a scotch pad to the clutch shoes and bell housing twice a year and throw it back in. And the conditions of most of these xc races haven't been pretty.

QuadJunkies
10-31-2006, 08:32 PM
I wish we didnt go threw belts so often but we do,same for the rollers . Depending on how much and what style of racing

I do have to say though that we dont go threw NEARLY as many belts as we used to going with a Malossi over a cheaper brand . For FT racing we didnt go threw so many parts as would for WORCS or MX. Were going to be trying a few dif things this year with the clutches and some dif kinds of porting ...
Were pretty happy with our Clutch as well and the gearing is dialed for the most part...

now we get to learn all this stuff with the Hybird-YAY! :ermm: :scary: :p